Thread: Graphics Card Problems

Default Graphics Card Problems

Well I bought a new graphics card due to the fact I have integrated grahpics... So anyway, it's a NVIDia geforce2 mx 400 64mb w/tv.

Well the problem is that I install the graphics card drivers from the site, and then restart my computer. So when it comes up I run dxdiag. I go into Display and it still says im running the SiS integrated graphics card still. So I then go to hardware manager and uninstall the SiS card drivers. Restart again, and I go back to dxdiag and it still says im running the SiS. Whats going on?
    God Loves Variety

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Make sure to disable the IG device from your system's bios when you first boot up. I believe Windows gives preference to integrated devices.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is it doing that with the monitor connected to the new card? Could be Windows is using both cards - multiple monitor support is interesting I've not tried it myself though with two graphics cards enabled at once, so dunno if dxdiag behaves funny or gives wrong information when in that configuration
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

I'm pretty sure DxDiag will have 2 tabs for Display, one for each video device. That's at least how it handles multiple sound cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko
    Make sure to disable the IG device from your system's bios when you first boot up. I believe Windows gives preference to integrated devices.
    How would I do this, I loaded Bios when I first started up. The only thing that I saw that had to do with video on the hardware options is Primary video slot. I changed it to AGP/Onboard because the graphics card goes through the AGP port. But dxdiag still says im running under SiS. Before I switched to AGP/Onboard it was on PCI.
    God Loves Variety

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Try disabling the onboard video through the device manager instead of uninstalling it.

Well after I disabled it dxdiag said that the computer is using a generic Video Driver. So I reinstall the drivers for the card and it still says that im using the default video driver.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    God Loves Variety