Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Cheap" tactics. Cheating or Fair Game?

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cheap tactics are fair game for the most part in my opinion. They're an inherent part of the game, how can it really be cheating? But if someone overuses a cheap tactic then it gets annoying.

But the examples that the thread starter posted definately seem fair enough for me.

And I really don't see how using KOTR in FFVII is cheap, it takes so much smurfing work to get, you should be able to use it when you want.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't really use it because its cheap, it just takes so damn long. I'd rather mime-spam Limit Breaks, but thats just me.

There is a fine line between cheap and you sucking...usually in a game as long as you are within bounds of that game, whatever happens is fair. For example while Sagat's fierce punch is very and even some say overbearingly powerful, it is not cheap to use that move over and over. In fact if you get killed by it, then you suck, its not an issue of it being cheap, there are ways around that punch. Its just that, that particular move is very good. Or in the case of the wall in Tekken which makes you take uber ammounts of damage. Its not cheating or cheap, its there, and if you get hit in there then you either suck, or messed up. In the old Street Fighter days, throwing was considered "Cheap" and people get into real life fights over it or let the other guy throw them back if they threw them.

Now in CvS2, as much as i hate this, the glitch Roll Cancel is not cheap. The glitch lets you do a special move with an invincibility of a roll, hence its almost in all ways "invincible". Supers go through you, special moves or etc. Its not unbeatable though, and it doesnt break the game and in fact since it is so hard to do, it is considered a skill on its own, and not all RCs are the same..in fact it changed the game it is played today, for better or worst.

However the point of being cheap appears when the game is broken beyond playable or un-fun. For example if something made it so that the Fierce Punch can kill you in one shot, it doesnt matter if you can do your most l33t combo in the world...you lose in that one punch, in that sense, i can sorta say its cheating and broken. So to me personally, it is only cheating if you are using a 3rd party device, or there is something so hideiously wrong with whats going on that it adversely affects gameplay rendering it "unplayable".

Other than that, those who say those are cheating or being cheap or etc...well yeah they usually are not that good players to begin with, either in taking the game seriously, skill in the game, or game sportsmanship. Ie: The Scrub.

EDIT: On the note with infinite...people can and still do mess up including MvC2 infinites, and for some traps there are loopholes, so its not totally broken. On that note MvC2 is very cheesy and unbalanced lol.

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34747
    ^Best article on cheapness ever
    Last edited by Lionx; 07-09-2006 at 01:11 PM.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

well, cheating isn't that big a deal. It simply means you are unskilled and require extra help. and KOTR, just isn't even worth it.
    I HATE people who give me dirty looks and look down on me if I use a game shark! Hey if I wanna cheat it's none of your damn business and come on, it's not like I'm murdering someone, it's just a game shark!!!
    But to get back on topic, cheap play is just cheap. Like when playing a fighting game, always using laser beams that take half of your opponents health or constantly using the same unblockable combo. It's super cheap, but fair. No fun.

^ But if those laser beams can be gotten around and is not game breaking yet you still get hit by them, who is at fault?

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

I only consider something cheap if it gives newbie players an insurmountable advantage over top-notch players. Unless it takes an arm and a leg to get, it's cheap.

"Cheap" play is perfectly fair, because they could do it too if they took the trouble to find out how. Of course, some things actually are pretty cheap (like using Chun Li's infinite kick on Street Fighter and nothing else). Even if they complain that you're cheap because you're better than they are, you can always handicap yourself just a bit. That usually calms them down.