Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Civilisation 2 and getting it to run

Default Civilisation 2 and getting it to run

Seperate topic- one of the best games ever? i think so

On topic- It wont install on this new computer, it worked perfectly fine on my old one- so i dont know what the problem is considering this new one is better. The old computer ran on Windows 98 Plus, and this new one is on XP.

First of all i put the Cd in, nothing happens. (Usually a seperate window comes up asking what you want to do). So i go to my Computer and the disc is there and after navigating through the folders on the disc i see Install so i click on it and something like this comes up:

16 bit Windows Subsystem

C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/AUTOEXEC.NT the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows Applications. Choose "Close" to terminate the application.

So is the new computer too "advanced" for it to work? The games graphics arent horrendous their pretty good and the manual says its only from 1996-97 it was made. So any way to fix it? Im also not a computer whizz so if you suggest "patches" or anything i wont know what to do.

With thanks to Owen Macwere

check out- http://z10.invisionfree.com/FFCSG/index.php?act=idx

Its only starting up, which means its not world class- but hey whats the harm in having a look. (or registering!) The only way its gonna get better is if more people join up.

Its got FF, art, writings, riddles, general chat and GFX battles. And each of these topics we are hoping to develop to its fullest.

Its not a catchy address either (free to run) so just save the link into your favourites for easy access

Dude, I love that game.

i know, which annoys me more that it doesnt work.

Its only starting up, which means its not world class- but hey whats the harm in having a look. (or registering!) The only way its gonna get better is if more people join up.

Its got FF, art, writings, riddles, general chat and GFX battles. And each of these topics we are hoping to develop to its fullest.

Its not a catchy address either (free to run) so just save the link into your favourites for easy access

I downloaded it a while back on a P2P. It works pretty good. Wouldn't that technically not be illegal since he already owns that CD and would just be making copies? That way this doesn't have to get snipped.

how do you do that? as i have the Cd right here

I don't remember how I did it, but you could find a bittorrent or you could use limewire.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Civilization 1 is better imho. I used to chase that scoundrel Elizabeth around the map like a bug.

ive limewire, what would i type in? and how would i know if it was the games entire content? plus how long would that roughly take with broadband? 1Mb

I'd just type in something like "civilization 2" and do a few variations on that. It might take a while to find something. Also, it'll take a while to download too. It could take the majority of the day, if not all of it.

right ill maybe try that, id prefer to find somthing more concrete as id be surprised if it worked and if i even found it. But thanks.

EDIt- and as i have the disc right here which wont work the downloaded version probably wont work.
    Last edited by blue phoenix; 06-16-2006 at 12:16 PM.

Civ4 is better; you even get a big red button for nukes.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffing cheese on msn
    SEAN BEAN IS AMAZING.
    Lameshout: Lamers That Matter

Blog Entries

I love Civ II and hate all the ones after it. Civ II is one of the best games ever, IMO. I use tactics like getting as much money from my enemies as possible and then suddenly wiping them out. The fartheset I've gotten was to about the colonial times. I have Test of Time, and I can guarantee you that BakerMan is going to post here.

i tried limewiring it, didnt work. nay patches that would help or anything like that? i would just need told how to operate them.

Isn't it a DOS game?
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffing cheese on msn
    SEAN BEAN IS AMAZING.
    Lameshout: Lamers That Matter

? what u mean DOS? as in MS-DOS or something else?