Thread: The Black Materia: A Predictably Lengthy Essay

Default The Black Materia: A Predictably Lengthy Essay

I haven't had a chance to check on EoFF in quite some time; hopefully I'll be able to again. Beyond that, please note that there will be

UNMARKED FFVII AND AC SPOILERS

throughout. That's probably enough of a preamble, since this thing is pushing 3000 words.

The Black Materia: Explaining its Origins in the Context of Advent Children

The plot of Final Fantasy VII has, in the years following its release, been meticulously dissected by its fans. With even the smallest details being examined, nearly every significant plot device has been, in some fashion, explicated. The only plot points to resist this collective examination lacked the corroborating evidence necessary to come to a conclusion; that is, there was simply nothing in the game itself that yielded the desired information, or even a path of inquiry. Thus, such questions had until recently remained relatively inscrutable.

However, the appearance of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII has resulted in the mythos of FFVII being revisited. This was the case in the CG movie sequel to FFVII, Advent Children. While AC’s plot was relatively simple, particularly when compared to the original game, it introduced a number of new concepts into the FFVII universe. Most of these concepts were introduced to build and advance the story of AC; their impact on our knowledge of the original game was relatively limited. One concept, however, stands out as crucial to fully understanding one of those previously mentioned points of mystery.

The plot point I’ve been alluding to in this long-winded introduction is the Black Materia, and in particular its composition and origin. Despite fandom’s (overly, and I'm included here) zealous quest to fully unravel the universe of FFVII, the information regarding the Black Materia was simply too limited to come to any valid conclusions. Ironically, AC at first glance hardly appears to remedy the issue. The Black Materia and its function (calling Meteor) were details pertinent to the original game, not its movie sequel; in fact, the term “Black Materia” never appeared in AC, nor was that unique materia alluded to in any way at any time. AC did, however, introduce a concept that, while unnamed, was critical to the movie. This concept was implied throughout AC, and finally explicated by Sephiroth soon after his reappearance.

Sephiroth: The last thoughts of Geostigma are dead. Those remnants
    will join the Lifestream and girdle the planet -- choking it,
    corroding it. What I want, Cloud, is to sail the darkness of the
    cosmos with this Planet as my vessel -- just as my mother did before
    long ago.
    What Sephiroth refers to is what I will now term the “Dark Lifestream,” the corrupted Spirit Energy of those individuals who died from Geostigma. Immediately after this statement, Sephiroth literally evokes this “Dark Lifestream;” raising his hand, a dark, ashy substance blackens the sky. Sephiroth, inextricably and perpetually linked to Jenova, demonstrates his ability to manipulate this energy. This is not, however, the first time it appeared in the movie. Several times, Loz and Yazoo manifested Shadow Creepers; these beasts were summoned without the use of materia, and materialized from the same black substance Sephiroth called down from the sky. At the Forgotten City, Kadaj turned the water around him black; the corrupted Spirit Energy intensified and exacerbated the effects of the Geostigma in those who drank the Black Water. This is particularly relevant when one notes that a mixture of Spirit Energy and water was responsible for healing Cloud’s Geostigma. The Dark Lifestream, then, really is a dark mirror of the Lifestream, possessing the same powers, though twisting its effects.

As originally stated during the Nibelheim flashback in FFVII, materia is directly derived from the Spirit Energy that comprises the Lifestream.

Sephiroth: A Mako fountain. It's a miracle of nature.

Tifa: It's so beautiful… If the Mako Reactor continues to suck up the energy,
    this fountain will dry up too…

Sephiroth: Materia. When you condense Mako energy, materia is produced. It's
    very rare to be able to see materia in its natural state.
    Materia, then, is a crystallized form of Spirit Energy. It typically takes on one of five colors: green, red, blue, yellow, and purple. The only exceptions are the two materia most critical to the plot: the Black Materia and the White Materia. White, however, really contains all colors, and glows green when activated. Black, however, is the absence of color; moreover, it serves a purpose (calling Meteor) detrimental to the Planet and the Lifestream from which it was presumably formed.

The introduction of the Dark Lifestream, however, allows for one to view the origins of the Black Materia from another perspective. If the Dark Lifestream possesses properties similar to Gaia’s Lifestream, then it too could presumably be condensed into materia. Moreover, even as materia evokes the power of the Planet through the knowledge and wisdom of the Cetra--

Sephiroth: You were in SOLDIER and didn't even know that? …the knowledge and
    wisdom of the Ancients is held in the materia. Anyone with this knowledge can
    freely use the powers of the Land and the Planet. That knowledge interacts
    between ourselves and the planet calling up magic……or so they say.
    --materia derived from the Dark Lifestream would serve the purpose of the entity that influences and directs it, Jenova (it would also quite naturally be black). Sephiroth is linked to Jenova (obviously) and even comes to embody the same purpose; his ultimate desire is to do the same thing his “Mother” did millennia before FFVII.

long ago.
    Sephiroth: Then one day we'll find a new planet and on its soil we'll
    create a shining future.
    In short, then, the Dark Lifestream will allow for Sephiroth to control Gaia and head to another planet. However, if the Dark Lifestream only appeared with the “advent” of Geostigma, then the corrupted Spirit Energy that comprised the Black Materia could not have come from Gaia. Rather, it had offworld origins—the Lifestream of another planet had been corrupted. Sephiroth alludes to this as well: he suggests that using an assimilated planet as a vessel to travel the universe was what Jenova had previously done. Thus, it seems to me that Meteor was actually the planet (or a part of it) previously dominated by Jenova; the Black Materia was therefore formed from Meteor’s compromised Lifestream. Had Cloud lost his battle with Sephiroth at the end of AC, Gaia would have become the next Meteor—and the “new planet” with its “shining future” the next Gaia.

This remainder of this essay will be devoted to examining any possible problems with or holes in this theory. Given the limited information concerning the Black Materia that actually appeared in FFVII, there aren’t too many problems readily apparent to me; however, the information contained in the Ultimania Omega guide for Final Fantasy VII presents some problems. This passage, taken from Ryu_Kaze’s translation of the Ultimania, seems to vaguely imply that the Black Materia has Gaian origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Kaze, Ultimania Omega
    **The Black Materia: Meteor** (005.3A)
    It is the Ultimate Destructive Magic; it calls to planets [-- meaning
    meteor-like rocks --] drifting in outer space and pulls them down to the
    Planet. It was one of the magicks given to the Ancients, but due to it
    harnessing enough power to destroy the Planet itself, the Ancients feared it
    could prove dangerous and sealed it away by their own hands.

After falling into the Lifestream, Sephiroth learned of Meteor from the
    Cetra's firsthand knowledge of it, and set into motion a plan to gain mastery
    over the life of the Planet.

(Accompanying screenshot caption)
    When the Planet is hurt, the spiritual energy that is the Planet's very life
    will automatically gather in that spot. Sephiroth planned to make use of this
    by intentionally harming the Planet and gaining dominance over its energy.
    In the section, Meteor is said to be “one of the magicks given to the Ancients.” This would seem to suggest that the power is derived from Gaia, like the other magicks called up by the Cetra. There are three points, however, which counter this assumption. The first is relatively minor; if one assumes the passage to indicate that the Black Materia is from Gaia, it loses any detail provided in the essay—and is reduced to a mere plot contrivance, simply there to allow Sephiroth to enact his plan. Why else would a materia that the Cetra feared to use be included in the game, or even exist? That having been said, there is nothing in that point that literally counters the passage. The second rebuttal, however, deals with the passage in a literal sense; it is overwhelmingly vague. The Ultimania translation does not explicitly state that the Black Materia is derived from the Gaian Lifestream; it merely states that it was a power given to the Ancients. While this would seem to refer to the Planet, the direct object goes unnamed. Moreover, the circumstances of this bestowal are unknown. Could the materia have arrived with Jenova crashed, and been offered up by an injured Planet? Whatever was intended, the lack of specificity prevents the passage from being used to make any definite point.

Still, the first two defenses of my theory are hardly perfect. The third point is why I feel comfortable retaining the idea. And again, it derives directly from AC.

In Advent Children, mention of Jenova’s arrival on Gaia is frequently accompanied by an image of Meteor. However, the Ultimania itself states that Sephiroth was the dominant figure in their relationship. Logically, then, there would be no reason to associate Jenova (and its arrival) with Meteor, unless it landed on the planet by way of Meteor. We know that Jenova could have potentially guided Meteor to Gaia on its own; Sephiroth’s statement before beginning his battle with Cloud suggests complete confidence in his ability to guide the corrupted Gaia through the emptiness of space.

long ago.
    The obvious implication is that Jenova could easily have guided Meteor to Gaia, just as Sephiroth would have guided Gaia to another planet. Now, although such scenes seem to favor my interpretation, and SE has demonstrated a willingness to retcon (that is, retroactively alter the continuity of something) ideas in its various universes, the possibility remains that the Cetra could themselves have summoned Meteor, and thus brought the Calamity from the Skies upon themselves. This idea, however, is contradicted by material from the original game. One point of note is that Ifalna made no mention of calling Meteor when describing the arrival of Jenova to Gast; the catastrophic impact seemed to have come as a total surprise to the Cetra.

Gast: Camera's ready! Then, Ifalna, please tell us about the Cetra.

Ifalna: 2000 years ago, our ancestors, the Cetra, heard the cries of the Planet. The first ones to discover the Planet's wound were the Cetra at the Knowlespole.

Gast: Tell us Ifalna... Where is the land called 'Knowlespole'?

Ifalna: Knowlespole refers to this area. The Cetra
    then began a Planet-reading.

Gast: Ifalna, what exactly does Planet-reading entail?

Ifalna: ...I can't explain it very well, but it's like having a conversation
    with the Planet... It said something fell from the sky making a large wound.

Thousands of Cetra pulled together, trying to heal the Planet... But, due to
    the severity of the wound, it was only able to heal itself, over many years.

Gast: Do the Ancients, rather, the Cetra, have special powers to heal the
    Planet?

Ifalna: No, it's not that kind of power. The life force of all living things
    on this Planet becomes the energy. The Cetra tried desperately to cultivate
    the land so as not to diminish the needed energy...

Gast: Hmm, even here so close to the North Cave, the snow never melts. Is
    that because the planet's energy is gathered here to heal its injury?"

Ifalna: "Yes, the energy that was needed to heal the Planet withered away the
    land... then the Planet... The Planet tried to persuade the Cetra to leave the
    Knowlespole, but...

Gast: Ifalna... Let's take a break.

Ifalna: I'm all right... When the Cetra... were preparing to part with the
    land they loved... That's when it appeared! It looked like... our... our dead
    mothers... and our dead brothers. Showing us spectres of their past.

Gast: Who is the person that appeared at the North Cave? I haven't any idea.

Ifalna: That's when the one who injured the Planet... or the 'crisis from the
    sky', as we call him, came. He first approached as a friend, deceived them,
    and finally...... gave them the virus. The Cetra were attacked by the virus
    and went mad... transforming into monsters. Then, just as he had at the
    Knowlespole, he approached other Cetra clans...... infecting them with... the
    virus...

Gast: You don't look well... Let's call it a day.
    Moreover, as suggested in Ifalna’s explanation, part of being a Cetra was living in harmony with the Planet. In fact, the Cetra literally communed with Gaia; this is noted by the above passage, as well as the Ultimania itself (also noted is that Jenova did indeed arrive via a meteor).

***The Ancients*** (Page 214) (005.2)
    The race also called "the Cetra," these people lived on the Planet in ancient
    times. The Forgotten Capital and the Temple of the Ancients along with nature
    and a single woman are their only remaining traces.

They spoke with the Planet and helped to cultivate it, channeling the
    Lifestream to many places, inciting an abundant cycle of life.
    When Jenova
    came from outer space, some of them moved to the North Pole in an attempt to
    ease the Planet's wound which had come as a result of the collision [between
    the Planet and the meteor Jenova had been riding]. Using its mimic ability,
    Jenova got close to the Cetra and released its virus upon them, nearly
    driving them to extinction.

Only two Ancients appear in the [game's] story: Aerith and Ifalna. Ifalna is
    Aerith's mother and the last pure ancient. Due to her mixed heritage, Aerith's
    ability to converse with the Planet is comparitively lower than her mother's
    was.
    Given this direct communication with the Planet, it is unthinkable that any Cetra would do something inherently detrimental to Gaia. The passage in question unambiguously notes that they sealed the Black Materia away. In fact, in FFVII, Aeris is shocked even by the thought of intentionally injuring the Planet.

Aeris: An injury powerful enough to destroy the Planet? Injure... the Planet?
    In short, it simply doesn’t make sense within the cultural context of the Cetra for one or more of them to use the Black Materia. In conjunction with the idea that Jenova arrived via Meteor, one concludes that the Black Materia is not of Gaia.

Of course, this leads to a new problem; my case as made thus far assumes the existence of multiple Meteors. After all, it wouldn’t make sense for the Meteor summoned by Sephiroth to be the same one used by Jenova two thousand years earlier. This is, however, a relatively minor problem; all one needs to do is assume that a Meteor is a fragment of the original corrupted planet.

The fragmentation of an assimilated planet even has evidence within FFVII. When the party first travels to Cosmo Canyon, Bugenhagen explains the basics of the “Study of Planet Life.”

Bugenhagen: Ho Ho Hoooo. Yes, it is something, isn't it? Well, let's get to the
    subject. Eventually... all humans die. What happens to them after they die? The
    body decomposes, and returns to the Planet. That much everyone knows. What
    about their consciousness, their hearts and their souls? The soul too returns
    to the Planet. And not only those of humans, but everything on this Planet. In
    fact, all living things in the universe, are the same. The spirits that return
    to the Planet, merge with one another and roam the Planet. They roam, converge,
    and divide, becoming a swell, called the 'Lifestream'. Lifestream... In other
    words, a path of energy of the souls roaming the Planet. 'Spirit Energy' is a
    word that you should never forget. A new life... children are blessed with
    Spirit energy and are brought into the world. Then, the time comes when they
    die and once again return to the Planet... Of course there are exceptions, but
    this is the way of the world. I've digressed, but you'll understand better if
    you watch this.
    As the scene continues, the player eventually bears witness to what will happen should Mako reactors continue to suck away the Lifestream. We actually see the planet turn dark, and split in two. If the Lifestream were wholly corrupted, it would be much the same as if it were used up: the vital force of the planet would be gone. If this is sufficient to kill and fragment Gaia, why not another planet?

Also of note is the actual size of Meteor. While it is certainly a large object (its approach at the end of FFVII shows that it is larger than Midgar, the world’s biggest city), it is nowhere near the size of Gaia. If Meteor was originally another habitable planet, its size relative to Gaia suggests that it is merely a piece. The same thing could be seen in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within; there, the meteor by which the alien TSW Spoilerghosts reach Earth is a piece of their original planet, and is significantly smaller than Earth.

There may be other problems that arise, and given my tendency to aggressively defend my own ideas, I’ll probably attempt to deal with them in due course. For the moment, however, I see nothing else that raises significant questions concerning my premise.

In summation, then, I feel that the “Dark Lifestream” of Advent Children reveals itself as the substance from which a Black Materia would be comprised. In conjunction with Sephiroth’s speech, it appears that the Black Materia of Final Fantasy VII had extraterrestrial origins, carried by Jenova from the corrupted Lifestream of another world, and that it could be used to call the ruined planet from which it was originally derived.

As always, questions and comments are welcome.
    Last edited by Masamune·1600; 06-14-2006 at 02:38 AM.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The Spirits Within; there, the meteor by which the alien TSW (SPOILER)ghosts reach Earth is a piece of their original planet, and is significantly smaller than Earth.
    I think this might be the case since if the entire Gaia smashed onto other planet, I doubt it is possible to create a "Shiny Future" there or the planet might not even exist anymore.

oh boy.

wow I understood...about half of that. anyway good argument, makes sense to me. but here's a question, since I just read it I don't feel like re-reading it, if what you say is true about the Dark Lifestream coming over from the other planet pieces, yeah it'd be there and that all makes sense. But when Sephiroth raises his hand and calls upon said dark lifestream, where does it come from? since there is no meteor in the sky, where is he drawing it from? that's my only...confusion, with this theory. sorry if it's stated, but good none the less ^^

Lets help Arche-witten rule teh universe!!1!

Hmmmm....lucky for me, I understood every bit of that. That leaves me with no questions. Impressive. My only thought:

If meteor is made from the "dark lifestream" then that means other materia could be made from it. So, using the "dark lifestream" to compress energy and make materia, could yoyu not make better/worse (depending on your vies of it) materia? Also, was Meteor made with a large amount, and its a great materia like Holy, or is it an equivalent to "Fire" or something. If it is an equivelant to Fire, how immense would a materia be if it were made equal to Holy? Or vise-versa, if it's equal to Holy, how strong would a materia be if it were equivelant to fire? Of course, these questions are not yet answered, but it is something that'd be quite interesting to know.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

My main problem with this theory is the nature of "Dark Lifestream". It's easy enough to label it as the "opposite" of Standard Lifestream. But if normal Lifestream gives birth to entites, wouldn't Dark Lifestream take life away as oppose to creating it as demonstrated with the dark creatures that the Sephiroth Triplets summon. Maybe I've gotten the wrong end of the stick, but I think that it's not suitable to see Dark Lifestream as being an opposite, rather an altered state of this spirit energy. My own thoughts would be that Dark Lifestream would be similar to the spirit energy of Jenova's home planet. As seen in TSW the colours of the two different spirits (blue or Gaia, red for the Aliens) and the fact that the two can't exsist in tandem with each other can suggest that each planet has it's own unique "life signature" associated with it. So Dark Lifestream isn't an opposite to the Planet's Lifestream, rather it is a differentiation based upon a different life source, in this case Jenova. Of course there's nothing much to suggest this besides outside sources (e.g. TSW, FF9), but it could be supplemented into this theory rather nicely.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

The Hardcore Gentleman Emerald weapon's Avatar

good thoery!it explains to me how jenova made the north crater when she arrived to gia and wat the dark substance was in the final fight in ac but i have 1 question though were did holy come from?

There is one part I disagree with. I find no evidence supporting your statement that Meteor was the vessel that Jenova originally rode throughout the cosmos. Meteor could have just been a small planet/large asteroid that was within range of the Black Materia's magic.

meteor-like rocks --] drifting in outer space and pulls them down to the
    Planet.
    That was stated in the Ultimania guide, but it was also almost word for word a line from the game (though I can't remember where in the game it was, I know it was there. I'll have to replay sometime). Thus, it's target could be any asteroid within range of its magic, so why do you conclude that Meteor had to be the vessel Jenova first rode among the stars? That vessel could have crashed into Gaia and been completely destroyed.

Except for that, it's a wonderful explanation.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas
    I think this might be the case since if the entire Gaia smashed onto other planet, I doubt it is possible to create a "Shiny Future" there or the planet might not even exist anymore.
    Haha, good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Starcrest
    but here's a question, since I just read it I don't feel like re-reading it, if what you say is true about the Dark Lifestream coming over from the other planet pieces, yeah it'd be there and that all makes sense. But when Sephiroth raises his hand and calls upon said dark lifestream, where does it come from? since there is no meteor in the sky, where is he drawing it from?
    Basically, the Black Materia wouldn't have been derived from the same "Dark Lifestream" as the one evoked by Sephiroth. The Black Materia would have come from Meteor's corrupted Lifestream; what Seph called down was the beginning of such corruption on Gaia. Sephiroth was defeated and Geostigma cleansed before the process could be carried to completion on Gaia.

Quote Originally Posted by DoaJ
    If meteor is made from the "dark lifestream" then that means other materia could be made from it. So, using the "dark lifestream" to compress energy and make materia, could yoyu not make better/worse (depending on your vies of it) materia? Also, was Meteor made with a large amount, and its a great materia like Holy, or is it an equivalent to "Fire" or something. If it is an equivelant to Fire, how immense would a materia be if it were made equal to Holy? Or vise-versa, if it's equal to Holy, how strong would a materia be if it were equivelant to fire? Of course, these questions are not yet answered, but it is something that'd be quite interesting to know.
    This is speculation on my part, but I don't see why a Dark Lifestream couldn't produce other "dark materia." That being said, I would guess that the Black Materia (given the scope of its power) was something of a corruption of a White Materia, or whatever Meteor's equivalent would have been. While this is purely speculative, I imagine that a "Dark Fire materia" would be approximately as powerful as a normal Fire materia.

It's definitely an interesting line of thought, but as you noted, there's no way to come to any sort of definite answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power
    My main problem with this theory is the nature of "Dark Lifestream". It's easy enough to label it as the "opposite" of Standard Lifestream. But if normal Lifestream gives birth to entites, wouldn't Dark Lifestream take life away as oppose to creating it as demonstrated with the dark creatures that the Sephiroth Triplets summon. Maybe I've gotten the wrong end of the stick, but I think that it's not suitable to see Dark Lifestream as being an opposite, rather an altered state of this spirit energy. My own thoughts would be that Dark Lifestream would be similar to the spirit energy of Jenova's home planet. As seen in TSW the colours of the two different spirits (blue or Gaia, red for the Aliens) and the fact that the two can't exsist in tandem with each other can suggest that each planet has it's own unique "life signature" associated with it. So Dark Lifestream isn't an opposite to the Planet's Lifestream, rather it is a differentiation based upon a different life source, in this case Jenova. Of course there's nothing much to suggest this besides outside sources (e.g. TSW, FF9), but it could be supplemented into this theory rather nicely.
    I think I might not have expressed my idea as clearly as intended. Essentially, a Dark Lifestream wouldn't be so much the opposite of a normal Lifestream as a corruption of one. Whether or not planets have different "colored" Lifestreams, assimilation by Jenova would yield the same black one. Such corrupted Lifestreams wouldn't necessarily be antithetical to normal ones, but without its intended Lifestream a planet as it previously existed would die.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald weapon
    but i have 1 question though were did holy come from?
    This is from Ryu_Kaze's translation of the Ultimania.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Kaze, Ultimania Omega
    **The White Materia: Holy** (005.3B)
    The only means of opposing Meteor, the Ultimate White Magic was passed down
    amongst the Ancients. It is said that when an Ancient learns of Holy in the
    Forgotten Capital, prays at the water altar and their mind then links to the
    Planet, Holy is thereby put into operation. Passed down through the Ancients'
    generations, the White Materia came to Aerith from her mother, Ifalna, and she
    kept it hidden in a ribbon in her hair.

How exactly Holy applies its power once invoked and in operation is not
    definite. It is simply known that "all that is bad for the Planet will
    disappear."

(Accompanying screenshot caption)
    As evidence of the Planet accepting Aerith's prayer, the White Materia laying
    on the water bed shines a pale green color. However, Holy's movement was being
    held back by the wicked will of Sephiroth, who had called Meteor.
    As was the case with the Black Materia, neither FFVII nor the Ultimania goes into great detail concerning the White Materia and Holy. However, given its function (all that is bad for the Planet goes away), it's almost certainly derived from Gaia. Like WEAPON, it's probably something of a defense mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade
    There is one part I disagree with. I find no evidence supporting your statement that Meteor was the vessel that Jenova originally rode throughout the cosmos. Meteor could have just been a small planet/large asteroid that was within range of the Black Materia's magic.

meteor-like rocks --] drifting in outer space and pulls them down to the Planet.

That was stated in the Ultimania guide, but it was also almost word for word a line from the game (though I can't remember where in the game it was, I know it was there. I'll have to replay sometime). Thus, it's target could be any asteroid within range of its magic, so why do you conclude that Meteor had to be the vessel Jenova first rode among the stars? That vessel could have crashed into Gaia and been completely destroyed.

Except for that, it's a wonderful explanation.
    That's where Advent Children comes in again. You're absolutely right: neither FFVII nor the Ultimania suggests that Jenova came to Gaia on Meteor. However, mention of Jenova's travels in AC are frequently accompanied by an image of Meteor. Given that Sephiroth was dominating Jenova (another Ultimania revelation), the only reason to associate Jenova (and in particular its arrival on Gaia) with Meteor is if Jenova used it as its vehicle through space. From there, I simply assumed that "Jenova's Meteor" and "Sephiroth's Meteor" were different fragments from the same assimilated planet.

ooo i see, i didn't think about the corruption of Gaia, and wouldn't he also draw it from the...ugh...not stigma, not geostigma...>_< what's it called? The virus that everyone has ^_^;...anyway, yeah, wouldn't he have drawn from that too? or is that part of the corruption?

Lets help Arche-witten rule teh universe!!1!