Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique this sig in progress.

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

.gif

.png

The gif still has some edge issues. But it does look lots better then it did previousally as a gif.

However, the PNG is still smoother.

I also decided to see how it would look if I made the images non-transparent and stronger.

In addition I played with the text somemore.

And I have indeed been looking through everyone elses sigs, It was actually other people's sigs that gave me the love I have for transparancies. However, I figured a hands on attempt at a more potent sig would teach far more then just watching(I only learn so much by looking at finished products afterall :P).

And it isn't like this is the only forum I have been posting on. I have asked for critique in many places.

Which reminds me, a couple comments I got I figure I may as well repeat here to see if you guys aggree with them. Bear in mind the comments are meant for the last version of the sig.

Old one that the following comments were ment for.

A) My background, while neat looking, is background that makes blending images into it far more difficult then would be wise.

B) My colors are a bit a too bright, is another comment. My issue is that when I try to darken it anymore I just don't care for it's look.

C) The neverwinter text while neat is too thin, and I should find a heavier one.

D) The text colors need to stand off from the background more.

E) The images for how this sig plays shouldn't be transparent.

The other comments were mostly along the lines of what you told me before, that the images a too small, and I should have picked one to focus on.

Blog Entries

I still have somewhat of a problem with the border. Personally, I think it looks better being black, but If you don't that is fine, I respect your style. The text MAY look better outlined black as well, but I'm not sure. Other than that, I don't see much of a problem. Nice work.

The text has been suggested to have a black outline multiple times and I plan to give it a shot.

Black border. I can give it a go, I won't know which way looks better til I try.

Edit- Got two hack jobs to look at. Another forum area said I could try to fill the void by arching the text for The Fourth Coming.

My usual design with black borders.

The hack job with arched text.

With the arched version should I chop up the sig some more to give the whole thing more of an arch?

Someone talked me into shrinking the width. So here is that.

And then I did make one with the arch... but it is bleh imo.

Last edited by ShunNakamura; 07-05-2006 at 02:30 AM.

you are so much improving you know. the one with the arch text is alot better, it fills the space between the pictures. good work and well the black border is alot better than the red because it calms the sig a bet.
    the background is too dark, when it was lighter it was better cause now it is taking the glory of the pictures ^^.
    but over all it is getting better every day. keep working and you'll gwt to the best shape ^_~.
    and as of .Gif it is its problem that it makes the edges rough even Genji the best one here with transperancy you can see the rounded corners in his sig is rough, it is not somthing to learn, that is .gif and nothing can be done to change it. but alas only Gif saves transperancy *_*.
    Last edited by Owen Macwere; 07-05-2006 at 10:35 AM.
    I <3 you Polaris
    ~Antratica forum~ You know you want to join =p

Well I kinda decided to take a break from the last one. Since I am mostly doing them for pratice I decided to try something different.

So here is my latest(that I through together pretty quickly[so don't expect anything overly fancy).

I am going to have to find more images to use at this rate(or cut some out of those I got left on my comp... I hate cutting out those images ).

Because I thought the font wasn't good I changed it. Unfortunately I got very few fonts to pick from that aren't ultra plain.

So I tried this one.

Which I think looks better.

Edit-

Updated version of the white one, now officially named 'The Ancient One'.

END EDIT
    --------
    Alright made another just for fun. A darker one.

Now all I need is a nifty image. And perhaps cut the height a little bit. It may be a bit too tall now for the text... will depend on the image I get I guess.

upgraded version of the other evil seraph one.
    Last edited by ShunNakamura; 07-08-2006 at 05:14 AM.

thsy are so cool, you are really getting alot better all the time. here I will help you in images and brushs and fonts.
    for renders go here: http://www.render-world.com/gallery/...bum=topn&cat=2
    and for cool brushs here: http://missm.paperlilies.com/01_brushes.html
    and for fonts you know dafont is so cool....
    keep going man you are going to be awesume ^_~.
    I <3 you Polaris

Articles
    Blog Entries

they're quite good, definately improving. The largest critism i have is on the picture quality. Not sure what program you're using but I don't see why the images should be looking like that. The pixelated text is the major perpetrator.

It'd also be good to see images in there.

Stay Essential
    EE

Quote Originally Posted by eternal essence
    they're quite good, definately improving. The largest critism i have is on the picture quality. Not sure what program you're using but I don't see why the images should be looking like that. The pixelated text is the major perpetrator.

It'd also be good to see images in there.

Stay Essential
    EE

The pixilated text is likely my fault. Because I feel the text must fit the theme I use a bunch of effects on it to try and theme it with the background. I think I make them too sharp too often.

Anyways thanks to Owen's magnificent Render link here is a render thrown into the 'Evil Seraph sig'. I tried to keep if fitting and merging, but I don't know if I did it well or not.

I used a disolving stroke on the image to try to give it a more firey feel and to try to match it better to the background an text. I think I made the stroke too thick so I may have to go back and fix it.

---Edit----

'The ancient one' with a new render.

The Colorless version.

The colored version.

Lighter version.
    Last edited by ShunNakamura; 07-09-2006 at 01:20 AM.

I like the evil seraph sig, and yes the stroke is alittle too much, oh and the clours are stealing the render so you got to make it show,how? I made a high quality sharpening tutorial in this forum it is still in the first page of the PS tutorials help. check it there, it keeps the quality high and also sharpen it.
    the text is too big also, try to use less attractive text. and it still needs a render I'd suggest a 1pxl of that marron or whatever red is it?.
    but you are imroving, practice, practice and practice.... tha's what I do and also I play around with filters and belding modes ^^.
    try everything, make mistakes... and correct them it doesn't matter, as long as you are learning.
    I <3 you Polaris

Is this any better(killed the stroke, and changed up the font a bit)?

yep, the text is alot better but the render is still stolen. you got to ease off your background alittle, it is too colourful.
    I <3 you Polaris

Blog Entries

I don't think it looks that bad. Its a dark type of signature. How is it too colorful, Owen? Its red and black...

Anyway, I think its fine. My only suggestion would be to make it so the red parts are a little more red, they look somewhat magenta to me.

nah, I mean the render is not shown very well, so he needs to reduse the colours of the background to let it show. that's what I ment.
    I <3 you Polaris

Blog Entries

I think the render is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Genji
    Anyway, I think its fine. My only suggestion would be to make it so the red parts are a little more red, they look somewhat magenta to me.
    Redder... Glad I saved it with the background in three layers. I should be able to do that.

new redder

old less red