Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: $600 PS3

Default $600 PS3

I have been playing games for almost 30 years now. Ever since the 80's I have tried to get every system that came out because I love gaming so much. But I'm afraid i'm gonna have to pass on the PS3. There is just no way I can afford $600. and that's before taxes and no games.
    Sony is saying it's a deal because it has blue ray but the fact still stands I can't afford $600. I'm hoping in a couple of years the price will come down.

Sony claims the PS3's firmware will last 20 years.

I call bull[img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img]s.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Oh I'm hoping that too. I'm not one of these rabid "OMG BOYCOTT TEH SONAY!" fanboys, but the way they've been acting lately is just ridiculous. I take consolation in the fact that it's totally biting them in the rear (the controversy over the racist PSP ad, the success of the DS, being considered the joke of E3 '06), but I figure every console has something to offer. ...Well, maybe not the game.com, but you know what I mean. In that regard, I want a PS3. However, I am NOT willing to pay $600 for something that will be outmoded in 5 years, or $500 for something that will be considered outmoded before that. I've also heard other rumors which are very disturbing. I don't know how true any of them are (they all sound like total financial suicide, and even though Sony is good for that (Betamax, MiniDisc, UMD movies...), I don't think they're THAT stupid), but I've heard all of the following:

Games will be license key based, meaning you can only play a game on one PS3. If your PS3 dies, you can't play your games on your replacement PS3.

Game and video stores will not be allowed to rent PS3 games to customers or sell pre-owned games (mainly this ties in with the first rumor).

The PS3 will not be a standard configuration, meaning there will be future models with superior hardware. Meaning early adopters will get REALLY screwed when the new PS3-GX1 or whatever comes out and all of a sudden they can't play any new games unless they shell out another $600. (This is something I actually read in an interview with Ken Kutaragi, but I seriously hope it's untrue)

Again, I still want a PS3 eventually, but Sony's done a lot to turn me off to it. When I prefer a Microsoft product to the competition, you know things are getting scary.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I only buy gaming system I know aren't a waste to buy ( i.e. Nintendo 64, Gamecube, etc.) and something is telling me that PS3 will be a complete waste like them. Sony is so full of it saying it will last 20 years when they're systems usually don't last for more than 5 years. The only reason I have interest in buying it is, because FF13 and MGS4 is going to be on it. I'll probably just wait it out till the price goes down (like fantasyjunkie) before I waste $600.

I doubt the final PS3 release will force you to register your games to play one PS3 only. I mean how is it possible to write that to a disc?

Oh man.. I want PS3 solely for FF13. But then, hold on a second, when is PS3 coming out if FF13 is coming out Halloween in NA? The price is way too high, but hopefully my brother will buy it. He's already bought PS, PS2 and the portable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny
    I only buy gaming system I know aren't a waste to buy ( i.e. Nintendo 64,
    Sorry I just find that kind of ironic...

Don't worry so much about the "20 year" boast. Sony claims a LOT of stupid things that never turn out to be true. All console manufacturers do this. Sony also claimed that the PS2 would become the center of everyone's life, and that the Emotion Engine (which is really just the PS2's CPU) would change how we all think about reality and entertainment. I remember hearing lofty claims that the PS2 would stay in touch with you all the time via phone calls and e-mail, managing your entire life. I remember hearing that we would come to think of the PS2 not as a game system, but as a standard device like an automobile, or a TV. 5 years later, it's just another game system. Sure it also has the ability to play CDs, DVDs, and go on the internet, but it's nothing revolutionary. Sony's big claims about the PS3 sound just as stupid now as the PS2's big claims sounded in 2000, I'm really not expecting it to be anything more than a game console.

i might not get one at all at that price, but I have entered two competitions to win a free one. I'll think I'll by a wii wii from somebody because it's been years since I played a mario game or a Zelda game, too bad FFXIII can't be on my wii wii, I want to play with my wii wii.

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    Games will be license key based, meaning you can only play a game on one PS3. If your PS3 dies, you can't play your games on your replacement PS3.
    Combine that with Sony's tradition of really [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img]ty hardware, and it's even scarier.

I'd also like someone to explain to me how the Nintendo 64 and Game Cube were a "waste to buy".

Well the N64 had some good potential, but there was a real lack of 3rd party interest. Games were a lot more expensive than the competition's, so people weren't as likely to buy as many. Even Nintendo's highly rated 1st party titles became few and far between. It's not like the system had nothing going for it, it just didn't have enough to stay afloat, and fell into the deadly spiral of lack of developer interest leading to lack of consumer interest, leading to lack of developer interest.

The Gamecube had a pretty bad launch, and it looked like it was going to be the N64 all over again, but after a few good 1st and 2nd party titles, it picked up some slack. Granted it never came close to touching the PS2, but at the end of the current generation, all 3 consoles have very real strengths of their own.

Just about any console or handheld will have enough good titles to justify your purchase though. Justifying $600 is difficult, but I'm sure there's a lot of people who feel it's worth it. I mean hey, it's got two Final Fantasy titles announced for it already! Surely that will be appreciated on this board.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

For one sony denied and out that down the drain ages ago, I'm only getting a PS3 because of the FF games and DMC but til then I'm going for an XB 360. try going for the other model of the PS3 the 20GB, that's $500 USD, lucky for you guys because it aint coming over here. Only the big 60GB model. Most of the games due out are going to be on all 3 consoles for 1, so I'm going for the 360.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Well I didn't says they were a waste, but Gamecube was the system that got the least attention I mean GTA was for only PS2 and XBOX they didn't consider gamecube same goes for a lot of games, but I guess you're playing them for the nintendo character games like Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, F-Zero, Zelda and Metroid.
    You'll save money on batteries because the system's controllers are rechargable, and the 6oB is the only one for anybody, you lose too much in the 20B whatever GB means no one knows.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny
    I only buy gaming system I know aren't a waste to buy ( i.e. Nintendo 64,
    Sorry I just find that kind of ironic...
    If you thought I meant that those system in the parenthesis aren't a waste I actually meant the exact opposite.

Don't worry so much about the "20 year" boast. Sony claims a LOT of stupid things that never turn out to be true. All console manufacturers do this. Sony also claimed that the PS2 would become the center of everyone's life, and that the Emotion Engine (which is really just the PS2's CPU) would change how we all think about reality and entertainment. I remember hearing lofty claims that the PS2 would stay in touch with you all the time via phone calls and e-mail, managing your entire life. I remember hearing that we would come to think of the PS2 not as a game system, but as a standard device like an automobile, or a TV. 5 years later, it's just another game system. Sure it also has the ability to play CDs, DVDs, and go on the internet, but it's nothing revolutionary. Sony's big claims about the PS3 sound just as stupid now as the PS2's big claims sounded in 2000, I'm really not expecting it to be anything more than a game console.
    Yeah, plus I highly doubt they'll wait 20 years before making another game system. They also make a sytem when other competition comes out. They seem to feel threatened very easily. Frankly, I think the new Nintendo system that is said to be very cheap (possibly only $100) looks more interesting than PS3 does.

Wii does sound better but for only $100 when it was $50 when gamecube came out, nah that's impossible, pS3 wuill be the last console how can they improve other than by amaking the graphics so real that it olooks like you're watching TV when that's not any fun, the PS3 graphics is good enough.
    And why can't it last 20 years I still have my Nes and Atari and it's almost been 20 years since they came out and they still work fine.

GTAIII does not make or break a system. There's a lot of multiplatform games, and very few exclude the GC. Just look at big selling titles like the new Tomb Raider game, which is available for every console under the sun. The Tony Hawk series is another big seller, and I specifically bought that for my Gamecube since the graphics were a notch better. Then you have exclusive titles like the Resident Evil remake, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Donkey Kong's Jungle Beat (you really can't deny the genius of this game), Fire Emblem, and Eternal Darkness. You also have titles which start out as exclusive and only move on to other consoles after selling a bajillion copies like Viewtiful Joe and Resident Evil 4. The Gamecube definitely has a lot more going for it than its first party games, though those alone make a good justification for buying the system.