Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Civilisation 2 and getting it to run

Quote Originally Posted by Genji
    I love Civ II and hate all the ones after it.
    Agreed. Once you got past Civ II the series went downhill. The same thing happened to the Master of Orion series once they went past MoO II (which is basically a sci-fi version of Civilization [and I actually liked the MoO games better]). Once they made the game go past a certain complexity level, they made it more tedious than fun. And that is a mistake, in any game.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Sort of. A lot of older games like Civ and Civ2 require a dos system to run. Unfortunately WinXP doesn't support DoS, so your best idea would be to download DosBox which allows you to play all those old games you have on your nice new PC.

I'm not exactly sure how you play the games (I haven't used it in ages, all the DOS games that I play are Scummbar supported, mainly adventure games) but follow the instructions and you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffing cheese on msn
    SEAN BEAN IS AMAZING.
    Lameshout: Lamers That Matter

i downloaded it, but im still clueless its just like a code screen, i still dont know how this helps me to play Civ 2.

With thanks to Owen Macwere

check out- http://z10.invisionfree.com/FFCSG/index.php?act=idx

Its only starting up, which means its not world class- but hey whats the harm in having a look. (or registering!) The only way its gonna get better is if more people join up.

Its got FF, art, writings, riddles, general chat and GFX battles. And each of these topics we are hoping to develop to its fullest.

Its not a catchy address either (free to run) so just save the link into your favourites for easy access

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade
    Quote Originally Posted by Genji
    I love Civ II and hate all the ones after it.
    Agreed. Once you got past Civ II the series went downhill. The same thing happened to the Master of Orion series once they went past MoO II (which is basically a sci-fi version of Civilization [and I actually liked the MoO games better]). Once they made the game go past a certain complexity level, they made it more tedious than fun. And that is a mistake, in any game.
    What pissed me off about Civ III was the fact that the people were so damn delicate.

China: Can we have some gold?
    Me(Japan): No, sorry, we're sorta broke.
    China: THIS IS IT!! YOU ARE DISLOYAL!! WAR!!

And then theres the thing where if you don't have a lot of money, every freakin 3 minutes this girl would pop up and say "Our treasury is almost gone!" And it got really annoying if I was trying to do something. And I couldn't find a way to turn it off either...

Quote Originally Posted by blue phoenix
    i downloaded it, but im still clueless its just like a code screen, i still dont know how this helps me to play Civ 2.
    That's where the instructions come in. Have a look on the website, there's some instructions. It basically converts Civ2 from Dos to a language that XP can understand so you can play it again. But I'm not even exactly sure if this well help, I just think it will because Civ2 has been out for ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffing cheese on msn
    SEAN BEAN IS AMAZING.
    Lameshout: Lamers That Matter

i know, i tried following it but miserably failed. i got about as far as intro, and then didnt know where to go next

Its only starting up, which means its not world class- but hey whats the harm in having a look. (or registering!) The only way its gonna get better is if more people join up.

Its got FF, art, writings, riddles, general chat and GFX battles. And each of these topics we are hoping to develop to its fullest.

Its not a catchy address either (free to run) so just save the link into your favourites for easy access

Blog Entries

Look for Test Of Time off of eBay. Thats what I play, its got Civ II in it with some added extras like Fantasy mode, Sci-fi Mode, and a Midgard Scenario, which is like an RPG type thing.

i dont have ebay, and i dont have a credit card.

right using this dosbox stuff, i managed to mount the Cd drive. See its directorty which contained the civilisation folders, but i dont know where to go from there. how do you run them?

EDIT- ive tried typing in civ2 and setup after mounting the disc. but it says this program must be run under microsoft windows, that mean this wont work?
    Last edited by blue phoenix; 06-16-2006 at 02:43 PM.

I think I may have got Civ2 to work on an XP machine but I don't know how. Civ4 is really overrated, not to mention hard.
    "Reality is that which,
    when you stop believing in it,
    doesn't go away".
    Philip K. Dick

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm moving this to the Help Forum to aid in your technical querie.

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

You could try running the game in compatibility mode for windows 98.

Right click on the game's icon, and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
    Click the "Compatibility" tab, select the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box and select windows 98 from the drop-down menu.

You could also try compatibility mode for windows 95, and disabling visual themes as well.

sounded like a fantastic idea, and i did it to several of the installation icons. I tried the main one first (the one that sai civ 2) but same message still came up. then after doing it to all others on Windows 95 and disabled visual themes. same message. thanks though

Any other suggestions?

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

I'll nab a copy from a freind or elsewhere and see what exactly the issue is.

However, A quick search showed me that it is supposed to be WinXP Compatable.

Just for reference do you use XP Pro or XP Home?

Anyways, I can't say how long it will take me to find a copy to play with. However, I will try to help if I can.

Also if worst comes to worst you could try playing it in a Virtual Machine on your computer. VMWare I think still has a free beta version of one of it's editions. The real issue is that it eats resources out the rear.
    Last edited by ShunNakamura; 06-17-2006 at 04:54 PM.

thanks for trying. if u get it make sure to say. err. i dont know. its a home computer so ill guess XP home?

im surprised it doesnt work as the games really not that bad.

whats virtual machine? and whats that last comment mean about eating resources?

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

A virtual machine is..... Well I am bad at explaining, but I will give it a shot.

Have you ever played a ROM or the ilk? If you have you would know that you need an emulator to pretend that it is that sort of system(such as super Nintendo) in order for them to work.

A virtual machine is similar. Except it emulates computers. So just like a super nintendo emulator can make it appear that you have a super nintedo built into your computer a virtual machine makes it appear that you have another computer inside your current computer. This internal computer can have a different operating system, different games installed, and can be turned off and on just like a regular computer.

The resource comment goes to the fact that emulation isn't easy. My 1.8Ghz intel is taxed running any more then 1 virtual machine or Win98. And depending on what is running on the Virtual Machine of Win98 even 1 can tax it. And normally 1.8Ghz should be plenty to handle Win98. What I was infering to(since you got a new computer it can likely handle this starin) was that you would notice your computer running a bit slowly if you tried to run any high maintainance games. Also the emulated graphics on the Virtual Machine are usually low(so definately now high graphic games), though they are enough to handle something like Civ II(I am guessing).

Whether or not you can try it will hinge big time on if you got a win98 operating system install disc or another OS install disc. Since you do need to install the OS just like on a real computer.

Definately not optimal. Which is why I class it as a 'worst comes to worst' solution.

I ask the OS because XP Home has given me all sorts of hell in trying to get stuff to work on it before whereas my Pro would easily install and/or run it. To check your OS open your start menu and right click My Computer. Select Properties. Under the General Tab(should be the default tab that it opens with), there is a header title System. Underneth it it will tell you your OS.

Anyways if it is home, I can't gurantee I will be able to reproduce your issue(and if I can't reproduce it I can't exactly try to troubleshoot anymore then what has already been done).

Also try to have it installed on another computer(preferbly not Win XP) to see if it is the install disc or the OS. I have heard of some similar issues in which it is a corrupted install file that causes issues with XP. If that is the case I would just find a download of it(since you already got the original). I will cast about for it if you have yet to find it.