Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man...or Super-Man?

Kevin Spacey is the only reason I want to see this film.

good evening, miss Tifa's Real Lover(really's Avatar

i saw it yesterday and wow........im glad i did

I would probably go play video games or have sex (the usual) - Nominus Experse

my mom would be like "ve? yo te dije, el internet no es bueno."

"seriously, my mom tells me "que tu hase en eso el dia entero?" and im like "mami yo toy hablando con people" xD. spanglish, ftw." ~ liz

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It was good, but nothing really knocked me off my feet. From the responses I've seen I expected something spectacular to happen and nothing really did. There was only one major 'twist' in the whole thing and I was expecting a lot more significant developments in a 2 1/2 hour movie. Maybe I just overhyped it or I'm getting a lot harder to impress.

Was much better than X3, but Batman Begins is still the best comic movie in recent years (unless you count X2 as 'recent', my all time favorite comic movie).

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

(SPOILER)Most of the action sequences placed Superman against circumstances rather than characters. It was Superman vs. an airplane, a car, a fire, a yacht, an island. There should have been more scenes like the one where he walks right up to the guy with the gatling gun--or, at the very least, a proper showdown with Lex.

Lex, by the way, made the movie. I'd watch the entire film a dozen more times just to get off on Spacey's performance.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, Superman needs some more super-powered villains to be effective.

But no clones please.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I liked it. Didn't love it.

I thought the movie was pretty flat. Not flat as in boring but flat in that it was consistently good the whole way through, but there weren't any real big peaks. There were a few, "oh hey, that was pretty good" and stuff like that, but not many "whooooa" moments.

(SPOILER)I disliked the fact that Lex and Superman didn't interact in any way until like the 3rd act of the movie. And it seemed like Lois got more screentime than Superman did. That bothered me.

But I liked Kevin Spacey as Lex. And I liked Marlon Brando's voice.

I wished there were more scenes with Clark because I liked Clark. I like Clark more than I like Superman, so the lack of Clark scenes made me sad.

The music was great. The cannibal puppy thing was possibly the worst thing I have ever seen in my entire life. That was horrid.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder

But no clones please.
    The majority of the dedicated Superman villains are pretty lame, though, and General Zod has already been covered. Maybe Brainiac would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi

But no clones please.
    The majority of the dedicated Superman villains are pretty lame, though, and General Zod has already been covered. Maybe Brainiac would be good.
    What 'bout a NEW ONE!? that's not so hard I'm sure.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Please don't be ridiculous. The best aspect of comic book movies is seeing comic book characters translated to real actors. Not even Spacey's performance would have been as enjoyable if he'd been playing a completely original villain named Steve Mulligan.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Please don't be ridiculous. The best aspect of comic book movies is seeing comic book characters translated to real actors. Not even Spacey's performance would have been as enjoyable if he'd been playing a completely original villain named Steve Mulligan.
    But Steve Mulligan is SO badasssssssssssssssssss!

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex
    ditto. And who REALLY cares if they add a villain which isn't on the comic books? If I'm the producer, it's MY movie and I'd add whichever villain(s) I want and just make it known at the end of the movie "villains in this movie ARE not based on Superman's DC original comics" NO BIG DEAL

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKnight
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephex
    ditto. And who REALLY cares if they add a villain which isn't on the comic books? If I'm the producer, it's MY movie and I'd add whichever villain(s) I want and just make it known at the end of the movie "villains in this movie ARE not based on Superman's DC original comics" NO BIG DEAL
    And no one will come see it, you won't turn a profit, production companies won't ever bid for you, and we'll never have to see any of your films again.

Signature by rubah. I think.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKnight
    What 'bout a NEW ONE!? that's not so hard I'm sure.
    Between Lex Luthor, Metallo, Doomsday, Mr. Mxyztplk, Mongul, Toymaker, Brainaic, Zod, about half a dozen different superpowered monkeys, Prankster, Bizarro, Darkseid, and others I can't recall currently, there's not much need to create any new villains for Supes.

But no clones please.
    I am sure doomsday will be next, after he (SPOILER) he launches the kryptonite filled island into space. It would created a modified means for Doomsday's creation. Doomsday is a very bad ass character and would offer a great sequal.

Other than that, the lack of fight scenes can be atributed to having to reel in a new generation of superman fans (an other viewers) into supermans past and present. The movie, down to every miniscule scene, gave you a glimpse of aspects of Clark/superman's life, that the whole movie collection thus far potrayed. Even somthing as dumb (SPOILER)as where lois and her fiance are talking and the fiance says "How tall do you think Clark is" yaknow, putting the puzzle together, and they both get realed in until clark looks across the room and gives a crocky uber nerd smile and wave; completley freying any logic leading people to belive he is him.

All those little things really do make this movie something great. The movie makes you think, feel, and relate. Somthing anything short of XMEN 2 has yet to do for me (comic to movie wise)

Default Superman Returns

Just got back from seeing it and I was very, very impressed. I wouldnt call myself a Superman fan as Ive only seen the first movie and watched Smallville. I was abit iffy about the new Superman as Christopher Reed was Superman in my eyes, but he really was an excellent Superman. I thought they would have gotten the guy from Smallville to play the part, but Im gald they didnt.

And Kevin Spacey as Lex Luther is ... wow. Totally amazing. Spacey can play good villians. It was just amazing and I would see it again. Has anyone else seen it yet?