Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $600 PS3

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

Firmware technically lasts until the EEPROM/Flash onto which it is written wears out.

Sony is treading on a very fine line. One one side of things they could do exceptionally well in the console market with the PS3; on the other side, they could lose heavily.

I'm buying it with the warranty

Can't wait to show off!

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver
    I'm doing my best to consider that the Ps3 is cheap compared to what's in it, and to consider it a PC, but it isn't really helping. I'll buy one eventually anyway if it has a huge library as the Playstation 2 does. But I'm more excited for games coming out this generation than anything in the next.

I read a game analyst's take on it on Gamespot once, and she said something to the extent of "Sony is saying their system is the most powerful and has the most features, so it's the best and worth the money. But that's like saying a Porsche performs better than your car so you should go buy one. That doesn't change the fact you can't afford it." I think that's pretty true...The Ps3 will probably have lots of nice features...but in the end, the Wii will cost less and give me pretty much the same thing: games.

The whole Blu-Ray thing just confuses me. Sony is acting like if I don't have Blu-Ray I'll wither away and die, and I could care less about it.
    This is how I feel. Sony is tooting it's horn on how it's a good deal for $600 but I'm trying to support a wife and kid and regardless of how much of a bargain it is I jsut don't have $600. My wife is a Nintendo freak(her and her damn Animal Crossing ) so I will be getting her the Wii.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKnight
    Can't wait to show off!
    I won't be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by roto13-ness
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathKnight
    Can't wait to show off!
    I won't be impressed.
    oh man!....see I knew that would happen.

Oh! oh! but I'm getting a Wii too!!!! NOW I can show off

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm not spending $600 on a game system. With that I could buy a Game Cube with every single game I've ever wanted to play for it, and have money to spare. It seems as though Sony is pricing themselves out of the market, but this is their realm so I guess they know what they're doing.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

They're taking advantage of the poor little DeathKnights of the world who don't seem to know any better.

I know I'll be getting a PS3, but certainly not right off. They'll go down in price, as people have already said, and I'll be able to afford it then.

no matter how important something might be (ie. a giant meteor is in the sky and threatening the planet) you can always just stop in at the Golden Saucer and gamble on some dodos running around a track.
    --SmileyBoss(GameFAQs)

Personally, the biggest problem for me about the Blu-Ray, was that not many things use the Blu-Ray these days. CDs are still being used although slowly ever so little being replaced by DVD. However thats not the standard yet, no one is gonna put a Blu-Ray or even an HD-DVD in their computers for a long time, so they definetly arent the standard. The reason why no one was bothered too much by PS2 being DVD IMO was that it was that time for DVDs to emerge, but for me, i barely even heard of the Blu-Ray or HD-DVD myself as a standard commodity for computers...much less new movies.

That and what can you fit 50Gigs in? So far the MMORPG i play(FFXI) only fits ~7Gigs....why am i paying for something more when its not even going to be used for its full potential?

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I came across this site today (through Kotaku) that seems to claim that the PS3 is cheaper than an iPod, or a PSP, or DS.
    http://www.hiroiro.com/entry/63.html
    Yeah, it's Japanese. Take a look at the chart there. It shows how much each system costs in yen...

...per kilogram.
    The PS3 is 12,000 yen per kilogram, the X360 is 11,000 yen/kg. The PSP is a massive 71,000 yen/kg, and the DSlite is even *more* expensive at 77,000 yen/kg. The 60GB iPod video cashes in at 300,000 yen/kg.
    Good thing the DS/PSP/iPod don't actually *weigh* a kilo. Gadzooks.

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix
    I came across this site today (through Kotaku) that seems to claim that the PS3 is cheaper than an iPod, or a PSP, or DS.
    http://www.hiroiro.com/entry/63.html
    Yeah, it's Japanese. Take a look at the chart there. It shows how much each system costs in yen...

...per kilogram.
    The PS3 is 12,000 yen per kilogram, the X360 is 11,000 yen/kg. The PSP is a massive 71,000 yen/kg, and the DSlite is even *more* expensive at 77,000 yen/kg. The 60GB iPod video cashes in at 300,000 yen/kg.
    Good thing the DS/PSP/iPod don't actually *weigh* a kilo. Gadzooks.

OK, so apparently the PS3 is really forking heavy!!

Brian: "If I remember correctly, this is the Physics Department."
    Chris: "That would explain all the gravity."

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Or the PSP and iPod stupidly overpriced.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Here in Aus the PS2 was released at $749. (http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/soa/All...0106969,00.htm)

The PS3 20GB is supposed to be $850 and the 60GB is supposed to be $999. I will be buying a 60GB PS3 but only when the price has gone to $500-550.

The price will go down. It always has. Its just a waiting game. I can handle 6-12 months of not having a PS3. Only the hardcores will buy it at launch.

"PlayStation already has a huge loyalty base in Australia with 1.5 million in Australian homes. However, sales of the original console did not pick up until the price dropped from its launch price of AU$699 to AU$299. "

EDIT: Thanks for that The Shoeless Hobo
    Last edited by Malboro_Menace; 07-13-2006 at 04:29 AM.

Hide your wallet The Shoeless Hobo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malboro_Menace
    Here in Aus the PS2 was released at $749. (http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/soa/All...0106969,00.htm)

The PS3 20GB is supposed to be $650 and the 60GB is supposed to be $850. I will be buying a 60GB PS3 but only when the price has gone to $500-550.
    In Australia, it's actually going to cost $999 for the 60gb PS3 and $849 for the 20gb. See here: Games Wizards Australia.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

You will be waiting a long....long time for it to drop under $600 Aus. Dollars. Definitely not 12 months.

I have more than enough right now in terms of games to tide me over for a long time. Unfortunately for me, I still get new games all the time. Either way, I have enough--between new games for my DS, PS2, 360 and eventually Wii--to tide me over until the games I want for PS3 come out.