Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $600 PS3

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    Games will be license key based, meaning you can only play a game on one PS3. If your PS3 dies, you can't play your games on your replacement PS3.

Game and video stores will not be allowed to rent PS3 games to customers or sell pre-owned games (mainly this ties in with the first rumor).
    Debunked. At length.
    The PS3 will not be a standard configuration, meaning there will be future models with superior hardware. Meaning early adopters will get REALLY screwed when the new PS3-GX1 or whatever comes out and all of a sudden they can't play any new games unless they shell out another $600. (This is something I actually read in an interview with Ken Kutaragi, but I seriously hope it's untrue)
    This is true, more or less. Kutaragi said that we should think of the PS3 as a kind of personal computer, where there will be many different models with various configurations. I'll be surprised if Sony actually goes through with this, but right now there appears to be no end to their arrogance.
    Sony claims a LOT of stupid things that never turn out to be true. All console manufacturers do this. Sony also claimed that the PS2 would become the center of everyone's life, and that the Emotion Engine (which is really just the PS2's CPU) would change how we all think about reality and entertainment. I remember hearing lofty claims that the PS2 would stay in touch with you all the time via phone calls and e-mail, managing your entire life. I remember hearing that we would come to think of the PS2 not as a game system, but as a standard device like an automobile, or a TV.
    Don't forget the ultimate in game PR hyperbole, stated by Peter Moore before the release of the Xbox 360: "Next generation games will combine unprecedented audio and visual experiences to create worlds that are beyond real and they'll deliver storylines and gameplay so compelling that it will feel like living a lucid dream. The result is a state where you achieve the perfect mind-body equilibrium as you forget your physical surroundings and you become completely immersed in the game itself; this controller becomes an extension of your body, it becomes the gateway to the Zen of gaming."
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny
    Yeah, plus I highly doubt they'll wait 20 years before making another game system. They also make a sytem when other competition comes out.
    Their claims of twenty-year longevity are not meant to imply that they'll wait twenty years before they make another console; it just means they intend to continue to support the PS3 even after the PS4 (or whatever) comes out. Similarly, they've also said that they plan to support the PS2 for another five years.

This kind of thing isn't unprecedented. The SNES came out in 1990, but the big companies still developed games for the NES right up through 1994.

Its expensive, and I dont want to be spending Ł425 on a console, but I have the money to buy one so I will buy one at launch. I dont think the system will be a waste of my money, everybody admits they are going to buy one eventually. Usually its because they want FFXIII or MGS4, but the system hasnt even been released, the line-up will get better and when people do buy a PS3, they probably buy heaps of software as well, thus Sony become dominent. I wont be one of those people though, I want a Wii and 360 so bad ( 360 only because of Bioshock ), so I will go easy on buying PS3 games. Ill probably keep with Tekken 6 for a while.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    Their claims of twenty-year longevity are not meant to imply that they'll wait twenty years before they make another console; it just means they intend to continue to support the PS3 even after the PS4 (or whatever) comes out. Similarly, they've also said that they plan to support the PS2 for another five years.
    I doubt that highly. When (if) they release PS4 they will soley be promoting PS4 and not care enough to want to promote PS3 anymore. For the simple reason that Sony wants our money and they want it now. They want to release "the next big thing" so people will put their old Playstations in the closet and buy a new one that's pretty much the same thing, but with different games.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny
    I doubt that highly. When (if) they release PS4 they will soley be promoting PS4 and not care enough to want to promote PS3 anymore. For the simple reason that Sony wants our money and they want it now. They want to release "the next big thing" so people will put their old Playstations in the closet and buy a new one that's pretty much the same thing, but with different games.
    There's plenty of money to be made in supporting recently outclassed consoles. There are numerous people who absolutely will not buy a new console but still want to buy new games.

The PS3 will cost $1200 here. Go figure

I aint getting one, thats for sure.

Nor a 360. Too expensive. With the Wii at $400, Im getting that though

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is it just me or are the console execs this generation around more full of themselves than usual? I just wish they would shut the hell up and let us play the games. I don't need to be told that $600 will deliver true next gen gameplay. Release the damned console and I'll figure it out on my own. Although I have got to admit, Reggie is less full of bull than Moore and Hirai.

I'm just bummed because I can't continue my hobby of playing games. Well I have the 360 and I will get the Wii but $600 is too much for someone supporting a wife and kid. I just can't justify that to my wife just to play games.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Sony finally has gone nuts..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

"The future" seems to be a one-way road to multi-function, but I don't want my game console to brush my teeth for me! I just want it to play games (though the ability to play DVD's isn't bad since it's my only method of playing them). I don't even spend the fifty or so US dollars on new games...I'm content to wait for six months/a year to get them for less than half that. The only thing I might be missing out on is being able to talk about "how cool the new blah, blah, blah is" with everyone else, but that doesn't really bother me. I suppose it will be 2009 before I get a PS3.

One other thing: a couple people have mentioned that "sony wants to release new systems with their competitors because they are 'scared' " and that "sony wants your money now!"

I hope you guys don't believe that this is exclusive to sony...it's a fact for all game system developers, not to mention the nature of business.

That Peter Moore quote is hilarious....I suppose some people actually buy that crap?

Brian: "If I remember correctly, this is the Physics Department."
    Chris: "That would explain all the gravity."

None of the 7th Gen. consoles have roused my interest thus far, but I’ve never bought a console ever remotely close to the release date anyway. The XBOX360 doesn’t interest me because of the games, the PS3 doesn’t interest me because it’s ludicrously expensive and the Wii doesn’t interest me because God forbid I’m not going to buy a console just because it’s cheap.

Xenosaga III, FFV:A,FFVI:A,FFIII,FFXII and Zelda: Twilight Princess will all be coming out soon. I think that will do me for a few years.

A 20GB PS3 is only $100 more than a P360. $100 cant be that much of a problem. Who remembers the iPod, the price seemed insane for just an MP3 player, yet it was hugely successful....

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

This is why I stick almost exclusively with PC gaming. I only got around to getting a PSX about six years after it came out, and a PS2 a year ago.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

PC gaming is much more expensive in the long run though. That is if you want to keep up with the latest games.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko
    PC gaming is much more expensive in the long run though. That is if you want to keep up with the latest games.
    I've had my system for about two years now, and it runs both Half Life 2 and Quake 4 just fine N.B. My system was about three hundred quid all in all, not including repairs.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

the price will drop, so no worries.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?