Page 37 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1727313233343536373839404142434757 ... LastLast

Thread: English Football Thread! 2006-2007 Season

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh dear. We need a lot of work.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Carrick isn't a holding player and I don't know where the insane notion that he is came from. Probably Match of the Day, what with their constant Carrick lovefest.

Speaking of, remember after the Greece game when Gary Lineker snidely remarked "Missing you, Sven." and Ian Wright burst into fits of hysterical laughter? I wonder who's laughing now. I don't know why Sven gets such a bad rap anyway. He's the one who gave players like Rooney, Hargreaves, Crouch and Lennon a chance when other managers probably wouldn't.

As for tonight, meh. 3-5-2 was a rather nonsensical decision in the first place. I'm not going to write McClaren off, I just hope he learns from his mistakes. He does seem to learn quick, what with the dropping of Downing for this game, but he has yet to realise that Defoe and Richardson aren't that good either.

Apparently Robinson's been labelled as the fall guy for this one, which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Sure, his positioning was poor for the first goal, but Da Silva shouldn't have been allowed a free header in the first place. As for the second, he was unlucky to have the ball bobble in front of him, and it'd be unfair to criticise him too harshly for that. Besides, there's no point placing the blame on the keeper when our attack was so ineffective.

A loss against Croatia isn't as disastrous as it may seem - they've never lost a qualifying match at home - but the manner of the defeat was really quite embarrassing. While I can understand McClaren's intentions in trying to give us an alternative to 4-4-2, this really wasn't the time to be playing around with the system. Still, I get the feeling that we'd have lost no matter what formation we were using, since our big players simply aren't performing at the moment. Missing Gerrard and Hargreaves didn't help us either, since it left us without a decent tackler in midfield. At least there's a nice long break until the next qualifier, so England have some time to regroup, and the press can get off their backs a little.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

As a Middlesbrough fan, just a word of warning: McClaren will continue to change formation and he's also pretty fond of playing people completely out of position. I remember going to see us play Blackburn last season, and by the end of the game we were on our third different formation with various players in completely alien positions. We lost 3-0. Heck, McClaren used Mendieta was a right winger for two years, despite the guy having no pace (or interest).

I didn't see the England match, but I agree about Psy's Carrick comment. Didn't MoTD describe him as a "shining light" at half-time against Macedonia? I couldn't remember him doing much at all, apart from a lot of standing around. That's not an attack on Carrick - he's a more dynamic player than that and he looks uncomfortable. But nothing is going to happen until Lampard is dropped.

A formation of 4-5-1 would be nice...main striker Crouch...Rooney is just not as striker...he is a more Center Forward guy...he cant wait for the ball in side the six yard box...Lampard is not effective ya...and Robinson ya we can't blame him...but he's form is just not very consistent...3-5-2 is a wrong formation and yeah...how do I say...it's a poor formation...

想要對妳說的 不敢說的愛

What's this I read about Rooney getting into a tussle with a fan after the match? Certainly, it's par for the course for him, but will that lead to any suspensions?

Take care all.

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

Face it - Croatia are better
    ...Geddit?

1. Sweden 8-2 12
    2. Denmark 6-0 7
    3. Northern Ireland 4-5 7
    4. Latvia 4-2 3
    5. Spain 6-5 3
    6. Iceland 4-8 3
    7. Liechtenstein 1-11 0

Euro 2008 here we come!

Quote Originally Posted by mobiletype View Post
    Face it - Croatia are better

It's not the matter of whose better...I mean the ball is round so the results could go either way...but Crotia is a strong opponent for any country no doubt

想要對妳說的 不敢說的愛

Quote Originally Posted by Burtsplurt View Post
    As a Middlesbrough fan, just a word of warning: McClaren will continue to change formation and he's also pretty fond of playing people completely out of position. I remember going to see us play Blackburn last season, and by the end of the game we were on our third different formation with various players in completely alien positions. We lost 3-0.
    When did we beat you 3-0? Do you mean 3-2?

England were poor, i said from the start he wasn't the right choice for England and proofed it, i mean you don't experiment with formation in a competitiive especially against a team who hasn't lost at home in 13 years. but England are still group leaders, like in every qualifying group England are in, they're allowed one slip up.

Anyways, back to premiership football. Blackburn away to Liverpool this afternoon. Friedel the only real doubt with groin strain for Blackburn, though Liverpool having a couple of injuries.

Me being the optimist specially with our fine run of form, i think the least we can get is a draw, but seeing as we have only kept 2 clean sheets this season, i'm going for a score draw, 1-1.
    Last edited by Russielloyd; 10-14-2006 at 05:01 PM.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

And you were correct.

As for England and qualifying, it won't end until November next year anyway, so the picture will be far clearer nearer the time. I still think they'd have to be pretty abysmal not to qualify from this group (though their next game is Israel, who havn't lost a competitive game in something like three years).
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles

I like how Russie's post with a correct prediction was last edited just after full-time I figured we'd find it tough to get a result against Blackburn without the muscle of Sissoko. Still, great that Bellamy scored.

EDIT: :laugh: @ Chelsea's keepers. It's a shame for Cudicini though, and their number 3, Hilario, is none too shabby either. John Terry in goal is kinda ironic though, with his love for all things handball in the penalty area.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I like how Russie's post with a correct prediction was last edited just after full-time I figured we'd find it tough to get a result against Blackburn without the muscle of Sissoko. Still, great that Bellamy scored.

EDIT: :laugh: @ Chelsea's keepers. It's a shame for Cudicini though, and their number 3, Hilario, is none too shabby either. John Terry in goal is kinda ironic though, with his love for all things handball in the penalty area.
    Huh, i never edited that, i made that post at about 1. I even said it on this football forum before the match kicked off.

Have you been messing with my post?

Bellamy gets his first goal of the season and his first in the prem for them, and who is it against....Blackburn, go figure, it's always like that with every team/players.

It was a good result for us, keep us just above Liverpool in the league and gone 7 unbeaten in all comps. McCarthy is on a roll with 5 goals in 6 games now. Next now an away game in the UEFA Cup and the little match of a home derby v Bolton.

Though tonight, being that it was Liverpool we played today and everybody on the MoTD seems to be a Liverpool fan in one way or the other, we might actually get more than 3 mins tonight.
    Last edited by Russielloyd; 10-14-2006 at 09:13 PM.

Articles

It says at the bottom: Last edited by Russielloyd : 10-14-2006 at 05:01 PM. (if I had edited it would say Psychotic )

And nah, not everybody. Just Hansen and Lawrenson It balances out Sky's Andy Gray and his Liverpool hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    It says at the bottom: Last edited by Russielloyd : 10-14-2006 at 05:01 PM. (if I had edited it would say Psychotic )

And nah, not everybody. Just Hansen and Lawrenson It balances out Sky's Andy Gray and his Liverpool hatred.
    Well i swear i put that prediction about 9 hrs ago and i honestly can't remember editing it at 5.

Yeah but gray gives credits when it due, as you now hear when ever they show that Sky HD advert.

EDIT: Soz, but this has to be said.

MoTD pundits, dont hold back to discuss how well Blackburn did. Even though except for their goal our defending was exceptional and the fact we're the first team to come away from Anfield with a point this year. Also thanks for praising McCarthy who unlike Bellamy, has scored 3 in 4 games....

MoTD is smurfing bollocks! Pisses me off that every smurfing week we get 2 minutes normally at the end and smurf all of a analysis all the bloody time. It's We would have to win the bloody league to get some kind of opinion.
    Last edited by Russielloyd; 10-14-2006 at 11:43 PM.