Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ZOMFG! CLICK ME, PLEASE!!! (Ultima Shadow's SO3 challenge)

not that drug dealer CelestialStarDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corncracker View Post
    It's time's like this I wish I had an Idea of what your talking about.
    its the video game nerd language.it takes time to understand.

Catapultam habeo.Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis,ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Blog Entries

I FINALLY defeated the Chimera! I hadn't played for nearly a month, but yesterday I decided to seriously try to beat that annoying thing. I tried out a couple of methods with different characters and came to the conclusion that Nel and Ice Daggers would be the safest method.

Even though it would be about 10 times as time-consuming as my tactic with Fayth's Side Kick + Air Raid, it would also be much safer.

So here's what I did:

I made sure Nel had 100 fury, waited for the chimera to perform its standard long-range strong move, and ran out of the way as soon as it did. Then, I simply used a singel weak Ice Daggers. I only used weak ones in order to prevent too much of my HP from being used, so that I could recover large enough amounts of HP trough Standby Healing. I also had the Life Saver equiped. Anyways... as soon as I had used Ice Daggers, I just stood still and waited. If the Chimera would go for a strong attack, I'd run out of the way and do another Ice Daggers. If it went for a weak attack, I'd just stun it with AAA and then use Ice Daggers from a safe distance.

This battle probably took me nearly an hour (it felt like almost 2 hours). >_<

Oh well, now I can finally keep going.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, hopefully Battlecopter won't be too much of a pain with his weakness to water. You can use quite a few different characters to put him out of his misery.

But I see difficulty in the Chimera Hawks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    But I see difficulty in the Chimera Hawks.
    Yeah, those scare me.

The Stone Golem was a pushover, as expected, even though the battle took a pretty darn long time. I used Nel with Flying Guillotine. When I was about halfway into the battle, I realised that it would probably have taken much less time if I had used Whirlwind instead. xD
    But atleast my Flying Guillotines leveled up quite a bit.

In any case, I returned to Gemity to fight in single mode at the arena and get a few Magical Berries. However... so far, I'm only able to win with Fayth, Nel and Maria. So I've only managed to get 3 Magical Berries so far, as you can only get 1 for each character. Oh well, hopefully 3 more will be enough. I think I've got like 8 total or something like that, so I should be fine I guess. I just don't want to be completely out of healing items when facing Luther. xD

Blog Entries

I went trough Firewall and fought the Battlecopter, which was a whole lot easier than I had expected. It was both easy and quick. All I had to do was the following:

1) Use Ice Blade with Fayth.
    2) Let fury go to max while waiting for the Battlecopter to get into attack-range.
    3) Run under the Battlecopter, avoiding its attacks, and use a Standard Strong anti-air (the backflip) attack.
    4) Get out of range and let fury go to max.
    5) Repeat all the above steps until Battlecopter dies (only do step 1 whenever you need a new Ice Blade).

Now it's not much left to do until I get to Luther, even though I might get stuck on the Chimera Hawks if I'm unlucky. Oh well.

Next up's Pseudo Blair.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ooh, good luck Shadow! You're almost there.

I miss kinje longaway :[ Eiko Guy's Avatar

Shadow chica the easiest way would have been to use a hundred fury on his tail. The chimera gave me trouble to. That is until I figured that part out. I would let him hit me continously with his tail and beat him up while he was stunned.

Fat kids are harder to Kidnap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw starwind View Post
    Shadow chica the easiest way would have been to use a hundred fury on his tail. The chimera gave me trouble to. That is until I figured that part out. I would let him hit me continously with his tail and beat him up while he was stunned.
    Well, sometimes when I waited for it to perform an attack, it actually did hit me with the tail and get stunned. But it's not too much different from having it hit me with another weak move.

Anyways... Pseudo Blair's history. I figured that because of Pseudo Blair's Death Howl, the only character I could beat her with was Fayth. This is because Death Howl executes too fast for any other character to get out of range in time. And getting hit by Death Howl= instant kill. And even with Fayth, I couldn't be 100% sure to get out of range in time, so Death Howl was a big problem until I figured out I could survive it by using the invincibility frames of Side Kick against it. So whenever Pseudo Blair would use Death Howl, I'd just use Side Kick and then cancel the Side Kick into Air Raid.

The first part of the battle was really easy. I'd just use Side Kick, canceled into Air Raid (around 75% of the times knocking Blair down) and if Bloair wouldn't get knocked down, I'd just cancel the Air Raid into another Side Kick and then another Air Raid. When Blair's knocked down, I just stand still and gather fury. Since Blair would always go for a weak attack after getting knocked down by Air Raid, I could just stun her and cancel another Side Kick into Air Raid. As for healing, I'd just run around until Blair would use the spell "Crush" in which case I'd run out of the way and use the healing spell. Since Blair can't move until the end of the crush animation, I'd get enough time to heal without getting interrupted.

Around halfway trough the battle, Blair would start using Death Howl and Eddy of Light, which makes things a bit harder. However, like I mentioned above, I eventually found a way to avoid Death Howl. And Eddy of Light is all about AAA in time. During the last part of the battle I also had to use 2 healing items since Blair stopped using spells.

Edit:

I beat both the Death Monsters and that big, slow demon (its name escapes me) with Nel. The Chimera Hawks are giving me even more trouble than expected though.

Against the Death Monsters I simply used Whirlwind. I could even use whirlwind as a shield for when I needed to heal myself (healing's only required because of battleskill usage, though, as getting hit by a singel attack usually is enough to kill me). I simply just activated a strong Whirlwind and used the healing spell. They would usually just run into the whirlwind and get knocked down or stunlocked long enough for me to escape. Even though they started using new attacks as they ran lower on HP, the only move that ever even killed me once was their "Charge". Whirlwind, whirlwind and whirlwind. That's all this battle really was about.

As for the demon-dude, he took a pretty long time to beat down, but didn't really pose much of a threat. Flying Guillotine and homing AAA did the work. I'd just run away from his "Explosion" spells and use Flying Guillotine, AAA stun his weak attacks and use Flying Guillotine and get out of the way whenever he'd go for a strong attack, and then I'd use Flying Guillotine! Once he started to use "Killer Sphere", I'd change the AAA to "Homing" and let it hit him for over 9,000 dammage. Healing wasn't a problem at all since he's so slow.

As for those Chimera Hawks... I have absolutely no idea how the heck I'm supposed to survive Heat Impact. I'm using Fayth for this battle, and I can usually do well until one of them starts using Heat Impact. Once that happens, I'm screwed. >_< Seriously... strong moves are not supposed to be that fast! xD

Quote Originally Posted by Myself
    Must be under level 100 when facing Luther. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it at level 70-80.
    I also just realised that my highest leveled character is currently 14-24 levels lower than I had "hoped" to be when reaching Luther. Even though Fayth will probably level up after the battle with the Chimera Hawks, I highly doubt he'll go from his current level, which is level 56, to anywhere near level 70-80. So... atleast I've managed to keep my levels a lot lower than expected. xD
    Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 03-13-2007 at 07:56 PM.

I take it the invincibility frame from Side Kick doesn't work here. If its at all possible to negate that attack, I'd look for that way. Or perhaps figure out a patern and predict when it shall come up.

Only other suggestion I have is Gorilla tactics, hit fast and move away.

Blog Entries

Actually, it IS possible to use the invincibility frame from Side Kick. The problem, however, is that Heat Impact executes so quickly that it's extremely hard to do the Side Kick in time. In fact, the only way I've found that guarantees that I manage to pull off a Side Kick in time to avoid a Heat Impact is to activate the Side Kick right BEFORE the Heat Impact is used (which means I'll have to do the Side Kick before I know if they're really going for a Heat Impact or not).

Luckily, they only start using Heat Impact once their HP is down at around 50%, and then when they're at around 25%, they'll stop using it. The problem is that I can't scan them (or, well... I CAN, but I can't see their HP and MP when I do so it's kinda useless), so I won't know when their HP is down at 50% until they start using Heat Impact. And I usually die on the first Heat Impact because of this. Another problem is that, since there are 3 Chimera Hawks, I have to keep track on which one of them I'm dammaging the most unless I want more than one of them to go into the "Heat Impact phase" at a time (which usually is a bad idea). So the best idea would probably be to try to pick them off one by one.

Oh well...

Edit: O-M-F-G!!! I finally managed to beat them! I got hit by 2 Heat Impacts, but survived on fury both times. I used 1 of my Magical Berries, 1 Perfect Berry and a few Ripe Berries for healing as I didn't want to take any risks using the healing spell instead.

The battle kinda went like this: I wait with 100% fury until all 3 Chimera Hawks starts using their standard strong attacks or gets AAA stunned. Then, I run away a bit and use a standard long-range strong attack with Fayth (with "Increased HP Dammage") smacking them into the air and then I follow up with a backflip etc. I repeat this until 2 of them starts using Blizzard Attack. When 2 of them are in the Blizzard Attack phase, I do pretty much the same as before except I keep track on the two who are using Blizzard Attack. I make sure I only smack those 2 around so that the 3th one hasn't even gone into the Blizzard Attack phase yet. After a few hits, I start using Side Kick whenever a Chimera Hawk approaches, and not much later comes the first Heat Impact, which I actually manage to avoid thanks to Side Kick. I chain a few(or actually a whole lot) Side Kicks on the Chimera Hawk (and another of them who tried to hit me with a standard weak, but missed, also gets trapped in the chain). But once my fury gets so low that I can't use more Side Kicks, I get hit by an Heat Impact from another Chimera Hawk... BUT I manage to survive on fury. I then run as far away from the 3 Chimera Hawks as possible and use a Magical Berry. I do the Side Kick thing again and escapes, avoiding all attacks. I then use another Ripe Berry to make sure my HP's maxed. The Chimera Hawk who hadn't gone into the Heat Impact phase yet starts using Blizzard Attack and on my 3th Side Kick approach, I'm hit by a standard weak while escaping (a standard weak does around 9000 dammage and Fayth's max is around 13000 at the moment. Even though my HP wasn't at max, I survived with around 1000 HP left). Luckily, none of the other 2 manages to follow up while I'm locked in place by the first attack, and I can escape and heal with a Perfect Berry. The next approach goes smoothly and one of the Chimera Hawks stops using Heat Impact and uses Wing Cutter (or whatever it's called) instead. While escaping from a Wing Cutter, I'm hit by another Heat Impact but survives on fury once again (that's just pure luck). I heal with a Ripe Berry, and after the next Side-Kick approach, the other one who was in the Heat Impact phase goes into the Wing Cutter phase instead. As none of the Chimera Hawks had any fast strong attack to worry about anymore, I'd just wait for them to come and then I'd act depending on the Situation. Usually, I could get the Blizzard-Attacking one to just use its extremely strong standard attack while the others would use Wing Cutter. I'd just escape, heal when necessary or long-range strong attack them when given a good opportunity.
    After a couple of mins, the first Chimera Hawk went down. A while later, the other one using Wing Cutter went down as well. After that, I'd just Side Kick as soon as the last Chimera Hawk would approach. It went into Heat Impact phase after the first Side-Kick chain, but I managed to avoid every singel one with the Side Kick approach. As soon as it went into the Wing Cutter phase, everything became pice of cake. All I had to do was avoid the Wing Cutters and do a couple of Long-Range strong attacks on it. Or if it would go for a weak attack, I'd stun and Side-Kick chain it.

This was, hands down, the worst battle so far. The last 2 days I spent around 5 hours on this battle alone. And if it wasn't because I survived on fury twice, I'd probably still be stuck on it. >_<

Now, all that's left is Luther! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 03-15-2007 at 03:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Ok, it would be really great if someone could tell me exactly how to dodge Insanity Prelude. Seriously. >_<

On my 2 earlier non-challenge savefiles I never even payed much attention to the attack. Now, however, I'll need to find a way that guarantees that I'll dodge it completely. And don't forget that I'm playing the PAL version, if that matters.

Luther's first form is just pathetic. Especially when compared to around 90% of all the other bosses in this challenge. And while the second form is a lot tougher, it's not too bad either EXCEPT for the fact that Insanity Prelude always kills me. I know there's supposed to be some safe spots somewhere, but it seems like I haven't managed to find any of them as I keep dying each time I get to the point where Luther starts using Insanity Prelude. It's so annoying, as it usually takes over 40 mins to reach the point where he starts using Insanity Prelude. >_<

Probably just have to find the safe spots. Trial and error is your friend.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You need to stand in between the two bloody pillar things, on any of the 'flaps' on the edges of the battlefield. However, I'm not completely sure if this is different in the PAL version or not. I remember hearing that you can stand right near Luther and dodge it on the PAL version., but I don't know if that has any credibility or not.

For a video explanation, download and watch this:

http://files.filefront.com/DodgeInsa.../fileinfo.html

At any rate, congratulations on beating the Chimera Hawks! You're doing so great, Shads! I know you can beat Luther easily once you figure out how to dodge Insanity Prelude.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    You need to stand in between the two bloody pillar things, on any of the 'flaps' on the edges of the battlefield. However, I'm not completely sure if this is different in the PAL version or not. I remember hearing that you can stand right near Luther and dodge it on the PAL version., but I don't know if that has any credibility or not.

For a video explanation, download and watch this:

http://files.filefront.com/DodgeInsa.../fileinfo.html

At any rate, congratulations on beating the Chimera Hawks! You're doing so great, Shads! I know you can beat Luther easily once you figure out how to dodge Insanity Prelude.
    Thanks. I tried standing in that very place, but one of those purple fireball-things exploded close enough to still dammage and kill me. I'll soon try out the thing about standing next to him, though.

Blog Entries

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Luther has been defeated and the universe has been saved! I'm now done with this challenge, as I won't try the Maze of Tribulations and Sphere 211 for quite a while. I'll probably do so eventually, though. xD

I got the Fayth alone ending, so if I'm going to fight Dark Fayth, his teammate is going to be Dark Luther. xD

Anyways... for the first battle, I simply used Side Kick to avoid any and all of his attacks (except Laser Beam). Then, I'd chain it into an Air Raid, which would almost always knock him down. Even though it was a little risky method at times, the Air Raid almost never failed to knock him down and it was by far the fastest method to get rid of Luther's first form. Once Luther had been knocked down, I'd just stand still and wait. He'd just about always go for a weak attack, in which case I'd AAA him for a whole lots of dammage with the Multi-Homing AAA (each hit would do around 4000-5000 dammage). I'd then hit him once, Side Kick, and then do another Air Raid. I'd just repeat this process until I'd run low on HP, in which case I'd just run around until he'd use Laser Beam. Since Laser beam is so slow, I could just easily avoid it and then have enough time left to heal without having to worry about Luther interrupting. I could never really bother to master Standby Healing, so being able to use the Healing spell instead is awesome.

As for the second battle, I'd be more careful. Chaining Side Kick into Air Raid would be too risky in this battle, so I just Side Kick'd to avoid attacks and then ran away. AAA alone was the key to victory in this battle. All his special weak attacks would return around 10,000-15,000 dammage with each hit from the Multi-Homing AAA. Most of the time, I'd just run up to him and see what he would do. If he would use a weak move, I'd AAA it. If he'd use a strong move, I'd Side Kick to avoid it. And if he'd use Laser Beams, I'd either heal, if needed, or run up to him and use an Air Raid. Since Laser Beam is so slow, I could always escape in time even if Air Raid would fail to knock down. And after knocking him down with Air Raid, Luther's next move would just about always be a weak move which I'd just AAA.

Whenever Luther would use Perfect Symetry, I'd just run as far away as possible and avoid the attack. Even though it was pretty time-consuming, this battle really wasn't much of a problem, until Luther started to use Insanity Prelude. Insanity Prelude killed me almost every time. I tried standing in the exactly same place as shown the video Zeromus_X linked to. However... it would seem like the PAL version's Insanity prelude works a bit differently, and I died every time. But when I tried to stand just a little bit from the thing in the center of the stage, I actually managed to avoid getting hit. I figured out that standing too close will get you killed, but as long as I kept small distance from the center, I'd be able to survive. Once I figured out exactly where to stand, I managed to safetly avoid Insanity Prelude each time, allowing me to finally defeat Luther!

So... it would seem that what you had heared about the PAL version was correct after all, Zeromus_X. Atleast it worked for me. Seriously, thanks a lot for all the information Zeromus_X. If I hadn't found a way to avoid Insanity Prelude, I'd have gone insane. xD

...And finally, I'd like to mention that this is BY FAR the ABSOLUTELY HARDEST CHALLENGE THAT I HAVE EVER ATTEMPTED! Especially the Chimera Hawks had me almost throwing the controller out of the window several times. xD

The game was finished with Fayth on level 60.

Edit:

After finishing the game, I loaded my old non-challenge savefile where I'm in Sphere 211 with a level 210-220 party and ultimate weapons for each character. It felt strange to enter a battle that was over before it even started, with me on the winning side, for once. I doubt Energy Burst would be all that effective in my challenge, though, if I even ever manage to get to Sphere 211. xD

Well, atleast the "no IC" rule won't apply anymore according to my challenge rules, though I have decided that the only kinds of IC I'll be allowed to use are Synthesis, Forge and Alchemy (for Synthesis material only). So no stunbombs or other trixy things will be allowed.

But like I said, I won't do this for a while now. The main challenge is finally finished.
    Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 03-23-2007 at 09:24 PM.