Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in a rut?

Default Stuck in a rut?

Now im pretty certain everyone who plays this game has hit a point where a break is needed. Where exp looks like a form of torture, and the end game seems too samey. How do you all get out of such a rut?

Im in one right now. With my current character I've reached level 52 as paladin. Everything looks like a horrible idea. I even tried going back to Valkurm to liven things up. Right now I just find myself logging in, and then logging out again. I think its because I've already seen levels 50-60 through with another character, and this time Im not so excited about it.

I remember when I hit my level 30 rut, I used to go on fun adventures with a friend. Between us we could barely get through an advanced job quest, but we unlocked them all. Heh, certainly gave me time away from exp.

So what works for the rest of you?
    Please check out my writing in the arts and writing forum!
    http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60115

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I've reached that point now, and I'm level 30. I haven't played in half a year. I do plan on reaching 70+ though. Eventually.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Yeah, I'm 75 and doing end-game stuff. I'm just bored of it, nothing seems that fun at the moment. So I'm taking a break to play other games, go out and do things, especially with my g/f coming to visit soon.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I almost quit a long time ago. I just gradually played less and less. I was frustrated with some things and just put it down. The only reason I came back is the result of some prodding from my wife (who I'd gotten addicted before it 'quit'). I'm really glad she got me back in it. There are definitely times when nothing seems interesting. That's usually a good time play some other (offline) games and just try out some other things.

However, try not to let yourself give up. While it may feel odd to return after a long absesnce (I usually took 1-2 months off at a time) you eventually get back into the swing and will most likely really enjoy it again and want to do a lot of stuff.
    Last edited by Yeargdribble; 06-18-2006 at 01:06 PM.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

You could craft, take up another job, do missions, go exploring? Assuming there are places you haven't been to yet... Or do some fancy quest.
    jkhkjg

Buy the expansion packs would be a good idea to fuel your interest into the game!

Heh, I actually got out of my rut today in the silliest way. I logged in quickly to help a friend, they had a party member down in valkurm and Im the helpful sort. So, I walk to Valkurm, raise their party member, stand around for a little bit and make sure nothing evil eats them. What's this? A /tell? A party? Wow, and to think I didnt even have my flag up. An hour and a half later and im level 53. Nothing to snap you out of a rut like sweet sweet success.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

they have that new expansion Aht Urghan, you should try it (I am yet to)

My biggest issue with the expansions is getting started. Most people are so far in now, and without a linkshell its difficult to organise anything like that. Not to mention the fact I have to have reached around level 60 before most things are even an option

I recently recovered from a long, long rut. My linkshell died, I didn't know anyone who could help me with missions, I wasn't prepared to level up and didn't have the money for new scrolls or armor, and REALLY didn't want to go farming. So I dropped the game for like... three or four months.

The only way I rekindled my interest was by making out a plan, and sticking to it... made a new linkshell, and brought most of the old members back with some new people. Farmed like a mad man and went back into EXP parties with a bunch of close friends. It worked. I'm reobsessed.

You can catch up in Aht Urghan pretty fast. All of the missions up to a certain point are just cutscenes so you don't have to have a group for them. You really won't be left behind as they haven't really released the bulk of what they are planning yet.

Quote Originally Posted by No.78
    You could craft, take up another job, do missions, go exploring? Assuming there are places you haven't been to yet... Or do some fancy quest.
    Trust me, when you're burnt out on a game, especially when you've been playing for nearly three years, nothing seems fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GOD GUNDAM
    Buy the expansion packs would be a good idea to fuel your interest into the game!
    Done, haven't finished them fully (and the missions are incomplete for the newest expansion). Still bored. =P

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

just dont play it for a cupel of weeks it be fun agin after that

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think I'm in a level 10 rut. I had so much fun soloing and doing quests that I'm not sure if I won't be disappointed with playing with strangers in a party for the next few weeks.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

All I'd say to that is don't judge all parties by the standards of the ones you find in valkurm ><