Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In defense of Rosa

In most situations, I hate black mages. The only magic I ever want is healing, and stuff to enhance my warriors. I'd take haste, attack up, defense up etc... any day over a spell that'll cost a million mp to take out the enemy party. Rosa's not the best in my books and, definitely not the best White Mage to ever be in final fantasy but she isn't the worst either. Good post

Being Who Transcended All Black Mage's Avatar

I always thought people hated Rosa because of the insinuation that she left Kain for Cecil while he was gone because Cecil had become a Dark Knight and therefore a higher rank than Kain. At least, I think that's how it went. Something along those lines.

That aside, I've always liked Rosa.

Strange...I don't remember that coming up anywhere in the game script or character descriptions. Closest to that issue I've seen suggested is Rosa's mom not wanting her to be with Cecil because Cecil isn't nobility, and therefore "inferior."

Quote Originally Posted by *PaladinCecil*
    Strange...I don't remember that coming up anywhere in the game script or character descriptions.
    Me neither. Yet everyone keeps telling me that it's true. Personally I'm not going to completely believe it until someone links me to a site that's made from Square that says that.

Or maybe it's a malicious rumor someone started because they don't like Rosa and want to make her look worse!!

Just kidding, of course .

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's in a thread here, but I really don't remember where it is to link to it. It was also linked to in another thread where the same thing popped up.

Either way...can you deny Curaja spammage?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X
    It's in a thread here, but I really don't remember where it is to link to it. It was also linked to in another thread where the same thing popped up.

Either way...can you deny Curaja spammage?
    Interesting...only two topics I found so far about it:

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthrea...sa+dumped+Kain
    http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=75535

I don't know if that FF4 guide exists or not and if it really says that, but from what I can tell, current canon is that Rosa never had a relationship before Cecil.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A member called 'The Man' was the one with the book...or his friend had the book, whatever. I'll try looking for it.

Here it is:

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=75535

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Here's some more about the Foundation Guide and what it says about Rosa and Kain.

Originally posted by The Man
    It's not mentioned in the script at all, actually, even in the Japanese version, so it's understandable that you wouldn't get that impression from the game. The only place it was mentioned, even in Japan, was in the Foundation Guide, which never got released here. I did a lot of research about it a couple of years ago, and apparently Rosa and Cain were dating before he left to train as a dragoon, but she broke off the relationship shortly thereafter. I'm given to understand the breaking off of the relationship was a product as much of Cecil suddenly having more power in the kingdom than Cain as it was of Rosa being lonely; in any case, she took up with Cecil at about the same time she broke off the relationship with Cain. I haven't liked Rosa much since then.

There was a really old thread that had further details that even I can't remember, but it's undoubtedly been pruned by now.
    However, I did a Google search about the Foundation Guide, and I found nothing but posts by The Man, so I can't confirm whether the Foundation Guide really exists or not.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

One thing that crossed my mind in reading that blurb: if this were true, and one of the reasons Rosa left Kain was because he was away to train, why didn't Rosa just go after him like she did with Cecil when he left for Mist? Or alternatively, why didn't she just leave Cecil like she left Kain?

Questions that just popped in my mind .

I don't believe that. Rosa is far too innocent to do that. Plus she wasn't even in a relationship with Cecil. He pretty much ignored her in that scene where she comes up to the bedroom in the beggining. Well okay he didn't ignore her but he didn't speak to her much and I think if they were involved then there probalbly would have been more of a scene there with Cecil going away and all.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The books that are being referred to are probably the predecessor of what current Square Enix games in Japan have - the Ultimania Guides. They contain information not found in the original game and commentaries by the director, writers, and artists that designed the game and its world.

I don't think the title of the one for FINAL FANTASY IV would be called Foundation Guide. That is probably just a phrase or expression.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Looks like I've started a trend of sorts. Again.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Zidane: Great stuff Cecil, reminds me of the time Garnie and I defended FFIX with our "Stop Whining" thread, Rosa is a good character in my opinion, what I don't understand is why people say sometimes she's useless, if memory serves, Holy/White was very useful against Zeromus and didn't take forever like Meteor/Meteo(no offense Rydia fans). Maybe, it's because CecilxRosa is my second favorite pairing with ZidanexGarnet being my first, but I get annoyed when people bash Rosa too, if memory serves, "badass" woman like Lara Croft didn't exist around FFIV's time so how could you expect her to be like that?

One thing that crossed my mind in reading that blurb: if this were true, and one of the reasons Rosa left Kain was because he was away to train, why didn't Rosa just go after him like she did with Cecil when he left for Mist? Or alternatively, why didn't she just leave Cecil like she left Kain?
    Zidane: Amen to that!
    Last edited by Darth Cid; 07-18-2006 at 04:23 AM.

I don't know your site's policy on reviving dead topics, but with the DS remake on the horizon, I thought I'd bring this back up for reading. With any luck, people won't see these already-established character traits for Rosa in the game and call them non-canon simply because they never noticed these parts of who she is.

While I'm writing this, I have another rebuttal to a different claim made about Rosa: the claim that she's a wuss. This one's a little tricky because people have become accustomed to not seeing "gender segregation" as an issue in these games, yet this has a somewhat strong undercurrent in FFIV. Rosa's a noble and a lady; she's not expected to fight on the front lines, and that's actually somewhat discouraged in Baron society. The fact that she rushes after Cecil and stands firm in her conviction to stay by his side on the battlefield is more of a testament to her strong will and courage than she's given credit. It's easy enough for Rydia to go against the social tide; she ended up in the Land of Summons after a lot of personal turmoil, a place with an entirely different society from the surface world. Rosa, on the other hand, had social and class pressures bearing down on her everywhere from becoming a white mage to romantically pursuing Cecil. That, combined with her full willingness and desire to fight alongside Cecil even when he urges her to stay out of it twice, show that she's hardly a wuss.

I'm not saying Rydia's weak, I'm saying Rosa's stronger than she's given credit.

Here's the final bit to my new post. Before the discussion died out, we were talking about how someone called The Man went around posting about how some supposed Foundation Guide stated that Rosa dated Kain, then dumped him to rush off for Cecil because he was more powerful or had more status, something to that effect.

Since then, I found a guidebook translation online. It was put up December 12th, 2005.

Translation of Final Fantasy IV Documents on Settings Book/Settei Shiryou Shuu/Compendium/What Have You

Granted, the translator says he could have made errors, but I trust he did a pretty good job. Obviously, the most important parts for this topic lie in references to Rosa. It's also where I got some of my information for my argument in this post.

Rosa is one of the most talented archers in all of Baron, but she is renowned as much for her peerless beauty as much as for her skills with the bow. Many young men seek Rosa's affections, but it is Cecil with whom she is in love.
    Being of noble blood and having a Dragon Knight for a father, however, Rosa is not thought of as a suitable match for Cecil, whose origins and parentage are unknown. Therefore, Rosa has kept her true feelings hidden within her heart.
    Moreover, Cain is friendly with all the members of Rosa's family, and Rosa, who also lost her father when she was young, deeply sympathizes with Cain.
    Rosa enrolled in the newly-established White Mage Corps, but even this action was prompted by her desire to be close to Cecil. Not much is said of her true powers in white magic at this point.
    Cain -> Rosa: fond thoughts
    Rosa -> Cecil: fond thoughts
    What it boils down to is, the guide says that Rosa is actively discouraged from pursuing Cecil because of his military position and because he wasn't of noble birth. Kain, on the other hand, is someone that Rosa's family more than welcomes as a partner and husband for her. While she sympathizes with Kain, and could more or less have any man she wants, she only has romantic feelings for Cecil. That's not to say it's impossible that she dated Kain. For all we know, perhaps she caved to family and social pressure when she was younger and dated him for a while. The point is, her true love has always been toward Cecil, and it's been for who Cecil really is, not his rank or power.

Claims to the contrary, I've only seen made based off shoddy fan translations of the Japanese script that get used in roms.