Thread: Using the level bug kills the atmosphere in this game...

Banned

Default Using the level bug kills the atmosphere in this game...

I see it's pretty popular to use this level bug in order to progress easily through this game: attack yourself, waste MP and so on; but I actually think this murders the feeling in this game.
    I restarted this game on Origins yesterday evening, and I didn't care about the bug at all, I just fought around the usual way.
    Doing so, I discovered how incredibly fun this system actually is, because it feels so much better when you ignore all this über-boosting and just let them rise by themselves.
    Simply have your chars use their personal strategies - I used Firion for attacking and healing, Maria for black magic and Gus for massive physical attacks (dual axe!), and just ran around and fought like that.
    I didn't care about the stats at all, but just battled, and still, my stats rose every now and then, and some hour later all of my magics from Altair were at Level 2.
    This was way more entertaining than freaking out because your stats didn't rise "the way you planned them to rise for that one battle".

Seriously, ignore this bug, just fight the usual way.
    If you're having trouble in a dungeon, just warp out, refill, and re-enter.
    Trust me, your stats WILL rise, and you don't need to care about it at all.
    Try it out, it's a lot more fun.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

You've made me smile.

And you know what that means...

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually never really use it at all, except to level up lower level spells. (I usually have my characters stick with the same weapon for the whole game.) Your hands start hurting alot with the 'Select-> Cancel-> lolxzs!!1one" all the time.

Swap, on the other hand...

I didn't use it the first time I played in on emu because I didn't understand the system or know about the bug. I thought that the bug had been changed/fixed in the DoS version, so I didn't even attempt it then either. It didn't really change the atmosphere of the game to me.
    Sigless

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

I thought that the bug had been changed/fixed in the DoS version, so I didn't even attempt it then either.
    It has been removed in DoS.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Some of us like doing it. Seriously, what you're saying is akin to say 'lol play low level games, they're more fun!'

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu
    Some of us like doing it. Seriously, what you're saying is akin to say 'lol play low level games, they're more fun!'
    He's not saying play low level games, he's saying that you don't need to exploit the codes flaws in order to advance further than is needed. I'm all for this approach. I traditionally go through a dungeon as far as I can, teleport out when I'm on the verge of death, and then try it again. Some dungeons can take about four or five attempts to get through them this way, but you get a real sense of accomplishment at the end rather than just power-levelling before heading in.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

I'd think that doing to bug-training is rather flawed anyway, for example, if you keep hurting yourself to get HP, then curing yourself, then eventually you'll find yourself not owning enough gil to heal at the inn. Cosidering that the inn price is dependent on your healing needs, you'll need to do a lot of "proper" battles to get the money, which just uses up the time that you'd use otherwise. Also if you keep using the select-cancel thing with magic, then you will not gorw sufficient MP to keep up with your magic levels

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's where Swap comes in.

Although anyone that doesn't use Cure to heal HP before using an Inn...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X
    That's where Swap comes in.

Although anyone that doesn't use Cure to heal HP before using an Inn...
    "swap"?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Eleven
    "swap"?
    It's a white magic that swaps your HP and MP with the targeted enemy; IOW, your 5000 HP Firion will get about 5-6 HP if he uses it on a Goblin.

The Goblin, however, will only stock as much HP as he can carry himself, meaning you both with have 5-6 HP in the end.

That's why this spell it's so incredibly useful for leveling up.

You mean this bug to use weapon one hundret times in battle, and then look how it's leveling up? This is boring if you do it in one battle. Running around and using spells, or weapon's is like regular leveling up to me. Though i care only about spells anyway.
    FINARU FANTAJII KYUU COMPLETED!

FINARU FANTAJII GO COMPLETED!