Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dragonball Z!

The Hardcore Gentleman Emerald weapon's Avatar

DBZ was good ahmean i can remember as a lad coming home at 4 and having to wait an hour to watch it on CN,yeah the fights were good but the thing that done my head in was the small sagas that never meant anything like the''sayaman saga''(dont know if i spelt it right)which was between cell and bu sagas,and the lengthy processes to power up''super saian 3!!!yay!!''ahmean wtf?n GT pissed me off because gohan had turned into a complete pussy lol he became a geek n he was ma fav character,DBZ was gd to me as a 11 year old but now ive just matured i suppose

One hungry Tyrannosaurus Pauten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    Yeah, I kind of doubt Toriyama is a fan of DBGT in any regard. After being forced to keep going with DBZ until he was finally even sicker of it than the average person, he was probably pretty disgruntled by the time Toei said they were going to continue the anime without him...and then asked him to provide them with character designs and a story premise.
    Toriyama stated in an interview he liked GT.

Dragonball was good, Piccolo Daimou was the best part.

Dragonball Z was Gohan's story. Until the Buu saga destroyed that idea...Although the final few epiosdes look really nice. Majin Buu had some great moments of originality I mean Fusion! Who would have expected that. I think information on the internet ruined it to an extent for westerners. Imagine the suprise of a Japanese boy (or girl) opening Shonen Jump and reading that for the first time.

Dragonball GT; it had some good ideas but i think it failed to pull them off...Cool theme songs mind. :P

Why all the Son Goku hate? I think he's great, the Japanese equivilant of Superman. People also exagerrate the amount of time spent staring each other down too. However there that critism is justified but if you dont like it read the manga it has very little of that kind of thing.
    Last edited by Pauten; 06-29-2006 at 07:39 PM.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

He also stated in an interview that the series went more or less in the same direction he would have taken it himself, including the transformations, and he also did a drawing of SSj4 Goku for the Japanese DVD Boxset of GT as an extra, so it's pretty safe to assume he accepts it.

Edit: It's not so much Goku hate, either. He was just, I dunno. Piccolo and Vegeta were both more likeable characters to me. Gohan and Goku are both pretty boring, although the Great Saiyaman was funny. Mirai Trunks was cool, too.

Piccolo and Vegeta are likeable. Sometimes I wonder why I like Son Goku over Vegeta and Piccolo.
    Goku I suppose represents that whole nothing is impossible philosophey in the way he is always the underdog going into a fight.

Gohan had his moment, most fans call it the greatest moment in the entire trilogy...(SPOILER)His transformation to Super Saiya-jin 2 against Cell.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

No, the best moment in the whole series was when Oolong blocked Pilaf's wish for world domination by blurting out his wish for a hot babe's panties instead.

Ok. Correction. best moment is when Krillin (spieling) died on Namek, and Goku turns into a Super Sayen. After that, it sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    No, the best moment in the whole series was when Oolong blocked Pilaf's wish for world domination by blurting out his wish for a hot babe's panties instead.
    Hahaha! That was funny but what was even funnier was the way that the american version edited it...The US version had some rather interesting ways of getting round things that were not fit for American TV.
    I'll always stick by my choice because it just showed that Dragonball could do drama well and it was interesting to see Gohan go from the little crybaby at the begining of the show to the most powerful fighter in the world.

I never watched DB or DBGT, but I was a fan of DBZ a few years back. i can't remember it all too well now, but I do feel that the whole 'getting stronger, super saiyan thing went a bit over the top - it seemed that the whole time the 'strongest evil baddie in the unviverse' was threatening them, and suddenly the become the 'strongest goodie heroes in the universe'. I mean, how many times can an even stronger baddie turn up, honestly. And how many times (and people) can they turn super saiyan??

I liked the cell saga alot, but I did hate the fact a single fight took 4 or 5 episodes. And many episodes were spent staring and thinking. Nice to know how the characters feel, but I do want some action eventually.

I'd say after the frieza saga it got alittle ridiculous. but all in all DBZ was good. all 3 were great in the own way.. but only in the original japanese versions. FUNimation ruined Dragonball/Z/GT. Also, why do people think Dragonball was crap and think of it as a prequel that came after Z? Dragonball was the original! GT was really good if you see the original japanese... but the eps that aired in america leave you thinking... what the hell is this crap!? examples of edits: GT in america skipped the first, i think, 15? episodes. in the first DB episode (japanese) there was a bunch of cursing, goku pissing on the side of the road likes its no big deal, and multiple topless shots of Bulma. YOu really cant say how good or bad the show is if you've only seen the FUNimation versions

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire
    I'd say after the frieza saga it got alittle ridiculous. but all in all DBZ was good. all 3 were great in the own way.. but only in the original japanese versions. FUNimation ruined Dragonball/Z/GT. Also, why do people think Dragonball was crap and think of it as a prequel that came after Z? Dragonball was the original! GT was really good if you see the original japanese... but the eps that aired in america leave you thinking... what the hell is this crap!? examples of edits: GT in america skipped the first, i think, 15? episodes. in the first DB episode (japanese) there was a bunch of cursing, goku pissing on the side of the road likes its no big deal, and multiple topless shots of Bulma. YOu really cant say how good or bad the show is if you've only seen the FUNimation versions
    And that's the reason I loved the Spanish versions, less censorship

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I have all the episodes of both DBZ and DBGT (though if you asked me for the DBGT I'd stare blankly at you not knowing where it is).

You should do the same except the site is down. Good stuff.

(DBZ comprises 291 episodes which amounts to around 16 to 20 dvds)

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

I feel it went the wrong path...

like pokemon, they stuck to the goal, but never quite getting to it, thus meaning they HAD to become more uber as the shows went by... and continually winning there battles etc..

at least they eventually got rid of the episodes where they spent half an hour being constipated in mid air "ARRRRRRHGGGHHHHHH!!!!"

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

If you think the show is too long you are watching dubs.

The original series makes sense and doesn't take too long in its pacing. A little drawn out and too many plot points but it all makes sense.

The Hardcore Gentleman Emerald weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa
    I feel it went the wrong path...

like pokemon, they stuck to the goal, but never quite getting to it, thus meaning they HAD to become more uber as the shows went by... and continually winning there battles etc..

at least they eventually got rid of the episodes where they spent half an hour being constipated in mid air "ARRRRRRHGGGHHHHHH!!!!"
    yeah glad they done that!i can remember an episode were vegeta was powering up a huge attack for the second form of cell and it took about 1 and 1/4 episodes for him to finnally launch the attack and he didnt kill cell!!!i was really dissapointed and angry that i got all worked up for nothing!

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Quote Originally Posted by Pureghetto
    If you think the show is too long you are watching dubs.

The original series makes sense and doesn't take too long in its pacing. A little drawn out and too many plot points but it all makes sense.
    I watched the original subtitled versions of most of the series.