Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique this sig in progress.

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

Long Long break...(school keeping me busy). Anyways I did one for christmas but I can't get inside the size req here so meh.

The main text I think should likely be another color but I don't really got any idea what color I should have it as.
    Last edited by ShunNakamura; 12-09-2006 at 06:20 AM.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

It's a nice one....but uh...the text...using a little silver-ish grey will be nicer...I mean..green isn't a good colour in this sig...just my opinion

EDIT:May I know how you did the moving things?I mean...how you do that (I dunno what you call it) in GIMP?

想要對妳說的 不敢說的愛

I am not sure how animation and the ilk works in GIMP. I animate with the PS tools.

Anyways, for the pre-animation steps this is what I do. Also I will * the steps that you should experiment with different values to get what you like.

1)You need to make a new layer on top of all the layers you want covered with the animation.
    2) You then need to fill the layer with black.
    3) Use a noise filter to add monochromatic noise[scatter HSV I believe in GIMP] to the layer. You want a lot of noise in general. So low Holdness and high value*
    4) Set the layer to Screen blending.
    5) Use the Guassion blur Filter to blur it(somewhere between .5 and 1.5 I find works best. Lower number gives more falling and a bigger number gives less(if I recall right)).*
    6) Now you need to open the color levels screen(under tools-> Color Tools-> Levels) Set the first of the input values to 90, leave the middle input alone, and set the 3rd to 120. Leave both output values alone.
    7)Repeat steps 3-6, using a slightly different amount of noise each time(I even change the amount of blur by abit for further customization), as many times as desired(at least twice I would recomend).
    8)Animate the layers. I don't know a thing about GIMP animation[I use image ready] so here I'll have to leave it to you.

Anyways I changed the color. The issue I am having is finding a color that is readable but that is also meshable with the sig.

Also I may play with GIMP's animation capabilities[to see if I can find out how they work], but it won't be able to do so until late on Saturday. I am busy much of the day :/

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

Got another one and this one is black and white!

Hmm.. oddly the colors are a slight bit darker around the edges and the changes between shades is a slightly(very slightly) more defined than in the psd. Ah well, the png still came out better than the jpeg.

This was a fairly quick thrown together signature that I had used as an excuse to play with some effects. Actually found a lighting effect that I liked on this one[which is unusual]. Another unusual aspect of this signature is it is untitled. Generally I always have a title for my signatures.
    Overall I think it is a bit empty and too plain. But maybe I am just in an angsty mood(have had little sleep).

Blog Entries

Really cool!

What program do u use?

Well it's nice...to me it's ok not too plain...but why not resize it to become smaller so it wont look to plain?

想要對妳說的 不敢說的愛

I like this siggy, very much unlike your old work. I like the render and the g colour. Dude, your work is cool, and for first time no text.
    Also, I like the border. I have nothing against this one, not at all.
    I <3 you Polaris
    ~Antratica forum~ You know you want to join =p

Ice Angel - For that signature(as well as the one I will post in this reply) I used Photoshop CS2 for. However, I switch between the GIMP and Photoshop quite often.

XandrewX - Didn't think of it at the time. Plus I think it is more than empty space that gives me the 'plain' feeling.

Owen - The border came out surprising well in my opinion. The blending effect I utilized came up with a result I had not predicted.

Another quicky(can't seem to sit too long in front of the computer lately, though it doesn't help that I have yet to fully adjust to my glasses). Personally I like this one more than the last, though it still feels lacking. Probably because I really skimped out on the effects with this one. I tried multiple different lightings but none of them really 'worked' imo. I do like the text in this one more than I usually do(I stink at text ).

Lets just say this was experiment Galore. I don't dislike it.... but I don't exactly love it. I think having the render on the left side kinda ruined it. Should have cut the width a bit and had just floral patterns on that side, I think. Maybe not.
    Last edited by ShunNakamura; 12-21-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Decided to try and reaquaint myself with GIMP. I really did forget how to pull off many of the fancier effects. Unfortuneatly for some reason the text looks like it is on top of the lighting.... and it is actually below it(layer wise, I don't know how I managed to get it to look like it was on top).

Yes, the pink one isn't my fav. The green-blue one is so cool, it has great deepth in it, the blending is very good too, but the render would have looked better if it was bigger. =)
    The christmas one is my fav obviously, so happy and cheery. Not a fan of the text.
    I <3 you Polaris

Decided to make a sig using that sketch I did. Probably not the best idea since it isn't a great render but meh, I wanted to try it for a change(part of the reason I have been working on my sketching skills is so I can make my own sketch sigs rather than having to use other peoples sketches).

I think maybe the border offsets it too much, but that may just be me.

And long time no sigs.

Long time no sig. Completely dropped out of this for a good while that I did. However, I have come up with a new one that I think is semi-decent. So I figure I should share it just to be nice .

Text is hard to read but then again I have never been good with text. Unfortunately it is too large to use as a sig here until I get around to playing with settings to see if I can squeeze it in without losing anything. So I get to stick with the one I threw together in no time at all as my current sig.

I have not checked this thread in so long. xD forgive me, Shun.
    I LOVE the sword one, it's so cool. I also like your current except that it's a bit too empty. I like the newest one, the colors are nice. =D
    I <3 you Polaris

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Macwere View Post
    I have not checked this thread in so long. xD forgive me, Shun.

No problem. It isn't as if I helped matters by being lackluster when it came to producing sigs either(afterall when a thread doesn't update for a month or two it would make your wonder if the thread is even still alive ).

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Macwere View Post
    I LOVE the sword one, it's so cool. I also like your current except that it's a bit too empty. I like the newest one, the colors are nice. =D

The music one was made for a signature Competition at another forum. Looks to be losing so far. Though that is slightly because the bracket I was in has one of the better signature makers on that forum in it, and quite frankly his throttles mine good.[only slighty due to the fact that even if I was in the easier bracket I still would have had solid competition and in the finals I would have had to face the good one anyways ]

My latest endeavors are to get a flower one for this forum's competition(just about done with it, just a bit of minor tweaking left). And finally a quickie I threw together while getting tired of trying to locate the defects in my possible entry.

A bit simple, but then again it was a quickie. So one can't expect too much.