Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: A Sequel

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunt View Post
    I thought you'd say that... but then there may be too many...

I mean I don't think my Ideas would be useful (if I had any) so never mind
    I don't believe there will be too many. No single race is going to get more than two new jobs.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Ok sky long posts...

I'm sorry for rushing you I know what its like to write a Design Document as I'm working on my own game. It's FFTA like but it has different features and story and just mechanics!

I like the 3 different country's and the "Mystery isles". So will ivalice begin as a fully explored zone as I suggested? It would make sense. Are you making it a physical prototype? I've been reading a book (I really wanna be a designer hence the numerous ideas) that says physical prototypes are esential. A chess board with some extra pieces to boost height would make an excellent field and some miniatures would do fine (Or coins with arrows).

So does the Judges fighting in the war mean to a limited extenet that we don't have to worry about death for the most part?

Small suggestion: Make a quest where Goltana decides to save law cards and invade through a jagd.
    "Swordchucks Yo." - Fighter

"Every time I cast Hadoken it siphons a little bit of love out of the world to create a massive destructive explosions. They say the divorce rate goes up with each cast." - BM

How many swords could sword chucks chuck if sword chucks could chuck swords? Same goes with Nuns! :rolleyes2

"I cast Ice-9!" -RM

"I can steal stuff that isn't even there" -Thief (Yet he can't steal in the game)

Thanks for the understanding.

Anyway, to answer a couple of your questions.

I have hand drawn the map of the other countries, but I have not made a physical prototype for one very serious reason: The Treasure Hunt system. Since mountains, rivers, and all other geographical features in the original were determined by the person playing the game, I'm not quite sure what map to use for Ivalice itself. Also, if I am going to use the same system in my game (which I am not sure about), making a physical model would be nearly pointless.

Most of the time you will be immune to death, just as you were in FFTA. However, there will be far more lawless battles than there were in FFTA, and thus, a far greater chance of death. The problem with your suggestion of having the judges carry the anti-death laws with them as an inherent ability or support ability is interesting, but then if your judge fell in battle, wouldn't you lose them forever anyway? This might force people to defend their judges too much. So, in all probability, there will simply be a much higher chance of death overall than there was in FFTA.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Formerly NewBlackMage Fate Fatale's Avatar

Sounds neat... (only read the first post) however I HATED the clan system, laws, missions, and pretty much everything about the games (i used to like it, but it gets old really fast) If there would be a sequel, it needs to be from the original game. It had a way better ability system, and it was easier on terms of battling, as you never had pesky laws. I think many people would like to see a PS2 or PS3 sequel to it. Complete with fancy summons, and nicely blended terrain. (also to bring back all of the job classes from previous games. They left too many out, and changed the good ones!) I think your idea is great, but the story should be bsed on the original game, not the spin-off.

"Everything has a purpose. It's your life's mission to find yours."

Quote Originally Posted by Fates Forgotten View Post
    Sounds neat... (only read the first post) however I HATED the clan system, laws, missions, and pretty much everything about the games (i used to like it, but it gets old really fast) If there would be a sequel, it needs to be from the original game. It had a way better ability system, and it was easier on terms of battling, as you never had pesky laws. I think many people would like to see a PS2 or PS3 sequel to it. Complete with fancy summons, and nicely blended terrain. (also to bring back all of the job classes from previous games. They left too many out, and changed the good ones!) I think your idea is great, but the story should be bsed on the original game, not the spin-off.
    That's nice. Maybe sometime I will develop a sequel of the original. This one is a sequel of FFTA, though. If you don't like it, tough.

First, I prefer the ability system in FFTA to that of the original FFT. FFT was rather annoying to develop abilities in. Since only abilities got you AP, getting AP for physical attackers was a royal pain. Just look at the number of guides telling you how to set up to gain maximum AP as quickly as possible. You should'nt have to do things like that. In FFTA, everyone gets AP, without having to fight your battles specifically to gain AP.

Second, I didn't find the laws annoying. Yes, some of them could be trouble, but they added a new depth to the tactics required to win. No law is unstoppable. Also, as I pointed out in the first post, the laws would be less trouble to you than they were in the original, due to the new uses of the judges.

Also, the classes are not that bad. What's wrong, you can't play the game without your overpowered Calculators? Count the various classes, and you'll see that not a lot of them were left out. The Bards/Dancers, the Calculators, the Samurai, and the Mimes were left out. All the other classes either got absorbed into other classes, or were already in the game. Chemists are Alchemists, Geomancers got combined with Ninjas, Mediators got their abilities spread out among half a dozen different classes, to name just a few.

As to your saying what I should do, stuff it. I should do whatever the hell I want, and I want to make a sequel based off of FFTA. I'm working hard to make this as good as possible, to improve the things which most people disliked about FFTA. If you don't like my ideas, feel free to go to the FFT forums, but don't tell me what I "should" do.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 10-24-2006 at 02:19 AM.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sky you're probably better off just ignoring him, he wants to be a fool then let him be one but he came in to a FFTA forum to make a post so he can't hate the game half as much as he claims if he actually made the effort to come in to here to say that then well sad really isn't it?

skyblade this sounds interesting and i not sure how old this is but if your still working on this please keep me updated because i would like to help in any way possible
    Illusions can kill if you believe in them-Rajzin

Formerly NewBlackMage Fate Fatale's Avatar

Sorry if I offended you! I was giving helpful critiscism, and I don't enjoy being flamed for doing so. Just because I said that I didn't like the game much doesn't mean that I can't play it. Why I though laws were annoying was because you had to have the right anti-law and if you didn't, you'd have to either quit the battle or get a game over. Sure, you're supposed to look and make sure that the laws are right for you, and I do. Sometimes though, it gets annoying to waste countless minutes running around a town because the laws don't suit your needs.

And as for the job classes, I've NEVER used calculators. I hated the things. I just want my excellent geomancer with dancing skills back.

For abilities, I, too, dislike the whole AP based on attacks. The AP per battle system was way better. However, having to have the weapon to learn the ability was extremely annoying, especially when you've got all skills masted on every job and you can't get combos because you don't have the weapon for it.

"Everything has a purpose. It's your life's mission to find yours."

Quote Originally Posted by Fates Forgotten View Post
    Sorry if I offended you! I was giving helpful critiscism, and I don't enjoy being flamed for doing so. Just because I said that I didn't like the game much doesn't mean that I can't play it. Why I though laws were annoying was because you had to have the right anti-law and if you didn't, you'd have to either quit the battle or get a game over. Sure, you're supposed to look and make sure that the laws are right for you, and I do. Sometimes though, it gets annoying to waste countless minutes running around a town because the laws don't suit your needs.

And as for the job classes, I've NEVER used calculators. I hated the things. I just want my excellent geomancer with dancing skills back.

For abilities, I, too, dislike the whole AP based on attacks. The AP per battle system was way better. However, having to have the weapon to learn the ability was extremely annoying, especially when you've got all skills masted on every job and you can't get combos because you don't have the weapon for it.
    Sorry for being so harsh. Your post just seemed to ignore everything that I had set out to accomplish. The purposes of this project were: To create a fun storyline (and, once that received a positive reaction) and game based on FFTA, and to address all the points that are generally received as the negative aspects of FFTA and improve them. You complained about the things you disliked in FFTA, without seeming to have noticed that part of this project is to correct those shortcomings. And then you seemed to be telling me to base it on FFT, which, since this is my project, was a little annoying. I've put a lot of work into this, trying to make the story, the world, the classes, everything in this as good as I can, and to have someone come in and tell me that I'm completely wrong and should start over is a little annoying. This is based on FFTA, and it will remain that way. Maybe someday I will work something like this from FFT (although, since I haven't finished that game, I'm not at all sure that a sequel to that will work anywhere near as well as this sequel seems to be. It might be very difficult to get the perfect plot continuity that I have achieved with this idea), but there is nothing wrong with making one from FFTA.

Geomancer abilities are various elementals abilities that damage and inflict status effects, correct? In other words, they are the Ninja veils in FFTA. Dancers may not be there anymore, but losing one class shouldn't ruin the game for you.

Ok, decent point. Weapon gathering could be annoying. On the other hand, it was, in my opinion, less annoying to gather weapons than it was to AP farm in FFT, especially considering how much AP farming you had to do to get some of the higher level jobs and abilities. I probably won't change the ability system in the sequel, but I might try to figure out a way to make weapon gathering less annoying.

Once again, I apologize most humbly for the double posting, but since editing my previous post wouldn't let you know about the new stuff I'm posting, I feel I have little choice.

I have been considering the problems with the weapon gathering system. As has been pointed out, gathering weapons to learn abilties can be annoying. I remember in my first game how long it took to get Thundaga because I couldn't get the correct weapon. In an attempt to overcome this problem, I have decided to make a two pronged solution. First, as in FFTA, shops will be updated as the game progresses, and more of the weapons will be availible through shop updates. Of course, you may be lucky enough to get a weapon you need before the shop update that carries it comes around, but the point is that if you are unlucky enough to get the same weapon over and over, you can still pick up the new abilities by buying the weapons at the shops. However, some of the weapons that teach really powerful abilities, such as the Nosada, won't be availible through the shops at all, of course. However, to ensure that you can still get them, I plan to have some additional sidequests which, in addition to their standard quest item/random rewards, will be guaranteed to drop a particular powerful ability weapon.

Default Let us help

Sky, alot of people have been commenting about wanting to help out in any way we/they can. I know you are very busy working on the storyline/geography/classes and who knows what else, but if we could do anything to keep your creative juices flowing, just tell us.

For example, we could be designing weapons and armor at the moment, but we don't know what jobs you plan on keeping, so doing so might be pointless. Or we could be doing something more trivial like... I don't know... suggesting names for parts of the other countries?

Anyways, just letting you know that we're here for more than just praising/cursing at you. See ya.

Ohh... Ninja's should be able to use conceal like Snipers... just saying.
    87% of statistics are made up on the spot. Is this one?

Think like you'll live forever, live like you'll die tomorrow.

Well, I knew that, but I was expecting you to come up with additions on your own, didn't think I'd have to give orders/suggestions.

Anyway, new weapons will be fine. All the weapon types in the first game will be in the sequel, along with both 1 and 2 handed axes. The equipment list I created is on the main EOFF page (finally), so you guys can check there to get a general idea about what sort of stats weapons should give. We definitely need new Greatswords and Broadswords, at least to bring their damage closer to the one handed weapons, since right now there is absolutely no reason to use them. And have fun designing Axes, just be sure to have wimpy weapons as well as more powerful ones. I'll add in abilities later. Also, a basic idea for axes is to have them be more powerful, but lower Evade by 5 to 10.

Both Assassins and Ninja should be able to use Conceal, I don't know why they didn't get it in the original. But I'll think about adding it to the Ninja moveset.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Once again, I apologize most humbly for the double posting, but since editing my previous post wouldn't let you know about the new stuff I'm posting, I feel I have little choice.

I have been considering the problems with the weapon gathering system. As has been pointed out, gathering weapons to learn abilties can be annoying. I remember in my first game how long it took to get Thundaga because I couldn't get the correct weapon. In an attempt to overcome this problem, I have decided to make a two pronged solution. First, as in FFTA, shops will be updated as the game progresses, and more of the weapons will be availible through shop updates. Of course, you may be lucky enough to get a weapon you need before the shop update that carries it comes around, but the point is that if you are unlucky enough to get the same weapon over and over, you can still pick up the new abilities by buying the weapons at the shops. However, some of the weapons that teach really powerful abilities, such as the Nosada, won't be availible through the shops at all, of course. However, to ensure that you can still get them, I plan to have some additional sidequests which, in addition to their standard quest item/random rewards, will be guaranteed to drop a particular powerful ability weapon.
    but isnt this system already in place? store upkeeps i believe are based on the amount of battles you have fought, and random drops of higher weapons can also be found.

as for some weapons, its always good to have all moogles and humans know thier steals ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power View Post
    So far playing WoW, I've shouted "ROFLCOPTER" on no less than fifteen occasions, danced as a bear at the end of a ship, and compared the Klu Klux Klan to cereal.

The system is already somewhat in place, I am simply going to expand upon it. There will be more store updates in the sequel, and more weapons availible as specific quest rewards, instead of random quest rewards.

Weapon Ideas:

Tomahawk (axe 1-handed)
    Description: An axe used by savaged
    Attack 55
    Defense 0
    Magic Power 0
    Magic resistence 0
    speed 2
    Evasion -5

Another weapon:

Hatchet (axe 1-handed)
    Description: An axe used to chop wood
    Attack 25
    defense 0
    Magic Power 0
    Magic Resistence 0
    speed 1
    Evasion -3

Hatchet would be one of the much more basic weapons of its type, like Jack Knife for daggers. I thought that both Tomahawks and hatchets were so light, they might as well give a little speed boost. Criticise if you want.
    87% of statistics are made up on the spot. Is this one?

Think like you'll live forever, live like you'll die tomorrow.