Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Text Vs. Voices

Default Text Vs. Voices

Personally, I hate that the new FFs have voices, I would rather prefer text - I mean, I actually rather like the Japanese voices, but always, the dubbing is terrible. It loses effect. I wish they would have an option where you could select english subtitles and have Japanese Audio - Like Sonic Adventure.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Hayabusa; 06-17-2006 at 03:08 PM. Reason: I wanted to make a poll

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I'd rather have an ability to choose about all the options, and if there's enough space in the discs, they could give us a choice between Japanese and English voices. So when you go to the Options/Config menu, you could choose:

Voices: English - Japanese - off
    Subtitles: English - Japanese - (possibly some other languages) - off
    The game language: English - Japanese - (possibly some other languages) - off

I think that would be really nice, and it could be possible. To name a random example, Toonstruck let you toggle voices on and off, and you could also toggle subtitles on and off. I always had them both enabled.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Ive always prefered text because 90% of the RPGs Ive played are text. Voices are ok for use in FMVs, but I dont like constant chat. I prefer reading the lines to listening to them. But I like using Japanese voices with tex, I did it with Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana. That had the option of Japanese and American voices.

I prefer the text. Me and my sister would have so much fun doing the voiceovers. I always got stuck with the villains and all the male roles (I'm a girl). The voices tend to annoy me because they're almost always American and it grates on my nerves.
    "Reality is that which,
    when you stop believing in it,
    doesn't go away".
    Philip K. Dick

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Text/subtitles is a must, being an RPG, but I wouldn't mind japanese voiceovers though available in the english release
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I'm a bit slow in the head so I like text over voices. Gives me time to read it over. Speech usually puts me off and confuses me.

Plus if its a text based RPG and something shocking is said, you get to run it over in your head and be gobsmacked! If its speech, then its over and you dont even enough time for the shocl to set in.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I miss being designated the "voiceover" for RPGS In the old days I used to do all the voices since there was no dialogue if I played with my friends.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Text. I can read the lines before the character has finished speaking them, so it's quicker and easier this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic
    Text. I can read the lines before the character has finished speaking them, so it's quicker and easier this way.
    Same here.

By the way, I'd MUCH rather use English voices than Japanese voices. The only way I'd be able to stomach Japanese voices is if there are absolutely no female characters in the game. They're always so smurfing shrill!

Unlimited Hentai Works Twilight Edge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by starseeker
    I prefer the text. I would have so much fun doing the voiceovers. I always got stuck with the villains and all the female roles (I'm a boy). The voices tend to annoy me because they're almost always American and it grates on my nerves.

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

my favourite FFs are ones with text but the newer ones are designed to have voices and almost certainly would work as well with text. i like text but FF12 with text just would not work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Dialogue: English/Japanese...choose between the two most distributed video-game languages.

Subtitle: On/Off...choose English dialogue, have Japanese subtitles, and vice-versa.

i prefer text, and i find it funny to read all the dialogue before a character finishes speaking so i can cut them off. well, bad voice-acting is also one contribution to cutting off certain characters.

Blog Entries

Text is good but i think voices give the game more emotion and emphasises important parts for me so i dont miss out important bits of information
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Text all the way man. The text rpg era represents a classic era we'll never have again to me. I like that the music really has to be good to convey the emotions of the game, that's why games like FF7 and Xenogears are so great because those are classic soundtracks. I personally prefer if there is voice acting it to be only in special scenes (Twilight of the spirits or the first Shadow Hearts for example), and you still get that feel of exploring the towns and talking to your party members with nothing but the music to convey the emotion. I prefer the interactive book to the interactive movie I guess, plus so many of the voice actors suck or are the same douche's you've heard in half a million other video games. Now music takes a backseat pretty much to the voice acting where in the text games it was one of the most important things.