Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: A Sequel

Default A Sequel

Some people have complained that FFTA is too kiddy, and that it's plot is too light (especially compared to the darker storyline of the war in FFT). My initial reaction to this was to present my Comprehensive Theory on the Fate of Ivalice, it has come to my attention that another way to solve this problem could be to create a sequel. If set a few years after the events in FFTA, the characters would be older. And the events are already set up for a far more serious plot than FFTA's. So, since this forum is getting quiet again, I figured I might as well present my idea of a sequel for FFTA. It involves quite a bit of backstory, but if ever they are to make a sequel to FFTA, this is what I would want it to be. Enjoy.

Since the laws were first created in Ivalice, the country has enjoyed a lasting peace with other countries, due to the fact that the powerful magic that formed the laws served to make sure that citizens (and thus soldiers) of Ivalice could not die in any battle attended by a judge. The laws also made the judges themselves all but invincible. So, immune to the constant border disputes that plagued other countries, Ivalice grew and prospered, eventually disbanding its army entirely and merely counting on the growing number of clans to repel any invaders foolish enough to attack. It became a neutral country, mediating treaties between its neighbors, and trading across the continent. But, as always, success breeds enemies. Most other nations were jealous of Ivalice. But there was nothing they could do. The laws could not be duplicated, nor could they be broken. Until the famed Nu Mou hermetic, Ezel Berbier found a way to negate laws. His antilaws did not affect the primary purpose of the law, that of preventing death and protecting the judges, but they did show that the laws were not as all-powerful as had previously been believed. Such a monumental discovery could not be kept secret, especially with so much trade going on. Shortly after the creation of the antilaws, the royal family left Ivalice, leaving no successor to the throne. The judge of Sphrom, the judge in charge of the prison, attempted to claim the title of Judgemaster and from there fill the power vacuum left by the royal family, and used the newly invented "Blank Card" laws to help achieve this goal, but the Liberators, Clan Ultima (no, I'm not going to call it Nutsy), working together with Judgemaster Cid, managed to stop that bid for power and bring some stability to Ivalice. But the damage was done. Modifications to the law were becoming ever more common and more powerful. Approximately five years after the Judge rebellion was ended, Ivalice's great peace was shattered. A skirmish between members of Clan Doned and a division of troops from Goltana, one of Ivalice's most militaristic neighbors, ended victoriously, but at an unprecedented cost. For Goltana had worked long and hard to perfect antilaws, and, though they lost that battle, they killed five members of Clan Doned, as well as the judge who was overseeing the battle. Within a week, despite the great leadership of Judgemaster Cid, the judges had split up. With no ruling body on the throne, and not even the assurance of the invincibility the laws were supposed to ensure, many of the judges went to the clans. Though they still followed the rules of the law, and would respond and report to the Judgemaster, they also began to fight in battles directly, and used their powers to manipulate the laws more towards the favor of their clans. The infighting among the clans ended overnight. For Ivalice's long dream was over. The Judge War had come.

What do you think? Would that make a good sequel or what? As I hinted, Judges would now be a playable class, with some pretty nifty abilities that would make the laws less annoying.

Feel free to post your own thoughts and ideas on this, as well as presenting your own ideas about what would make a good sequel.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

damned good idea really id post more if i wasnt in such a hurry so maybe tommorow

{of to metallica}

see ya later
    Too big. <-- yeah i heard that one before

swell idea and i do believe a sequel that's bound to come out sooner or later. never played a game with a lv. #50 max, so maybe it will be sort of like the Xenosaga installations...

New Class: Judge
    A-Ability Set: Law
    -Weapon (Forbids a weapon type)
    -Ability (Forbids an A-Ability set [cannot forbid Law] or Fight)
    -Status (Forbids inflicting a particular status effect [not status weapons])
    -Element (Forbids elemental attacks or healing [not elemental weapons])
    -Cancellation (Cancels a current law)
    -Impartiality (Awards JP to both friend and foe)
    -Judge Sword
    C-Ability:
    -Judge Combo (Failproof combo ability for Judges)

At first glance, these guys might seem overpowered. But they're not, really. As with the original FFTA, the number of laws are limited, and no single Judge unit can create more than one law at a single time (which means that, in order to make another one, the Judge must first use Cancellation, or you will have to use a Law Card). Since it takes a turn, and has a decent MP cost, and they don't have "Dmg to" laws, I think it balances out. I'm having a little trouble coming up with a nice S or R ability for them, so any help would be appreciated.

Anyway, a couple other additions, the Clan Center will be located in Cyril, and it will be where you hire new clan members (since I preferred the hiring method of the original FFT, since you don't get stuck with people who were already level 50, which cancels out customization training). However, I liked the fact that you could get different base job types for units in FFTA. So, in order to allow that choice, I decided that there would be various quests that would allow you to unlock the different base classes at the Clan Center. For example, if you wish to be able to hire Assassins, you will have to complete a quest (like convincing an Assassin trainer to join the Clan Center) in order to unlock the ability to hire Assassins. Naturally, these quests would be fairly difficult.

I'll put in more ideas once as I get them. Feel free to add your own, or to say what you think of mine. I'm wondering what to do with this idea, actually. If I can get it refined enough, I'm thinking of sending a letter to Square-Enix with the idea (not that I expect anything to come of it, but I can still hope), but depending on the number of people interested, I might turn it into either a fanfic or an RP.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

BeLIEve me! My name is...something..?'s Avatar

Wow...
    That seriously, just makes me want to play it.

Good backstory, and everything.
    Just really gets me hyped for a game that's not being made.
    Kudos to you my friend.
    You've really sparked my interest.
    You should totally do something with this in the future.
    The itching sensation is a good thing.

i think more new jobs should be availbe because playing a game with one extra job isnt something I would want but thats just my opinion.

and second of all under what is the judge class going to be human, viera etc. or a new race wich is the best idea cause more new jobs and job combos wont hurt.

and id like to help think of the judge R en S abilities but id need to know the stats for it to know what fits. you know?

Quote Originally Posted by tailz
    i think more new jobs should be availbe because playing a game with one extra job isnt something I would want but thats just my opinion.

and second of all under what is the judge class going to be human, viera etc. or a new race wich is the best idea cause more new jobs and job combos wont hurt.

and id like to help think of the judge R en S abilities but id need to know the stats for it to know what fits. you know?
    This isn't going to be the only new class, this is just the only one I've really developed so far. I'm already planning a couple others. I'll have them up shortly.

Haven't really considered which race Judges will be, but probably Human, at least.

Still thinking about stats. Given the fact that they look like they wear heavy armor, they would probably be close to Paladins. High resist and defense, low speed and attack.

hmm in that case id say something like speed plus for S ability not to much but at least a little speed bonus so hey dont become to much like standard pala's.

as for R-abiltity i havent thought of anything yet

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

its great but still needs some more work. FF has never been just a war. it need plot twists and interesting enemies. but if it had most of the things id expect from an FF id definetly buy this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Quote Originally Posted by boys from the dwarf
    its great but still needs some more work. FF has never been just a war. it need plot twists and interesting enemies. but if it had most of the things id expect from an FF id definetly buy this.
    Oh, I have not meant to imply at all that this is a finished product. It is nowhere near done. This is just setting the scene. I still have a lot to go. It is not going to be "just" a war, though that will be a major focus of it.

Most of the characters from the original will return, though they will not actually join your clan until later. Shara and Ritz will return to Clan Ritz and then lead their clan into the war, Cid will be trying to hold the judges together, Ezel will be trying to find a way to cancel his antilaws (and I must admit, I look forward to seeing Ezel's reaction to learning that he has to work to reinstate the laws he spent the first game trying to break down. ), and Babus will be stuck doing his best to keep Ivalice going, since he is the closest thing to an administrator that Ivalice has left. So you'll start out with just Marche, Montblanc, and a few clanners again, and the plot and character development will progress as you go.

As for enemies, while I obviously can't bring Llednar, Mewt, or Remedi in, I'm sure I can come up with some "interesting" villains.

So I'm still working on this, but I'll update as I go.

you can put mewt in as a good guy i mean they are a few years older wich meens they become stronger ( in a way). and about llednar, If you bring mewt back might be a way to bring llednar back to just a a side villian, like the turks, seifer, seymour. (those idiots that come back everytime just to get beaten again.

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

mewt could be some kind of spellcaster. and if you have mewt you can have llednar and it may be possible to make llednar a good guy. from reading that first post i think making the judge of sprohm the main enemy wouldnt be too bad an idea. and then he plots some sort of vengance and releases some sort of ancient evil or something because a judge as a last boss would be boring.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

That looks like a good idea. I would also suggest thickening the plot a bit. An attack from a neighbouring warring country is good, but what about other countries? Like, those of the Redwings from the original? How about having these (and the beasts they use to attack) a more prominent feature?
    The last words of Oscar Wilde, to the wallpaper in his room - "One of us has to go"

I like it. It's like going from X to X-2 with the sudden change in tone, except this time the second one would most likely be better

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Number
    That looks like a good idea. I would also suggest thickening the plot a bit. An attack from a neighbouring warring country is good, but what about other countries? Like, those of the Redwings from the original? How about having these (and the beasts they use to attack) a more prominent feature?
    Oh, I considered that. The country the Redwings were from was never actually mentioned by name, but in all likelyhood that country and possibly the Redwings themselves would show up in the game. Sure, the Redwing's boss was destroyed, but I doubt that will be enough to stop them for good.

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill
    I like it. It's like going from X to X-2 with the sudden change in tone, except this time the second one would most likely be better
    One of the things I hated about X-2 was the way the plot felt added on. There was no mention of Vegnagun at all in the original, and the two plots weren't even really that consistent with each other. They were two totally unrelated stories just stuck together. The search for Tidus was the only part which made any real sense, because Tidus had disappeared, but I'm sure that if Yuna thought there was a chance she could get him back, she'd take it.

That was why, when I began planning this, I made sure the plots were consistent and fitted in with each other. And it worked. While there may be a big change in the attitude, the storyline flows perfectly from the facts we were given in the original game. Once I had that all worked out, it was too awesome an idea to just let it go, so I began working it into an entire game concept. Unfortunately, Square-Enix holds all the copyrights (not to mention the resources to make the game), and I doubt they'll take my suggestion, but I'll certainly offer it, if I can find a way to.

As for bringing Mewt back, I'm opposed to that idea. It was stated quite clearly that Mewt left Ivalice, so bringing him back would bring up consistency issues, which I have been trying to avoid. Also, his story has quite clearly ended. He has come to terms with his mother's death, and is moving on in the "real" world. So, to bring him back, I would have to have a reason to bring him back, and a way to bring him back. It would be possible, but difficult, especially since I don't think it would add to much to the game. Llednar would difficult, since he was clearly there just as Mewt's guardian and had no additional purpose or storyline. Also, since we saw him turn to stone and shatter, there would be some continuity issues with bringing him back, rather like the way the Aeon's came back in X-2. It wasn't explained, didn't make sense, and didn't add a whole lot to the story. So I'd just rather leave him out.

Of course, we do need interesting and compelling villains, and probably a couple new good guys too, but I don't think bringing back Mewt, Remedi, or Llednar would work for that.