Page 51 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3141454647484950515253545556576171 ... LastLast

Thread: English Football Thread! 2006-2007 Season

We wasted an excellent oppurtunity today. An away draw against Middlesbrough is a perfect example of the sort of games that are keeping out of contention for the title. Championship winning sides don't drop points against average sides; away from home or not. With Van Persie out for the rest of the season, and the schedule about to get a whole lot more hectic with FA Cup replays and Champions League fixtures piling up, it's hard to be optimistic about our prospects outside of a Carling Cup victory.

Still, at least we managed to put our pesky neighbours in their place in midweek.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Wrong, today's result was nowhere near as bad as the endless draws we've had at home, and the two horrible defeats against Sheffield United and Fulham. Bear in mind that Middlebrough are undefeated in 2007 as well. It wasn't a good performance but most other times this season that has resulted in defeat, at least we fought back here.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi
    Wrong, today's result was nowhere near as bad as the endless draws we've had at home, and the two horrible defeats against Sheffield United and Fulham. Bear in mind that Middlebrough are undefeated in 2007 as well. It wasn't a good performance but most other times this season that has resulted in defeat, at least we fought back here.
    Oh sure, it's by no means our worst result of the season or anything, but we both know that we should be beating teams like Middlesbrough, and I was starting to think we might have put this sort of slip-up behind us. Seeing as Liverpool dropped points against Everton today, I'm disappointed that we couldn't capitalise on their mistake, that's all.

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Middlesbrough are one odd team though - a team that loses to Watford and beats Chelsea 0_o

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

So in come Gillett and Hicks. It seems this is the only way for football teams to remain competetive these days, which is sad, but there we are. From what they've said, they seem to respect the culture, the history and the passion of the club (which is second to none), and that sounds promising enough to me, although whether or not they mean it or whether or not it's just a hollow PR tactic remains to be seen.

Not too pleased about leaving Anfield either, but at least there won't be a groundshare with a certain SMALL CLUB! I think Rafa meant crap team rather than small club but oh well. He has a point, though. What a lousy attitude to such a big game, the derby, which is usually exciting and fast-paced. It seems only the Goodison derby will be like that from now on. Even if there is "£100m between the two teams" (yeah smurf off was there, Moyes you muppet, considering that would require us to have paid over £9m on average for each our players, and we did so for only one of them, Alonso (although Kuyt's was rumoured to be £9m, it's undisclosed), I don't think so.) there's no excuse for doing that in the derby. Still, they're nowhere near being a big club either. The only big clubs in English football are Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal. Chelsea are a good team, hence why they're included in the current big four, but they're not a big club yet. Winning a couple of league titles does not make you a big club when you compare it to the dominance of the three teams I have just named.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Leaving Anfield is one of the worst team stadium moves I've ever heard. It has so much history and everything, it's gonna suck.

Well if you want to live in the past, stay at Anfield. Obviously there's a lot of history there but like us with Highbury, the fact is you know that sooner or later you'd have to move to somewhere bigger if you want to try to keep on a level footing with the Mancs etc. Liverpool will be able to fill a 60,000 stadium easy and that can only be good for them.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Highbury was a shiet stadium for a shiet team, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DK
    Highbury was a shiet stadium for a shiet team, though.
    You're just jealous because no-one gave a smurf when your team moved grounds. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that quite a few people didn't even notice, and showed up at Maine Road on away days, wondering where the hell everyone was.

Articles

OH NO THEY CALLED US "Liverpool Reds" AND A "Franchise" OH NO OH NO SOMEONE HELP US MAKE THEM GO AWAY

Oh what the heck, make them buy us Ashton/Torres, Daniel Alves, Abidal/Lahm and then make them go away.

EDIT: Simao Sabrosa too kthx.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Pink Grin

About the England match: What a suprise. :rolleyes2

Articles

When your player with the most flair is Kieron smurfing Dyer, what do you expect? We lacked the inventiveness of the likes of Rooney, Cole (J! No offence, Carlton, but you just can't cut it) and Lennon and paid for it by being flat and uncreative.

Why is Fatty Lumpard still an automatic starter?

Dyer is Dier!

Frank lamped is selected because he’s been the best midfielder in the premiership for the last 3 years! always getting at least 20 goals a season and setting up i don’t know how many goals.

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Well if you want to live in the past, stay at Anfield. Obviously there's a lot of history there but like us with Highbury, the fact is you know that sooner or later you'd have to move to somewhere bigger if you want to try to keep on a level footing with the Mancs etc. Liverpool will be able to fill a 60,000 stadium easy and that can only be good for them.
    I agree completely, to compete Liverpool need a bigger stadium and Anfield cannot provide that, obviously every liverpool fan will miss Anfield but the current structure of football means the move is neccessary. My team need to move to survive let alone prosper.
    'All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.' - Nietzsche

Default £££

how rich is that American guy? because if he is loaded you don’t really need a massive ground to compete and all the fans that go their wont be all real fans its impossible if its going to be 60 thousand!