Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Thread: niks FFVI low level, natural magic challenge

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine
    Quote Originally Posted by lovehurts
    I'm still having trouble with flame eater. His fireball attack completely wipes out my party. I've only ever survived it once (strago survived with 9 health.) I need help with this.

Edit: Is this even possible?
    DOnt give up please nik. YOu survived the attack so that its good actually. Is there any way to get reflect. If you could just get reflect. Hmmm. DOnt give up. YOu can do this. Ok ,do you have ice weapons. Ummmm what do you have equipted please share. I dont know how much I can help but I will help you as much as I can nik. YOu have impressed me with your progress.
    Haha, don't worry. I will not be giving this challenge up.

I have Reflect Rings on everyone. However, beacuse of the wall rings I cannot damage Flame eater very well because he reflects his Fire/2 spells back at him and heals himself so I'm forced to wait until he runs out of MP. That is a problem in and of itself because I don't have rasp or osmose and the longer I wait the more likely it is that Flame Eater will use Fireball which is pretty much a death sentance.

I'm not sure what to do, but right now I'm formulating a strategy using my only barrier ring. What I plan on doing is this: Equip Terra with the barrier ring before I encounter Flame Eater. I will then get into a battle immediately before flame eater and I'll allow Terra to get killed. Everyone else will run. When the battle is over I will revive her with a Phoenix down. I will not, however heal her. This means that as soon as the battle with Flame Eater begins Shell will be casted on Terra. After that I'll heal her. I will use Locke to cast Siren so the bombs can't explode. I'll kill all of them but one, though. (I'll get exp but I doubt it will be enough to level me up at this point) If I keep both Terra and Strago at maximum HP for the entire battle I should be able to survive fireball and stay alive long enough to revive Locke and Strago if he dies as well. I'll have to be able to do this repeatedly without warning though, so it's going to be tough. Possible, but tough.

I tried this earlier with Strago and it ensured that he would survive the fireball attack. I'm using Terra, however, because Strago already has a slim chance of surviving.
    That's brillant. This challenge is for geniuses.Good luck. Do you have any espers to call on? Why cant you get terra to transform and attack him the attack would be efficent.
    Last edited by lovehurts; 07-17-2006 at 01:50 AM.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Terra needs Magic Points to use Morph, which I don't think he has too many of to be of use.

Well, if I was planning on depleting his HP I could do that. However, I don't do enough damage and the only magic that Terra knows is fire, cure, and antdot. I could use the ice rod I found in a chest but that, according to a guide, is only enough to deplete half of his HP. If he wasn't constantly healing himself with Fire2 it wouldn't be such a big deal, but I can't do enough damage to him before he uses another fire 2 spell.

Edit:I can morph because I can get those magic points on the Veldt. The problem is doing enough damage before I morph and use the ice rod. I think it might be more effective to let him deplete his MP. Does anyone know how much MP a fire 2 spell consumes? What about his fireball attack?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fire 2 costs 20 MP. I don't know about Fireball, however. (Being a monster attack.) Is that the Meteo-esque attack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame Eater's stats
    Flame Eater:
    HP: 8,400
    MP: 480 (...)

Well, if I was planning on depleting his HP I could do that. However, I don't do enough damage and the only magic that Terra knows is fire, cure, and antdot. I could use the ice rod I found in a chest but that, according to a guide, is only enough to deplete half of his HP. If he wasn't constantly healing himself with Fire2 it wouldn't be such a big deal, but I can't do enough damage to him before he uses another fire 2 spell.

Edit:I can morph because I can get those magic points on the Veldt. The problem is doing enough damage before I morph and use the ice rod. I think it might be more effective to let him deplete his MP. Does anyone know how much MP a fire 2 spell consumes? What about his fireball attack?

If you could use reflect on him it could work much easier but I dont think that you can.

You are thinking like a survyvor . You cant hurt him badly so let him wear himself out of mp 1st then attack. Thats very smart. But his attack kills you...hmmmm. This is tuff.

Fire 2 costs 20 MP. I don't know about Fireball, however. (Being a monster attack.) Is that the Meteo-esque attack?
    Crap, thats alot of MP to just 'wait out'.

Will a white cape reduce the potency of the fireball attack? If so, I'll give strago a white cape instead of a cure ring, which should ensure that two people survive the fireball attack instead of just one. Although, my barrier ring strategy seems to be working. The problem is that I do not know when fierball is going to occur so I must keep Terra at max HP at all times and I must keep her turn free. If her turn is not free and he casts fireball it's pretty much insta death for me. The balloons will finish her off.

Old-Ones Studios Cruise Control's Avatar

Not the potency, but it gives a 5% chance of evading it.
    Leave some shards under the belly
    Lay some grease inside my hand
    It's a sentimental jury
    And the makings of a good plan

Blog Entries

It really sucks that there's no Fire-absorbing equipment up to this point in the game. But is there really only 1 singel barrier ring? I thought you could buy those... but that, too, may only be later on.

Anyways... what's your most dammaging attacks other than the Ice Rod? I was just thinking if it would be possible to take him out in one singel sweep and have something more "offensive" than wall rings equiped. But then again... can all your characters survive Fire 2?

Edit: Wait a sec... do you have Zoneseeker? I mean... since you'll already use Siren to prevent any EXP, using another Esper as well can't be that bad, eh?

Of course, it would be better if you don't have to do that, I guess.
    Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 07-18-2006 at 06:10 PM.

It really sucks that there's no Fire-absorbing equipment up to this point in the game. But is there really only 1 singel barrier ring? I thought you could buy those... but that, too, may only be later on.
    You can buy them, but only before you get the airship. I can't get any now, unfortunately.

My most damaging attack other than ice rod is Stragos aqua rake, which does like 200 something damage.

I'm going to play again soon. It sucks not playing on an emulator because I have to go through that stupid "Flames be GONE" scene every single time.

You can buy them, but only before you get the airship. I can't get any now, unfortunately.

My most damaging attack other than ice rod is Stragos aqua rake, which does like 200 something damage.

I'm going to play again soon. It sucks not playing on an emulator because I have to go through that stupid "Flames be GONE" scene every single time.
    I didnt win the 1st time either I had to train. The flames be gone scene does get old.

ugh.. this is so ridiculous. I just fought him again. My barrier ring strategy does work, but it's not all that reliable. Does it only work once per battle? If that's the case then that means Terra cannot die at all during this fight. Also, what happens when Shell expires? I think I need a new strategy.

Edit: Dragoon Boots!!!!
    Last edited by nik0tine; 07-19-2006 at 10:02 PM.

Blog Entries

If Flame Eater got 8000 HP, and Aqua Rake only does 200... then I guess it would be pretty much impossible to "take him out in a singel sweep". >_<

I'm not sure how the Shell ring works, but its effect SHOULD be activated whenever Terra's HP runs low. But then again... maybe not. Maybe it really only works once.

What's even worse is that I can guarantee that the sky battle (Air Force) still will be much, much worse.

Yeah, not really a helpful post. xD But then again... I guess it's pretty much impossible to think of something clever unless you're doing the challenge yourself. But I'm counting on you, Nik! You CAN do it!

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There has to be a way. You've found ways before.

Now what are you Dragoon-ing up?

Well, I figure if everyone is in the air than fireball isn't going to kill anyone. The problem is ensuring that someone is in the air all the time. I just got back from doing alot of crap so now I am debating as to whether or not I should keep Terra with the Barrier ring to ensure that I can survive fireball if everyone is not in the air, or to give her dragoon boots as well and just make sure someone is in the air at all times.

can't you give her a barrier ring and dragon boots as your two relics?

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9