Thread: Just a rumour?

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Default Just a rumour?

From what I heard you should be able to get the Debuchocobo card from the man sitting on the bench outside the library in Balamb garden. Is this just a rumour or can anyone confirm it, because I've played him over and over again, it feels like 50 damn times, and he haven't used it in one single game.

Also, is there a set point in the game before which you can't start the CC quest? I'm not able to start it yet and I'm pretty sure I've won more than the double amount of games in Balamb than I did the last time I completed the game.

You have to do the chocobo forest side-quest to recieve the Chicobo card. Lose this card to the Queen of Cards on purpose. Pray that she is either in Balamb or Dollet, or you are in trouble. Her father will make a Chubby Chocobo card and give it to the man on the bench by the Library in Balamb Garden. You can win your Chicobo card back from her son, who is in the building on the right one screen south of the Dollet Pub.

You can start the CC Group quest as soon as you play a bunch of games in Balamb Garden. I always wait until Garden becomes mobile because you can't challenge Heart until then.

Here is an excerpt from the Card Walkthrough on GameFAQs:
    Jack: Find him standing beside the directory or walking into the screen
    which contains the directory. I've caught him coming in from all three
    directions. Challenge Jack to a game, and he'll say that it's almost
    time. Challenge him again and he'll play you. The last time you played
    cards was in Galbadia, so Jack will keep asking you to mix in Galbadia's
    rules. No, no, no. Don't play him until he quits asking. All that's then
    required is that you win.

Note: You must play/win at least fifteen card games in Balamb Garden
    before Jack will play you. If you've found Jack, but he won't play (he'll
    tell you what an honor it is to be challenged by the CC group but won't
    challenge you), go play a few games with other people and try again. If
    he says, "It's almost time," then he's ready to play. Just speak to him
    again.

Club: This guy walks a regular circuit between the cafeteria, the dorm,
    and the parking lot. You'll either catch him coming out of one of the
    entrances or walking around between them. He has black hair, and it
    shouldn't take long for you to find him. I normally catch him coming out
    of the dorm or walking between the dorm and the parking lot.

Joker: Remember the items guy from the prison? He's taken up residence in
    the Training Center. He still sells items, but he's also a member of the
    CC group. He's Joker. Junction Enc-None and run in and out of the screen
    with the wooden bridge until he appears at the dead-end of the bridge.
    When you defeat him, he'll upgrade your Battle Meter. He also has the
    rare card Leviathan. Play him until you win it. You can actually play
    Joker anytime between Jack and King. I just do him here because he's on
    the way back to the directory. For whatever reason (a bit of Triple Triad
    Trivia here), Joker is the only member of the CC group who will not kneel
    in defeat when you beat him for the first time.

Diamond: The two girls standing in front of the directory make up the
    Diamond Duo. They have no rare cards, but I usually play them until I
    have all of the level 7 cards. All the CC members use level 7 cards, but
    of the players you've met so far, Diamond uses them the most frequently,
    and you can get them all in a fairly short time if you just stand there
    and play.

Now go see NORG (don't forget to draw Leviathan after NORG's pod breaks
    open). When you're done with him, take the elevator to the second floor
    and find the guy in green that gave you your first set of cards. This is
    Spade. You may have to run back and forth between the elevator screen and
    the one leading to the classroom a few times, but he'll show up before
    long. Once you've defeated Spade, we're done with cards until we get to
    FH.

When the repairs on Balamb Garden are complete and you've become mobile,
    you can now complete the CC quest. Save your game in the dorm. Now go to
    the bridge and challenge Xu to a card game. She's Heart. Remember to keep
    saying No when she wants to mix in FH's rules. Play her until you win her
    rare card - Carbuncle. After defeating Xu, speak to Nida. He'll mention
    not knowing that Xu was a member of CC. Now go challenge Dr. Kadowaki to
    a game. She will tell you that she turned her post as King over to
    another girl four years ago. Now, go to the dorm and rest (no, you don't
    have to be alone). Just keep resting until King shows up to challenge
    you. Defeat King to complete the quest. If she doesn't use the Gilgamesh
    card (the only reliable source of Holy Wars in the game), play her on the
    bridge until you get it.

Ummm....that's officially how it works but when I did it, I just played him a lot and also the boy perpetually running round the floor and one of them (I cannot remember whom) had possesion of the Chubby Chocobo card which I then won from him. I didn't bother with all the QOC malarkey - you could get them all from her when at the "Landing Site" in the 4th disc.

You can, but she uses different rules, and it will be hard to win them if you don't have any good cards yourself. Completing the QoC sidequest as soon as possible makes it much easier for you. You can get some really good cards by doing the sidequest. So it's definately worth it.

Articles

Thanks for your help, can anyone else confirm that the guy on the bench actually has the card?

I have completed the CC quest before so I know who they are etc., it's just that I am dead sure I played and won a lot more than 15 games in the Balamb area. Either there has to be another rule to when he agrees to play you, or it's somehow set randomly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rantzien
    Thanks for your help, can anyone else confirm that the guy on the bench actually has the card?

I have completed the CC quest before so I know who they are etc., it's just that I am dead sure I played and won a lot more than 15 games in the Balamb area. Either there has to be another rule to when he agrees to play you, or it's somehow set randomly.
    You have to play inside Balamb Garden. Try progressing in the story a little. You won't be able to complete it until Balamb Garden becomes mobile anyway.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Xurts
    You have to play inside Balamb Garden. Try progressing in the story a little. You won't be able to complete it until Balamb Garden becomes mobile anyway.
    I'm still sure I've won more than 15 games in B. garden, and I'm mostly asking this because I want to know, but also because I'd like to win cards from Jack, Joker, Club, Diamond and Spade before progressing more in the storyline.

I hope I'm not sounding arrogant; at least that's not how I intend it to sound.

You can start the CC Group Sidequest as soon as Disc 3 starts and you've frequently played games. However, you can't play it before Disc 3, and I don't know if the actual sidequest is valid for Disc 4 but you can for sure battle the members in the Ragnarok. That's all it is. Just use the guide up there ^ that was provided, and you'll be fine.

As for the "Debuchocobo" card, I don't even know what that is. Never heard of it. It's not even in the official guide... So it may be a rumor. However, everybody else has been right about the information for the Queen of Cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by lionhearted
    also the boy perpetually running round the floor and one of them (I cannot remember whom) had possesion of the Chubby Chocobo card which I then won from him.
    No. The boy that's running laps around the Garden has the minimog card, that you can win from early in the game.

Thank you Hysterian!

Quote Originally Posted by Rantzien
    I'm still sure I've won more than 15 games in B. garden, and I'm mostly asking this because I want to know, but also because I'd like to win cards from Jack, Joker, Club, Diamond and Spade before progressing more in the storyline.

I hope I'm not sounding arrogant; at least that's not how I intend it to sound.
    I see. I like to win rare cards as soon as I can too. I thought for sure that the only thing needed before Jack would play you was winning games.

If you are playing them this early on, like before you leave for Timber or something, it will be tricky to beat them. Most of them use Level 6 and 7 cards. I hate the Level 7 cards, their 8s will flip even the rare Level 8-10 cards. So you have to be careful.

The card walkthrough by Sister that I posted up there suggests playing them after you are summoned by Norg. It is definately possible to complete the quest before Disk 3, because I've done it twice. Earlier than that I don't know.

You can't play the CC Group on Disk 4 unless you beat them earlier in the game.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by G SpOtZ
    No. The boy that's running laps around the Garden has the minimog card, that you can win from early in the game.
    I already have the Minimog card but that doesn't mean there is no Debuchocobo / Chubby chocobo (they're the same, right?) card to win from someone there.

If you are playing them this early on, like before you leave for Timber or something, it will be tricky to beat them. Most of them use Level 6 and 7 cards. I hate the Level 7 cards, their 8s will flip even the rare Level 8-10 cards. So you have to be careful.
    Yes, I know
    That's the reason I want to play them, both because I enjoy a good challenge every now and then (at least if the rules are right), and because I want to win their cards so that I can refine some good stuff.

I can confirm that the man sitting on the bench outside the library DOES have the Chubby Chocobo card, I won it off him last night. You must have lost the chicobo card to the Queen first though AND have sent her to Dollet. Then you go to Dollet, get the Chicobo card back from her son and then ask her about her artist father. She will say that he made a Chubby Chocobo card and it is somewhere in Balamb Garden.

About the CC group. The earliest you can do it is once you get the garden mobile and have been summoned to see Norg. Talk to Jack. If you have won enough games in Balamb (town and/or garden) then he'll say "You've been doing pretty good with your card games - it's almost time" or something to that effect. If he just talks about the CC group the only thing it could be is not enough games, so just go win some more.

Hope that helps, and good luck with those rare cards.

Second Character: paine
    Third Character: squall

Which FF Character Are You?

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

If these two cards are infact the same thing then yeah this guy does have it. If you've played over 50 games and not seen this card then you probably should go back to the Card Queen and ask her about cards. She will then confirm that there is indeed a new card somewhere in Balamb Garden
    ...Geddit?

Articles

Ah, ok. Thank you everyone, I got what I wanted.