Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FFII - One of the better FFs

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The SaGa (released in America as 'Final Fantasy Legend') series for the Gameboy inherited this system, although a bit different. They had the same producer who worked on FFII's system, so that's probably why. I know there were SaGa games for the Super Famicom and I think the 'Romancing SaGa' were a part of the series too.

I havent played much of the SaGa series even though I have all three legends roms I get distracted easily and have yet to seriously play them though what I have played is good why people hate the games is beyond me and my addiction to turn based RPGs

Banned

If it weren't for the horribly tedious dungeons, this would probably be my favourite FF game for the NES.

Dungeons in this game are usually like this:

"Great, another fork in the road.
    Now where are we heading?
    Hm, let's try the left turn!"

*RANDOM ENCOUNTER!!!*

"Alright, let's see where we'll end up now..."

*ANOTHER RANDOM ENCOUNTER!!!*

"Crap, random encounters suck - HEY! this is a dead end!"

*YET ANOTHER RANDOM ENCOUNTER!!!*

"Let's go back and try the RIGHT turn!"

*RANDOM ENCOUNTER!!!*

"Fine, this seems correct.
    OH NOES, ANOTHER fork in the road!"

*RANDOM ENCOUNTER, ALL CHARS ARE SLAIN!!!*

*GAME OVER!!!*

Meh. :rolleyes2
    Last edited by Peter_20; 07-15-2006 at 02:54 PM.

I like that the story doesn't pull any punches. When someone dies, it's final. For contrast, consider FFIV. I don't want to get specific because people read spoiler tags whether they want to or not (I know I do), so I'll save some curious reader any heartache. Needless to say, FFIV was the king of noncommitting to plot twists. I dislike stories where all the dead people never really died and come back in a happy hollywood ending. FF2 is full of tragedy, which is rare for an FF.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Garland
    I like that the story doesn't pull any punches. When someone dies, it's final.
    Exactly.
    That's pretty unusual for an FF game, indeed.
    I mean, think about (SPOILER)Galuf's death in FF5: he obviously lives on in this pendant or whatever, and "stays by Cara all her life".
    I hate that bullsh*t, it just feels like the producers try to save the characters from "too much tragedy".

"Don't worry, he never really died; so let's be happy and complete this quest already." :rolleyes2

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)What? It's a momento. He isn't really alive. You might as well complain that all the people who died watch over you in astral form at the ending.

Having memories of FFIV, the whole 'new party member dying every four minutes' didn't really bother me....at least they stayed dead.

dungeouns are evil sure I'm over-leveled beyond belief at the dist cave (lvl 9 in the weps my chars use cept layla who just sorta... sucks and level 5 in all my chars spells cept layla,I love captains) so I pretty much just nuke the random encounters with one or two turns and take arouund 30 some odd damage on my all over 1000hp party but so many encounters................ so bored.....