Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: I'm getting into a fight soon. Eyes on Final Fantasy... please, help me.

Quote Originally Posted by bipper
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade
    I, for one, will not suggest that you don't fight. You seem to have already settled in your mind that you are going to fight, and I doubt that any amount of hippy "give peace a chance" lines will change your mind. If you're going to fight, that's that. However, if you have a planned out fight with this guy, I would like to make a few suggestions. First, don't wait until the designated time. This isn't an official duel or a nice fisticuffs match. Screw the Marquis of Queensberry, the point is to win. It may not be nice or polite, but you're trying to pound the kid, not invite him to dinner. Get the jump on him, fight dirty, and don't stop until he can't walk away. Because, if you do pound him, I can almost guarantee that he won't stop unless you stop him. Don't just pin him and walk away, because he'd be attacking you from behind in about half a second. Or, he'll call his friends later and jump you in a back alley (and if anything should convince you not to fight, it's that, because I doubt you're good enough to take on a half dozen people). So hurt him, hurt him a lot, and make sure he's not going to be moving for half an hour, then walk away slowly. If you run, you might get jumped right there. BTW, that's why I suggested not waiting for the designated time. If you do this as an organized match, there will almost certainly be spectators or friends he's brought along, and not all of them might be happy with you pounding the stuffing out of their friend (especially if none of your friends are going to be there). Attack him at a time of your choosing, and don't stop until he's down. Oh, and don't be afraid to use weapons if you have to, or to carry them afterwards if you think he and his buddies might try to get revenge on you.

Don't bother with trash talking, it's a waste of time and energy that could be spent saving your butt in the fight.
    You could win the fight this way, but then you fail at life. If you set it up with the regaurds for saftey in mind for both parties, (I am talkign spotters, no eyegouging and such) you will both come out with your full working bodies, and the looser would have a bruised ego, and effectivley be put in his place. If it was a fight to the death (which it better not be) then I could see getting the jump on him. It seems like this is a childish fight of jest and dignity, so play it as such.

If you win with class, I say you won a lot more than just the fight.

Bipper
    As always, Bipper has a solid point here. I think he is, however, missing out on one major point. No matter how classy you are when you fight, if your opponent is not equally classy, you are going to get creamed. There is no "class" in getting beat senseless. The point is to win. Everything else is secondary. I have been in several "childish fights" in my life, and I've learned that in such situations, there is rarely, if any, honor displayed by my opponents. I don't get into fights easily, since I am not actually a fan of violence, but when I do fight, I fight to win. If you're not prepared to do whatever it takes to win, you shouldn't be fighting. End it fast, end it quick, and if you are upset with what you did to the guy when it's over, maybe you'll think twice before you get in another fight over nothing. But don't hold to nice, polite rules, because you will then be wondering why you got your face pounded in.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Then you have never pugulized. There is class. There is class in everything. A methodology, a certain respect for yourself and your oponent. If you are fighting for anyother reason, you are fighting for the wrong reason.
    Fine, fight for respect. Earn the respect of some thug. Lose the respect of everyone else.

roto: I assure you, eye gouging and fighting dirty will not gain you any respect, and setting up a spotted fight gains you some defense against such attacks. I have been in several fights with people whom like to talk or do nasty things against my sisters or friends. I will not tolerate, and when they will not listen, I offer a fight such as what I have described. As Skyblade said, your opponant will likely not respect the rules, and fight dirty, but that is somthing you will deal with none the less. I have never lost and organized fight, and I have never had to go to the extreme as to knock someone completley out. If the other person does win via a foul, and you lose, you still have honor, which is not worth loosing over some idiot's comments (usually).

"Who's the only person here who knows secret ninja moves from the government?!" ND
    Bipper

roto: I assure you, eye gouging and fighting dirty will not gain you any respect, and setting up a spotted fight gains you some defense against such attacks. I have been in several fights with people whom like to talk or do nasty things against my sisters or friends. I will not tolerate, and when they will not listen, I offer a fight such as what I have described. As Skyblade said, your opponant will likely not respect the rules, and fight dirty, but that is somthing you will deal with none the less. I have never lost and organized fight, and I have never had to go to the extreme as to knock someone completley out. If the other person does win via a foul, and you lose, you still have honor, which is not worth loosing over some idiot's comments (usually).

Bipper
    Anyone who gets into fights over some idiot's comments already has no honor that is worth anything. And if you have a worthwhile reason for fighting, then winning is probably more important than how you win.

And if you want organized fights, join your school's boxing team. Or fencing team (in fact, do that anyway, because fencing is awesome).
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Instead of fighting, let's just tightly embrace. I'll leave my pants on if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

And if you want organized fights, join your school's boxing team. Or fencing team (in fact, do that anyway, because fencing is awesome).
    Or Fight Cl - *gets shot by a sniper*

Sure, I agree to a point skyblade. A fight should not take place over some comments; but a fight should never amount to a savage beating as well. If you do not show control, you will end up doing somthing you regret, or your opponent may. Thus the spotters.

There are ways to control the movement of the fight, just keep a good clean fight in mind, and if you get your way - you will get it.

I agree with boxing and fencing; though most schools don't even encourge such activities around here!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu
    lol, that is not what I mean by organised fights really.
    Bipper

Quote Originally Posted by Arcee
    How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
    You are no match for my witty repartee!

Anyway...

Rye made this!

Sure, I agree to a point skyblade. A fight should not take place over some comments; but a fight should never amount to a savage beating as well. If you do not show control, you will end up doing somthing you regret, or your opponent may. Thus the spotters.

There are ways to control the movement of the fight, just keep a good clean fight in mind, and if you get your way - you will get it.

I agree with boxing and fencing; though most schools don't even encourge such activities around here!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu
    lol, that is not what I mean by organised fights really.
    Bipper
    Could you give an example of something that you think is worth getting into a fight over, that you would have an "organized fight" for?

An organised fight would be handy in settleing threating situations. IE: Older Bully punching my sister in the face - my first fight, was definatley worth it. Other instances include an array of things that are too shallow for the law to come into play but not those that are salvageable through some talk. Ususally, I have found myself fighting for other people, whom were unable to or did not want to defend themselves. Most of these fights I have partiscipated in are very organised, and spotters have never had to get involved.

If it is a fight for fun, I still suggest spotters.

In a fight, I rarely had to throw more than half dozen punches. It really usually does not get so violent amongst kids.

Bipper

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
    Fight lines are something that has to come from the heart, in the heat of the moment. You can't pre-plan them; they'll sound canned and lame. Just kick the [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] out of the kid and speak the words that the moment gives you. If it happens to be "My fists feel like corn!", well then, that probably for the better. Not only will you leave him torn and damaged, but he will be perplexed as well. And there's nothing better than a confused cripple.

There's already no honor in beating the crap out of someone, so stop talking about honorable fights, or fights worth fighting and crap. If you're pissed enough to hit somebody, then you're pissed enough to hit somebody. Everybody has been there at some point in time, everybody has thrown a punch or a slap or scratched the crap out of someone.

Signature by rubah. I think.

An organised fight would be handy in settleing threating situations. IE: Older Bully punching my sister in the face - my first fight, was definatley worth it. Other instances include an array of things that are too shallow for the law to come into play but not those that are salvageable through some talk. Ususally, I have found myself fighting for other people, whom were unable to or did not want to defend themselves. Most of these fights I have partiscipated in are very organised, and spotters have never had to get involved.

If it is a fight for fun, I still suggest spotters.

In a fight, I rarely have to throw more than half dozen punches. It really usually does not get so violent amongst kids.

Bipper
    If someone punched my sister, I wouldn't wait for any spotters, I'd cream him then and there. It's not a case of making a point, it's a case of making sure that he doesn't do a damned thing to any member of my family ever again. Period.

Anyway, here's my assessment. The greater your sense of honor, the greater the reason has to be to get you to fight. A street thug with no honor fights over almost anything. A very honorable person almost never fights. So, if you have gotten into a fight, then that fight should take precedence over your honor. A street thug's honor is nearly worthless, so winning the fight is worth more than it. But the honorable person, while his honor is worth much more than the street thugs, will find that it is not worth as much as winning the fight. Because if his honor was worth more than winning the fight, he wouldn't have gotten into the fight in the first place. If a fight isn't worth winning, it isn't worth fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
    Fight lines are something that has to come from the heart, in the heat of the moment. You can't pre-plan them; they'll sound canned and lame. Just kick the [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] out of the kid and speak the words that the moment gives you. If it happens to be "My fists feel like corn!", well then, that probably for the better. Not only will you leave him torn and damaged, but he will be perplexed as well. And there's nothing better than a confused cripple.

There's already no honor in beating the crap out of someone, so stop talking about honorable fights, or fights worth fighting and crap. If you're pissed enough to hit somebody, then you're pissed enough to hit somebody. Everybody has been there at some point in time, everybody has thrown a punch or a slap or scratched the crap out of someone.
    Well, I am not saying go hunt him down and set it up, but if you are invited to a fight, suggest these rules. I dunno; I guess I grew up in the sticks, so our area (still has) more of a rights to passage set going on. Not fighting is not always the best option, imo. Infact, I would say its the next best thing after: talking it out, mediating, or ignoring do not work.

Besides that, I think saying there is no honor in fighting is just plain ignorant. Honor is given per person, and per situation. It may be of the most honor in culture A while culture B does not care. I don't think what is honor and what is not can be soo boolean.

If someone punched my sister, I wouldn't wait for any spotters, I'd cream him then and there. It's not a case of making a point, it's a case of making sure that he doesn't do a damned thing to any member of my family ever again. Period.
    Oh I did; but on hindsight, I did a little too much - I wish the spotters would have been there and I was not so full of rage.

Anyway, here's my assessment. The greater your sense of honor, the greater the reason has to be to get you to fight. A street thug with no honor fights over almost anything. A very honorable person almost never fights. So, if you have gotten into a fight, then that fight should take precedence over your honor. A street thug's honor is nearly worthless, so winning the fight is worth more than it. But the honorable person, while his honor is worth much more than the street thugs, will find that it is not worth as much as winning the fight. Because if his honor was worth more than winning the fight, he wouldn't have gotten into the fight in the first place. If a fight isn't worth winning, it isn't worth fighting.
    To find someone as not worth your time is an insult. If someone demands attention, I will see that they get it. If I would rather not, I will explain. I actually was in this situation during a drunken bowlin incident, and I was on my way home, and a gentleman picked a fight with me cause I would not buy him a drink ^^' either way, it would not have been a clean or fair fight.

I do see your point though, and I never mean to fight everyone, or that this fight is wrong and this is right. They are your battles; you choose em. If you are going to fight, I provided some advice, based off my experience.

bipper
    Last edited by bipper; 06-15-2006 at 08:16 PM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Casey
    Okay, here's the deal. There's no doubt in my mind that I'm going to kick this kid's ass. However, I have trouble when it comes to talking trash. Can you all tell me which of these lines I should and shouldn't use?

A. I'm as powerful as a horse, and I ain't never showed nobody no remorse!

B. The clock right over there says it's four, but I just say it's time to throw you through the door!

C. With none of your friends around, you ain't so tough. You know why they're missing? It's 'cuz I beat them up!

D. I hope you're okay with having to lose, 'cuz when I'm through with you there won't be nothin' left but your shoes!

E. How does it feel to finally be fightin' the guy whose fists are as fast as lightnin'?
    Option C is the only one that's good. The others just sound like they're ripped out of some lame movie.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with fight lines at all.
    Last edited by Mirage; 06-15-2006 at 08:45 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Oh I did; but on hindsight, I did a little too much - I wish the spotters would have been there and I was not so full of rage.
    When it comes to defending my family, I find that there is rarely such a thing as "too much". He's not going to do it again, and he's still alive, isn't he?

To find someone as not worth your time is an insult. If someone demands attention, I will see that they get it. If I would rather not, I will explain. I actually was in this situation during a drunken bowlin incident, and I was on my way home, and a gentleman picked a fight with me cause I would not buy him a drink ^^' either way, it would not have been a clean or fair fight.

I do see your point though, and I never mean to fight everyone, or that this fight is wrong and this is right. They are your battles; you choose em. If you are going to fight, I provided some advice, based off my experience.

bipper
    If they were doing something that wasn't worth fighting over, an insult seems like a perfectly good response to me.

Exactly. I did the same. Whose advice he accepts, if anyone's, is up to him. But if he follows your advice and loses, I'm going to laugh and gloat and say "I told you so".