Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

Thread: niks FFVI low level, natural magic challenge

Blog Entries

Yay, go Nik!

If I remember correctly, it's not too long until you get to the Crane!

...and I bet the Crane will be one damn tough battle.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

nik, what characters are you using? I'd suggest Cat Scratch again, but I'm sure you get the picture. (I really hope you got that Rage.)

Then there's Edgar's Tools (I assume you picked up the Chainsaw in Zozo), and if I'm not mistaken, that's the boss that changes his elemental property, right? Well, does he cast spells too? I guess I'd suggest Runic for that.

This probably won't really help you, but meh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X
    nik, what characters are you using? I'd suggest Cat Scratch again, but I'm sure you get the picture. (I really hope you got that Rage.)

Then there's Edgar's Tools (I assume you picked up the Chainsaw in Zozo), and if I'm not mistaken, that's the boss that changes his elemental property, right? Well, does he cast spells too? I guess I'd suggest Runic for that.

This probably won't really help you, but meh.
    Some of that guy's most dangerous spells can't be runic'ed, though, if I remember correctly. Such as his quake-attack and Aqua Rake. Atleast I THINK he had those, but I'm not sure if I'm thinking about the right boss. It's been a while...

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You might be thinking of the boss on top of the Fanatic's Tower.

No, he does have those spells, but he doesnt use them all that often. I beat him on my second try.

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9
    I HATE the whole thing on the track in the cart, even at normal levels. I feel bad for you, that part is just annoying to say the least

THE JACKAL
    No kidding. It was annoying, but I managed to pass it with the right strategy. I equipped Gau with a pair of running shoes and a wall ring. If the first battle was just one single enemy I kept everyone alive. After that I killed everyone except Gau and I just sat there while the enemies casted fire/ice/2 on me. It reflected back on them and eventually would kill them. While I was waiting I would use potions and tonics on Gau. At the fifth battle I had to worry about reviving both characters, which was a pain in the ass. However, on my last try I got lucky. I used a phoenix down on Edgar after I there was only 1 enemy left, adn then he attacked gau only. I then used a potion on Edgar and waited for everyones bar to fill. Then I immeidately used a phoenix down and a potion on Locke. Edgar and Locke gained one level, unfortunately. I finished the battle and had to deal with the boss (This was what, the 8th time I'd fought him?)

He was a pain in the ass, but I managed to perservere. The strategies on gamefaqs seemed subpar (or impossible with the way I had everything set up) so I came up with my own. Gau still had the running shoes and wall ring equipped, so he and locke were my non stop healers. Edgar used flash twice and then I attacked one of his arms. When one arm was dead I focused on the body (I found out that I shouldnt kill off both arms the ahrd way) when one arm revived I would chainsaw the other arm and kill it, then chainsaw the body again. When that arm came back to life I'd repeat with another flash or two, and from then on the battle was pretty much a repeat of that strategy.

And yes, the cranes are giving me problems. I'm not sure how I'm going to beat them yet, but that corny song that we all know and love is playing in the background right now and it is encouraging me to continue on!

..and so perservere I shall.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What strategies have you thought of for the cranes? You can't use rods, so...and do you plan on doing anything with Setzer? (Like, is he useful at all?)

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine
    I don't think you can avoid all the rats, I never found a way to do it. You may have to suck it up and take the XP. I'm only able to dodge one of the last rats, but I havn't played in so long I can't tell you how.
    According to Necronopticous, as well as another guide, all of the rats can be avoided. It'd be one thing if I was using an emulator, but I'm not. (And good thing, because my computer crashed the other day and now it won't even start!)

If it helps you to do better in the challenge I still say I think the odds are too greatly against you in your challenge.
    o rly?
    If I say you cant I know you'll have a little more of an edge on this. If Im going to show an interest in this at all . I might as well not blow the challenge off and just pretend itll be easy...wish you luck as if you are only going to need my consent and a little bit of luck wishing...this challenge will be hard .... I see your challenge and I dont think you can do it. Prove me wrong.

ps: I would be impressed if you pull it off. It's "funner" for me to be honest with you towards the challenge...good luck but you CANT do it.

I bet you are so ready to do it now....too bad you cant!
    Last edited by lovehurts; 07-13-2006 at 06:59 PM.

If Setzers H-Bomb counts as fire, the only move that comes to mind of his that would help is the diamond one. I don't think the Chocobos hit the cranes, but I'm not very sure on that. With low levels I'm not sure if he'll be effective at al right now. I'd think you took reflect ring of Gua, as it wouldn't help much only hurt if they bounced off and powered themselves up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lovehurts
    As long as he can make it past the sky battle, he can beat this challenge hands down. A low-level challenge is 100% possible, so Nik's should be possible as well. Sure, it IS a big handicap to not being able to use the awesome magics like Life3 and Ultima. And Siren is awesome in the annoying sky battle etc. But even so, I'm sure it's completely possible without them.

Quote Originally Posted by corncracker
    If Setzers H-Bomb counts as fire, the only move that comes to mind of his that would help is the diamond one. I don't think the Chocobos hit the cranes, but I'm not very sure on that. With low levels I'm not sure if he'll be effective at al right now. I'd think you took reflect ring of Gua, as it wouldn't help much only hurt if they bounced off and powered themselves up.
    I'm pretty sure the H-Bomb is non-elemental. But it's hard to rely too much on the slots, as they are a bit random after all.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually nik, if you're not using magic (well, any magic to be of use), then are you allowing Echo Screen/Joker Doom?

Actually nik, if you're not using magic (well, any magic to be of use), then are you allowing Echo Screen/Joker Doom?
    I don't know this game like I do some of ther later FF games. What is Echo Screen/Joker Doom?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow
    Quote Originally Posted by lovehurts
    As long as he can make it past the sky battle, he can beat this challenge hands down. A low-level challenge is 100% possible, so Nik's should be possible as well. Sure, it IS a big handicap to not being able to use the awesome magics like Life3 and Ultima. And Siren is awesome in the annoying sky battle etc. But even so, I'm sure it's completely possible without them.

Quote Originally Posted by corncracker
    I'm pretty sure the H-Bomb is non-elemental. But it's hard to rely too much on the slots, as they are a bit random after all.
    True, but otherwise Setzer won't be worth much at all this fight. Though it would probably better to use him as a healer. But when attacking if you know how to use slots well, which I don't, you could probably hit H-Bomb fairly easily.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine
    I don't know this game like I do some of ther later FF games. What is Echo Screen/Joker Doom?
    It has to do with manipulating the RNG (random number generator) that determines what you get for slots. (Slots isn't exactly random in this way, per se.) Different animations can effect the RNG, like Echo Screen's smoke effect. It can help you get three sevens for Setzer's Joker Doom (the insta-death thing.)

I'm not exactly sure how to explain it, so use this link, with info by the programmer who discovered it:

http://masterzed.cavesofnarshe.com/GameDocs/slotfaq.txt

Hopefully you can understand it. I dunno, some might consider this cheating, but I've read guides of low-level games which have used it. I guess it's up to you. But knowing you, I'd imagine you'd want to do things the non-cheap way.

Blog Entries

That's basically like Vanish-Doom, isn't it? So why don't those low-level guides just suggest that instead?

In any case, both are cheap and would probably just ruin the whole purpose of the challenge.

Yeah, that sounds too cheap to me. Lucky 7's is supposed to be "lucky" for a reason. I'll only use it if there is absolutely no other way to progress and there is seldom only one single way to progress through a challenge.