Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The flinch reflex...

Default The flinch reflex...

how would someone reduce,eliminate or even change the flinch reflex(change meanin they reflexively did something else).i just wanna know..heheh.please,either link me or just lemme know.

thanks in advance,
    summonercloud.

Blog Entries

Remove the spinal cord.

there was a picture here

funny....but really,i mean some kind of mental/physical training-wise.

as in,that WON'T kill you.
    or paralyze you.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, you'd just have to learn how to not flinch, I suppose. I'd imagine that's rather difficult, being a reflex and all...

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Desensitization to whatever makes you flinch. Surround yourself in it and have it go off whenever you least expect it. Over time, you will flinch less and less. However, this is a long, and sometimes it is forgotten by YOU, and also can set you back if you do it improperly.

Alternatively, you can remove the spinal cord. FAR easier. As you can tell, Old Manus removed his a long time ago. He is flinchless.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I'd advise against learning not to flinch. It's kinda of a survival mechanism. In certain situations if you don't have it you could, yknow, die 'n' all.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

as dumb as it sounds,i am into many types of martial arts,and my goal isnt to not flinch,but to not look like a moron doing it.not to look like a wuss but make it look like an active dodge and make it work like an active dodge,block or reversla....any help?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hmm. I reckon you should train with a buddy - someone you trust absolutely not to smack you in the head by mistake - so you're more comfortable with forcing yourself not to flinch. Practice parries and evasions over and over, honing them until they're instinctive responses when an opponent strikes at you. Make them into muscle memory, in other words - so that your 'flinch' is actually to evade or block.

For example, a blow toward the head would normally result in a flinch away. Instead, get your training partner to through strike after strike toward your head, but pull them short without actually making contact. Force yourself to do nothing at all, not even blinking, when his hand comes toward your face. Once you can do that comfortably, get him to repeat the same attack, but this time you block or evade it using the appropriate technique.

Remember, though - a flnch can also be important on its own, such as blinking to prevent impact on your eye; and a flinch of a limb or the body can be a good starting-point for a sidestep or counter.

It could also be good to talk to your sensei/instructor/sparring partners about this, too. Experienced practitioners undoubtedly know a few methods for getting around our minds' instinctive reflexes.

If you are used to something happening you won't flinch. If someone stopped short of hitting you over and over again you would sooner or later stop flinching becuase you know s/he won't hit you (hopefully.). It would be near on impossible to teach yourself not to flinch at anything. I wouln't suggest you try anyway. It's a defence mechanism. Just leave it as it is.

I'd personally say flinching is innate i.e. it isn't learned, but 'programmed' as such, into your anatomy. Thus I'd say it'd be very hard, if not impossible to try and 'unlearn' how to flinch. Just imagine trying to stop yourself from smiling every time you found something funny or were happy.
    That being said however, alot of intelligent people's posts suggested otherwise - so you never know.
    [center] I Painted My Own Mona Lisa
    She's Fixed Everything
    Now I'm Spoilt Beyond My Wildest Dreams
    [center]

what Tavrobel said is correct. my brother and my flinch reflexes have been cut down some because when we were little kids (7-8) we constantly pretended to hit eachother and over time the reflex wore down some.
    Sam = Ax = MAS82587 = PedroXC = DistanceRunner = Cloud of SOLDIER

big d,your reply is what i was looking for.i thank you.

a lot.^^

This guy will help
    :mario::luigi:

I think i want to shoot you.

anyone got a gun?i think that dumb moogle has one....

and by the way,
    a dead chompy has better reflexes than him.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know how whenever something comes towards your eyes you instinctively flinch to protect them and scrunch them up? well I know that I don't do that, I used to but then I just forced myself not to flinch it's a really hard thing to try and not do but now I can actually allow people to touch my eyeballs if they don't back down. It freaks people out and isn't a good idea to start messing with flinch reflexes as they are there to protect you and your body from harm.