Thread: Simplified English?

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Simplified English?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060705/...us/simpl_wurdz

WASHINGTON - When "say," "they" and "weigh" rhyme, but "bomb," "comb" and "tomb" don't, wuudn't it maek mor sens to spel wurdz the wae thae sound?
    ADVERTISEMENT

Those in favor of simplified spelling say children would learn faster and illiteracy rates would drop. Opponents say a new system would make spelling even more confusing.

Eether wae, the consept has yet to capcher th publix imajinaeshun.

It's been 100 years since Andrew Carnegie helped create the Simplified Spelling Board to promote a retooling of written English and President Theodore Roosevelt tried to force the government to use simplified spelling in its publications. But advocates aren't giving up.

They even picket the national spelling bee finals, held every year in Washington, costumed as bumble bees and hoisting signs that say "Enuf is enuf but enough is too much" or "I'm thru with through."

Thae sae th bee selebraets th ability of a fue stoodents to master a dificult sistem that stumps meny utherz hoo cuud do just as wel if speling were simpler.

"It's a very difficult thing to get something accepted like this," says Alan Mole, president of the American Literacy Council, which favors an end to "illogical spelling." The group says English has 42 sounds spelled in a bewildering 400 ways.

Americans doen't aulwaez go for whut's eezy — witnes th faeluer of th metric sistem to cach on. But propoenents of simpler speling noet that a smatering of aulterd spelingz hav maed th leep into evrydae ues.

Doughnut also is donut; colour, honour and labour long ago lost the British "u" and the similarly derived theatre and centre have been replaced by the easier-to-sound-out theater and center.

"The kinds of progress that we're seeing are that someone will spell night 'nite' and someone will spell through 'thru,'" Mole said. "We try to show where these spellings are used and to show dictionary makers that they are used so they will include them as alternate spellings."

"Great changes have been made in the past. Systems can change," a hopeful Mole said.

Lurning English reqierz roet memory rather than lojic, he sed.

In languages with phonetically spelled words, like German or Spanish, children learn to spell in weeks instead of months or years as is sometimes the case with English, Mole said.

But education professor Donald Bear said to simplify spelling would probably make it more difficult because words get meaning from their prefixes, suffixes and roots.

"Students come to understand how meaning is preserved in the way words are spelled," said Bear, director of the E.L. Cord Foundation Center for Learning and Literacy at the University of Nevada, Reno.

Th [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img]ry's larjest teecherz uennyon, wuns a suporter, aulso objects.

Michael Marks, a member of the National Education Association's executive committee, said learning would be disrupted if children had to switch to a different spelling system. "It may be more trouble than it's worth," said Marks, a debate and theater teacher at Hattiesburg High School in Mississippi.

E-mail and text messages are exerting a similar tug on the language, sharing some elements with the simplified spelling movement while differing in other ways. Electronic communications stress shortcuts like "u" more than phonetics. Simplified spelling is not always shorter than regular spelling — sistem instead of system, hoep instead of hope.

Carnegie tried to moov thingz along in 1906 when he helpt establish and fund th speling bord. He aulso uezd simplified speling in his correspondens, and askt enywun hoo reported to him to do the saem.

A filanthropist, he becaem pashunet about th ishoo after speeking with Melvil Dewey, a speling reform activist and Dewey Desimal sistem inventor hoo simplified his furst naem bi droping "le" frum Melville.

Roosevelt tried to get the government to adopt simpler spellings for 300 words but Congress blocked him. He used simple spellings in all White House memos, pressing forward his effort to "make our spelling a little less foolish and fantastic."

The Chicago Tribune aulso got into th act, uezing simpler spelingz in th nuezpaeper for about 40 years, ending in 1975. Plae-riet George Bernard Shaw, hoo roet moest of his mateerial in shorthand, left muny in his wil for th development of a nue English alfabet.

Carnegie, Dewey, Roosevelt and Shaw's work followed attempts by Benjamin Franklin, Daniel Webster and Mark Twain to advance simpler spelling. Twain lobbied The Associated Press at its 1906 annual meeting to "adopt and use our simplified forms and spread them to the ends of the earth." AP declined.

But for aul th hi-proefiel and skolarly eforts, the iedeea of funy-luuking but simpler spelingz didn't captivaet the masez then — or now.

"I think that the average person simply did not see this as a needed change or a necessary change or something that was ... going to change their lives for the better," said Marilyn Cocchiola Holt, manager of the Pennsylvania department of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.

Carnegie, hoo embraest teknolojy, died in 1919, wel befor sel foenz. Had he livd, he probably wuud hav bin pleezd to no that milyonz of peepl send text and instant mesejez evry dae uezing thair oen formz of simplified speling: "Hav a gr8 day!"
    Well, what do you think? I personally think it's a horrible idea. Granted, some of the words can be hard to spell at an early age, and it can get confusing at times, but that's what makes the English language special, at least to me anyway.

So, wuud u suport tis for simpler spelings or do you rather we stick to how it's been all along?

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What the hell? No. Enough people can't even bother to use words with more than four letters, of course not. I'm not supporting illiteracy.

For some words it would be good to just spell them the way they sound I suppose...But not for all of them. I dunno, I wouldn't be totally opposed I guess. As long as Phlegm is changed to Flem I would do the happy dance.

Whoah, my IQ dropped reading that

I cant stand that kind of writing, it requires even more effort to write like that than normally.

Personally, I would rather have the US return to proper english (colour, armour etc)

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

How about parents, you know, read with their kids instead of watching TV? We're losing to countries like Cuba with an over 99% literacy rate.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

That article hurt my face.

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reine
    Seconded. :rolleyes2
    It's bad enough when people do that online, if it goes mainstream, blood will be spilled. I think this quote covers my feelings on the matter-
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabite, GameFAQs.com
    IT HURTS MY EYES!!! AIIEEEE IT'S LIKE A STROBE LIGHT OF STUPIDITY!!!

HAhahahahaha, no. It's already bad enough on the internet.

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

It's pretty sad that "cater to the lowest common denominator" is being promoted as education policy these days. :rolleyes2

I would hate having to learn English again, so no.

Oh dear....that was nauseatingly painful to read and imagining people actually writing like that is terrifyingly horrible. It took me longer to read that sorry excuse for a language than it would coherent English. This is just another way to embrace today's laziness instead of trying to fix it so people (namely our youth it would seem) aren't the blithering ignoramuses they seem to be.

English isn't that terribly difficult to learn and use efficiently, I don't see why it should be altered into that incoherent babbling. We shouldn't be adapting to this intellectual inadequacy that plagues us, we should be fixing it, parents should read to their children at night like my parents read to me, they should read books in general, they should raise school standards, bring back discipline for cripe's sake.

I can't even imagine what the net will become, the masses seem to type idiotically enough, what horrible bastardization of language will people pull out of their bums next? Besides, I think trying to translate to this monument of ignorance and embarrassment would be too rough of a transition anyhow.

So my decision is: for the love of all that is good and holy in this world, please let this transition of any kind never go through, which I am sure it won't. I'd also like to note that made my eyes nearly set themselves ablaze to distract themselves from the pure idiocy they had been forced to gaze apon and it nearly made my IQ spiral down, decreasing so rapidly and so far down it would find itself fallen into a realm of nonexistence.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I favor making schools worth going to so that children don't struggle as much with the complexities of spelling. Because, you know, they're being taught WELL.

Quote Originally Posted by Reine

I cant stand that kind of writing, it requires even more effort to write like that than normally.

Personally, I would rather have the US return to proper english (colour, armour etc)
    QFT
    That article was like the worst n00b speak I've ever seen.
    "Reality is that which,
    when you stop believing in it,
    doesn't go away".
    Philip K. Dick

Blog Entries

No more making fun of AOL speak

there was a picture here

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I don't think any language that has been going on for quite a long time should be simplified, it just makes the language less rich and removes some of its beauty. It also takes a long time to get used to writing with the new spelling way and reading it (at least to me, it's harder to read simplified English than normal English). Finally, it annoys me how some people online try to make their spelling as simplified as possible. "ill tyep haueva i liek 2 eaz lish ftw!" It also happens in Finnish, which is really stupid.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi