Thread: Could someone tell me what's going on?

Default Could someone tell me what's going on?

Hey there, I only recently got FFXI and i've jjust set up everything. Well earlier, I first started to play the game but before I did it said that there was an update 14000 files or so which was gonna take about 2 hours so i thought ok, i'll go out. So i came back and it was all done and i went on and started to walk around and get the feel of everything.

I decided to only have a quick go so i logged off, and I've just returned to it and clicked to play it but it's making me update FFXI AGAIN? I've just done it.. why is it making me do it again? Sorry, i'm a n00b

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The first time you play FFXI, right after you install, you will have to download several hundred megs of data. These updates fix bugs, holes that hackers had taken advantage of, etc... Get used to it, as every online game has updates. The good news is that unless it's a major patch release, the updates should be very small and only take a couple of minutes to download and install. Online games are ever-changing, ever-growing beasts and part of the way this is obtained is by updates.
    Figaro Castle

Thanks! I'm only just getting started. It's a pretty big world and i've already been asked to do a few things.. i just have to get used to the controls etc. and it should be ok. Thanks again.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator

I'm glad to see that you have gotten everything started alright. Please keep in mind that the initial patching which you have completed must be endured throughout every install of an online game. It's a common thing.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Ok, well it's all dandy. Cheers guys. Just a quick question to whoever really.. how did u all really get started? I'm trying to train up atm at Ronafaure, it's strange.. i'm just fighting Wild Rabbits so i think let's try something new, bump into an Orc and to be honest he pretty much makes me wish i wasn't alive. I'm just trying to gather up money for shields and swords.. hmmm.. how'd u guys do it?

-When you're exiting town you'll see a guard near the gate. Talk to him and ask for Signet. This will allow you to get crystals from the monsters you kill.

-Keep all crystals and other things and sell them on the AH. Always check the price history before selling things on the AH.

-Buy beginning armor and weapons from NPCs in Southern Sandy shops.

Hmm, that's good sound advice!

Just remember, if you get really stuck, look for help in game. Although the majority of people might not seem very helpful, you might manage to catch a mentor or just a friendly player who is willing to take the time to show you a few things!

Just don't give up, and remember, you can always learn through your own experience.
    Please check out my writing in the arts and writing forum!
    http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60115

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator

You'd do well to socialize as best as you can.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

It might be ok to undercut the going price by a little for the AH at times. Because items put on the AH are sold by the listing price that is the LOWEST first, then they consider the order it was up there. For instance if something has a price history of 1000gil, you put it up for 1000gil, however someone else put it up for 800, therefore if someone bid 1000 for that item, assuming you two are the only people selling that item, the guy who put the item up for 800 sells first and the seller gains 1000gil. However if the buyer bids 800, the 800 going price item will still go first, but the seller will only get 800gil as opposed to 1000. This keeps things dynamic. If you put things lower, they sell faster and therefore more money. However you also run the chance of people underbidding and therefore losing money. If you put it for the going price you wont get this, however it may stay on the AH longer, or worst off not sell because theres so many items on stock(or people underbid so much 900 gil is flooded on the history instead of 1000) and you have to put it up again and also eating the Tax.

Hope thats not too confusing >_<;

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Quote Originally Posted by CloudedSquall
    Ok, well it's all dandy. Cheers guys. Just a quick question to whoever really.. how did u all really get started? I'm trying to train up atm at Ronafaure, it's strange.. i'm just fighting Wild Rabbits so i think let's try something new, bump into an Orc and to be honest he pretty much makes me wish i wasn't alive. I'm just trying to gather up money for shields and swords.. hmmm.. how'd u guys do it?
    2 well placed ireplaceable words

BETA TEST

i loved it then and i still do now

Which FF Character Are You?

Leave me and save urself.... one thought at a time
    After Action report 12: section Alpha: Paragraph 5: subsection Zulu:
    General Beranger Stone with his last great action took 10 bullets to the back while protecting his troops.... long live loyalty

I haven't forgiven myself for what i did for her death...

How do you do the BETA test?:rolleyes2

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

You don't. That happened years ago.

i happened to do it those years ago

Which FF Character Are You?

Leave me and save urself.... one thought at a time
    After Action report 12: section Alpha: Paragraph 5: subsection Zulu:
    General Beranger Stone with his last great action took 10 bullets to the back while protecting his troops.... long live loyalty

I haven't forgiven myself for what i did for her death...

Quote Originally Posted by General Beranger Stone
    i happened to do it those years ago
    No one cares and it was irrelevant to the topic.

To the OP: You just need to keep training up there, and make sure you /check (or CTRL+C when targeting an enemy), and make sure they are easy prey to decent challange. You'll level faster if you don't attempt to fight even match, tough, very tough and incredibly tough.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."