Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In defense of Rosa

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

The developers of the DS remake of FFIV have stated they'd like to take this opportunity to introduce plot points that were cut from the original version of the game due to space and scheduling restraints. Hopefully, Rosa's backstory with Cain and Cecil will be one of them.

Banned

So they removed plot points as well?
    *sigh*
    I'm surprised at how extremely crippled the American version turned out to be compare to the original.

"Hey, let's remove special abilities, cut down the dialogues by 80%, replace healing items with t3h Heals, remove Summons AND remove backstories!"

WTF?!

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

You've misunderstood. It's not an issue of things being lost in translation; they were talking about things that weren't even able to be included in the Japanese version.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    You've misunderstood. It's not an issue of things being lost in translation; they were talking about things that weren't even able to be included in the Japanese version.
    Well, but still, I don't understand why the American version got so incredibly crippled.
    I go off-topic now, but oh well...

I don't entirely know why I dislike Rosa. I mean, she was a perfectly good White Mage even if I did prefer Porom.
    However, in the game, to me anyway, it sometimes seemed like she was playing with the emotions of both Cecil and Kain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    The developers of the DS remake of FFIV have stated they'd like to take this opportunity to introduce plot points that were cut from the original version of the game due to space and scheduling restraints. Hopefully, Rosa's backstory with Cain and Cecil will be one of them.
    I've heard that, I'm really looking forward to the remake. I'm hoping it makes these parts of who she is more obvious for people who aren't into the game enough to delve this deep, or people who aren't keen enough to spot it out in the game itself before making judgment calls.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Never had a problem with Rosa. In fact, she's one of my preferred female leads. Much better than that Celes Chere. I pretty much agree with everything you've said.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Rosa is an important character in the second half of the game. If Rosa gets KO'd, it's not long before the rest of the party goes down with her. I just wish there was more of a need for her archery skills. BTW, was it ever mentioned how and why she learned to be an archer? If so, I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snap Jumper View Post
    Rosa is an important character in the second half of the game. If Rosa gets KO'd, it's not long before the rest of the party goes down with her. I just wish there was more of a need for her archery skills. BTW, was it ever mentioned how and why she learned to be an archer? If so, I missed it.
    It's not mentioned in the game, and the guide doesn't say it, but I've heard that some other source says that noblewomen of Baron are expected to be defenders of the realm and learn archery for that purpose. I wouldn't take it to be 100% guaranteed true unless there's a source to go back to, though.

Quote Originally Posted by *PaladinCecil* View Post
    It's not mentioned in the game, and the guide doesn't say it, but I've heard that some other source says that noblewomen of Baron are expected to be defenders of the realm and learn archery for that purpose. I wouldn't take it to be 100% guaranteed true unless there's a source to go back to, though.
    Yeah, I read that that too, somewhere, but I have no clue if it's official info or fan-made trivia.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I never knew anyone hated Rosa. Now EDWARD for that matter...great concept for a character, lame fighter.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I just wish there was more of a need for her archery skills. BTW, was it ever mentioned how and why she learned to be an archer? If so, I missed it.
    In Japan, the bow has historically been regarded as a woman's weapon. And in Japanese fiction, it's been wielded by female characters more than any other weapon. So, for Rosa to specialize in archery isn't something that needs a particular explanation so much as it's simply a matter of fact.

In defense of Rosa, she is a White Mage who does not die in like two hits.

There. Rosa kicks ass.

Dying in two hits is generally Edge's job when he joins your party.

Quote Originally Posted by Takara View Post
    Dying in two hits is generally Edge's job when he joins your party.
    I found that to be more true for Rydia than Edge. Edge has more HP and better evasion than her so he has the better chance of surviving.