Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Thread: niks FFVI low level, natural magic challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow
    That's basically like Vanish-Doom, isn't it? So why don't those low-level guides just suggest that instead?

In any case, both are cheap and would probably just ruin the whole purpose of the challenge.
    the difference between that and Vanish-Doom is you have to learn magic to do Vanish Doom

I personally have never used either thing and find them both to be stupid

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The same guide I read also suggested Vanish-Doom, so I guess they don't have morals. xD

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X
    What strategies have you thought of for the cranes? You can't use rods, so...and do you plan on doing anything with Setzer? (Like, is he useful at all?)
    Every guide I've looked at says you can't use rods you bought, however any that you find are fair game. Hopefully you waited and got the Thunder rod in Figaro Cave on the second time through (with Celes and Locke) instead of the Tincture when you first went through. One of those bad boys is weak against thunder magic (or at least doesn't heal when you use it) and that rod can do major damage to it. If you missed the rod though or grabbed the tincture, then you're going to have to tough it out. If you have it, then have Gau use Pteradon in a battle before the cranes so he won't be killed by Magnitude 8. I'd also recommend using Stray Cat rage since it has no elemental attacks that would work against you. Aside from that, Locke should definitely heal (he's not much good attacking afterall), and you can decide based on your party what you want other members to do. Setzer might be better at healing, but I'm not sure how much damage his slots will actually do since I'm not there yet. Might be best to have him heal and Edgar chainsaw like there's no tomorrow.

I do have the thunder rod, but I am heading the advice of my guide and I am saving it for the IAF. I just woke up from a rather long ass nap, and I'll be firing my game up again soon.

Edit: aahh! One crane down!! Finally.. Now I can focus the rest of my efforts on just one crane. I think I might finally have this fight in the bag. Thank you Gau.

Double Edit: Yeah, I rock.

Triple Edit: Alright, so I've been on the Veldt for quite some time now trying to encounter a chicken lip (and hopefully an aspik, but I've pretty much given up on ever encountering one of those things)
    Is there any way to manipulate what monsters show up more frequently on the Veldt?

I also managed to steal 5 Gaia gears. They should come in handy later, plus they are better than any equipment I have right now anyway.
    Last edited by nik0tine; 07-14-2006 at 10:02 AM.

*Double Posts*

What did I call my challenge again? Low level natural magic? Yeah, thats right, nowhere in that title does it say I can't summon Espers.

Although the guide on gamefaqs restricts it I am not going to restrict myself from summoning Espers so long as I do not learn any Magic. The reason I am doing this is so that I can avoid getting exp. from those bomb-like things in the battle with flame eater. Casting Siren will silence, and obviously, if one is silenced, one cannot blow themselves to smithereens and net me exp.

I will only use Espers, however, if it will prevent me from gaining exp. Espers aren't "technically" magic so I'm not "technically" breaking any rules. Besides, whats the better alternative? Use an Esper for one fight and not level up or follow the rules strictly and level up? I'm definetly going with the former.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't see anything wrong with it. I was wondering if you'd allow that though.

I know there is a way to manipulate the encounter rate, but I don't know how...I'll probably research that until/unless someone else tells you.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

isn't the encounter rate slightly higher in forests?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

There are no forests on the Veldt.

Also, FlameEater is proving to be a very formidable opponent. That is all.

Aside from Aqua raking him to death and the Ice rod you find, I can't think of much to do against him. Though if your avoiding hitting the bombs altogether, you could try equiping Strago with Ice Rod and keeping everyone else Healed.

The problem with that strategy is that every time you attack him he counter attacks. Usually it's just fire or fire 2 which I can block with wall rings, but occasionally he counters with fireball which wipes my whole party out.

Get as many Items to increase magic defense as possible then, though I don't think there's many at all yet.

Aside from that I got nothing.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

nik, the Algorithm faq by Terii Senshi on Gamefaqs might help you encounter certain Veldt monsters.

I don't know if it will, but it's definitely worth a read. The 'Veldt' section has all the info.

I'm still having trouble with flame eater. His fireball attack completely wipes out my party. I've only ever survived it once (strago survived with 9 health.) I need help with this.

Edit: Is this even possible?
    Last edited by nik0tine; 07-17-2006 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine
    I'm still having trouble with flame eater. His fireball attack completely wipes out my party. I've only ever survived it once (strago survived with 9 health.) I need help with this.

DOnt give up please nik. YOu survived the attack so that its good actually. Hmmm. DOnt give up. YOu can do this. Ok ,do you have ice weapons. Ummmm what do you have equipted please share. I dont know how much I can help but I will help you as much as I can nik. YOu have impressed me with your progress.

Being a fire-elemental monster makes it incredibly weak to ice attacks, so equip Strago with an Ice Rod and Locke and Terra with any Blizzard swords you have, and just attack Flame Eater physically YOu wont have anything strong enough to break his bomblet attacks. I would use any espers on him that you have. Mind all of your espers in the items and skills that you have. YOu can learn ice without gaining many levels if I remember right....
    Last edited by lovehurts; 07-17-2006 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lovehurts
    Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine

DOnt give up please nik. YOu survived the attack so that its good actually. Is there any way to get reflect. If you could just get reflect. Hmmm. DOnt give up. YOu can do this. Ok ,do you have ice weapons. Ummmm what do you have equipted please share. I dont know how much I can help but I will help you as much as I can nik. YOu have impressed me with your progress.
    Haha, don't worry. I will not be giving this challenge up.

I have Reflect Rings on everyone. However, beacuse of the wall rings I cannot damage Flame eater very well because he reflects his Fire/2 spells back at him and heals himself so I'm forced to wait until he runs out of MP. That is a problem in and of itself because I don't have rasp or osmose and the longer I wait the more likely it is that Flame Eater will use Fireball which is pretty much a death sentance.

I'm not sure what to do, but right now I'm formulating a strategy using my only barrier ring. What I plan on doing is this: Equip Terra with the barrier ring before I encounter Flame Eater. I will then get into a battle immediately before flame eater and I'll allow Terra to get killed. Everyone else will run. When the battle is over I will revive her with a Phoenix down. I will not, however heal her. This means that as soon as the battle with Flame Eater begins Shell will be casted on Terra. After that I'll heal her. I will use Locke to cast Siren so the bombs can't explode. I'll kill all of them but one, though. (I'll get exp but I doubt it will be enough to level me up at this point) If I keep both Terra and Strago at maximum HP for the entire battle I should be able to survive fireball and stay alive long enough to revive Locke and Strago if he dies as well. I'll have to be able to do this repeatedly without warning though, so it's going to be tough. Possible, but tough.

I tried this earlier with Strago and it ensured that he would survive the fireball attack. I'm using Terra, however, because Strago already has a slim chance of surviving.