Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: In defense of Rosa

Default In defense of Rosa

Because from what I can tell, it looks like nobody else is going to be fair to her without someone taking the time to go through her character and the storyline. Be aware, this is not going to be mere rehash of the obvious. It will push you to consider some aspects of the game in ways you may have overlooked.

SPOILERS throughout this post.

The first point I'd like to touch on is one that always bothers me because of erroneous assumptions of people who start playing the series further down the line. The argument I'm about to challenge: "Rosa is just a stereotypical white mage." Now, we all know that the white mage was first introduced in the original Final Fantasy. Trouble is, which Final Fantasy was the first one to give a white mage the "loving, caring" type of personality? That's right, Final Fantasy 4. The only other white mage in the series to have a personality before FF4 was a character in FF2 (I think his name was Mindu). When we get right down to it, Rosa is the very first character in the series to have the type of personality that is now EXPECTED of a white mage character in the Final Fantasy series. She did not merely copy someone else, she's the original. In my personal belief, I think this gets slapped on her because people who were introduced to the white mage personality with Aeris, Yuna, or some other FF girl don't take the time it was created in the series into consideration. Hey, if I wanted to be unnecessarily cynical, I could claim that people only do this to Rosa because they don't like the idea of someone with that personality coming before a character like Aeris. But that's being cynical.

The second topic of my post: "Rosa is just a damsel in distress." Let me ask you, how many times does Rosa need help? Twice. Once for desert fever and once when captured by Golbez. We all know Rinoa tops that, but let's look at the other characters in the series besides her. Aeris needs your help at LEAST four times: Don Corneo, escaping the church, escaping Shinra headquarters (you could really count this TWICE if you wanted to because they get recaptured and then must escape again), and the City of Ancients (where she dies before you can rescue her). Even if you cut out Don Corneo, that still leaves three other spots. One more than Rosa. Yuna? If I remember correctly, she's captured at LEAST twice (Seymour and the Al Bhed...there could be more that I've forgotten). Garnet: at least twice. At worst, Rosa is equal to these other FF leads as a damsel-in-distress.

This weaves seamlessly into the nature of Rosa's two instances where she needs to be helped. First: "Rosa could have at LEAST fought Golbez off when he captured her!" No, she couldn't. Golbez just annihilated half the party with one bolt spell. In one attack, Golbez took down the best Dark Knight in Baron, the best martial artist in Fabul, and the prince of Damcyan. What's a white mage going to do to a guy like that? The more time she spent struggling, the worse off her comrades would have been. Why give Golbez a good reason to kill Rosa and her comrades when Golbez has no intention of finishing the rest off as long as he gets her? This is a sign of intellect, not cowardice.

Second: Rosa gets desert fever. You already know the obvious defense of "it's a sickness, not like she could prevent it?" I have something better to think about: how do you think Rosa got out there in the first place? She doesn't know how to teleport. Nobody else accompanied her (and if they did, they died or deserted along the way). She crossed monster-infested lands alone, her bow and arrows her only attack. The fact that she made it to Kaipo is in itself a clear sign that she's more than just a damsel in distress. And unlike Rydia, she didn't have black magic to fall back on. Not only does this show Rosa's a strong woman, but it shows her deep love for Cecil. She risked her life traveling across land, desert and possibly mountain and must have faced hordes of monsters just to reach the man she loves.

And as long as we're on magic, let's compare the magic and attacks in this game real fast in terms of their worth. I'm not going to go into the character-specific stuff because that would take too long. Black magic can target all enemies and do a great deal of damage, but you still have a regular attack to fall back on for any mage characters. Just the same, you have characters that are entirely physical damage dealers. While black magic has its uses, it's not absolutely essential. When we move on to items, there are plenty that can function in the place of both white magic and black magic. But here's the thing: there's a limited supply of items that can heal ALL characters at once. And in this game, healing is an absolute necessity (especially against Zeromus). If you removed any of the damage dealers of the party, whether black magic or physical attack, you're still safe with the other characters. But if you remove Rosa, you're pretty much screwed unless you replace her or someone else with another white mage character.

Finally, we get down to feelings, both romantic and when captured. With regard to romantic feelings, many people complain about Rosa being "clingy." But here's the thing: her and Cecil have been in an intimate relationship for YEARS, and they've been close to each other since childhood. Now tell me, how realistic is it that you WON'T want to be near people you love after being around them for so long? The game makes it an obvious point that Cecil's distancing from Rosa during the early parts of the game are NOT because she's some crazy girl obsessed with Cecil, but that Cecil's the one with the problem. His Dark Knight class is slowly closing his heart off to all sense of humanity. And as for her pleas to be saved by Cecil while she was captured: what do you expect?! She's a hostage in a vulnerable position. She could be killed, harmed or raped at any moment, she wouldn't be able to fight back, and the only one that can save her now is Cecil. That isn't weakness; it's being human.

With that, I will point out two more loose ends and then leave it at that for now. At Mt. Hobs, you discover that you cannot pass until young Rydia learns the fire spell. This would be simple enough..if Rydia weren't traumatized by fire earlier. If Rydia could get over it with just Cecil and Edward, you would be able to melt the ice much earlier in the game. However, it's only after Rosa tags along that Rydia manages to overcome that fear. Thanks to Rosa's caring and compassionate touch, the party can progress. Rosa does not slow the party down from their mission by coming after Cecil. In fact, she becomes the second most important reason the party makes it to Fabul at all. And when the party went to defeat Zeromus, it wasn't Rydia that suggested they hide on the ship. If I remember correctly, Rydia didn't even put up an argument. It was Rosa who suggested they hide on the ship, then confronted the guys (including Cecil) for trying to make the women stay behind.

I realize that in my writing this rather long post, most people will brand me as nothing more than an overobsessive psycho who needs to "calm down." Some may even have the audacity to say "it's just a video game." But these are very real aspects of the game that have come from multiple replays and many thorough discussions of Rosa on various boards. With so much negativity levied at Rosa, I felt it only proper to provide a truthful and balanced defense for Rosa, the most underrated character in the entire Final Fantasy series.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, why are you acting like Rosa is always hated and what-not? I hardly see that around. * Yeah, she doesn't have much character on the surface, and just appears to be the weak 'omg save me!!1one1' damsel in distress character, so I guess that's the main reason people wouldn't like her. But I've never really thought about it anyway. People are allowed to like and dislike who they want. I actually hated Kain so much for being a manipulated stupid smurf*, but that's just me.

Edit: Okay, yeah that's a little too much detail. Nevermind.

*Please. Let's not start on Rinoa.

*Sorry, kain's_girl

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X
    Well, why are you acting like Rosa is always hated and what-not? I hardly see that around. * Yeah, she doesn't have much character on the surface, and just appears to be the weak 'omg save me!!1one1' damsel in distress character, so I guess that's the main reason people wouldn't like her. But I've never really thought about it anyway. People are allowed to like and dislike who they want. I actually hated Kain so much for being a manipulated stupid smurf*, but that's just me.

Edit: Okay, yeah that's a little too much detail. Nevermind.

*Please. Let's not start on Rinoa.

*Sorry, kain's_girl
    People can feel how they want about characters, certainly, but I made my post because she gets a lot of undeserved criticism in many aspects of the game. If they don't like her type of character, that's one thing, but it's another to say she's just a whiny, clingy, weak "stereotypical white mage" when key aspects of the game and other games suggest otherwise.

And believe me, Rosa is always hated. In almost every case I've come across, she's either completely ignored or outright loathed. It's rare when I come across a group of people that view Rosa in a positive light.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Never had a problem with Rosa, and I didn't think of her as stereotypical or just another damsel in distress.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *PaladinCecil*
    Let me ask you, how many times does Rosa need help? Twice. Once for desert fever and once when captured by Golbez.
    And how many times does the party need Rosa to save them against Zeromus? I'd say at least 10-20 times, depends on how many times Zeromus gets to use Big Bang. So it's Cecil and others who are the damsels and misters in distress, not Rosa. I think Rosa's an alright character. She's quite useful in battles (I use white magic more than other magic, and she actually does quite a lot of damage with a bow when you use her Aim ability and good arrows), and she doesn't annoy me in the game. Not my favorite character, but a white mage is still a must-have in a party in FFIV.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

This is a great topic. I never noticed some of that stuff about her before.

Default I'M NOT ALONE!!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH *PaladinCecil*!!!!

I'm glad you're convincing everyone to stop hating Rosa. She's my 2nd Favorite FFIV Character. (Cecil is my most favorite)

I was going to start a "Why does everyone hate Rosa?" thread but I knew I'd be on the losing side of the argument. Besides, this thread is much better than a "Why does everyone hate Rosa?" thread.

If you don't mind I'd also like to state something else:

After the Giant of Babel was destroyed Edge was about to kill Kain for turning against them. (even though he was controlled by Golbez) Rosa was the one that stopped Edge from killing Kain. Not Rydia. A wuss wouldn't go stopping someone from killing a person. I'm not calling Rydia a wuss for not stopping Edge.
    Last edited by Evastio; 07-15-2006 at 11:24 PM.

I always liked Rosa as a character. I don't get why other people would hate her so much. But I'm glad a topic was made for this

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X
    *Sorry, kain's_girl
    No worries. You're entitled to you own opinion.

I never thought of Rosa as a damsel in distress.

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio
    THANK YOU SO MUCH *PaladinCecil*!!!!

I'm glad you're convincing everyone to stop hating Rosa. Rosa is my 2nd Favorite FFIV Character. (Cecil is my most favorite)

I was going to start a "Why does everyone hate Rosa?" thread but I knew I'd be on the losing side of the argument. Besides, this thread is much better than a "Why does everyone hate Rosa?" thread.

If you don't mind I'd also like to state something else:

After the Giant of Babel was destroyed Edge was about to kill Kain for turning against them. (even though he was controlled by Golbez) Rosa was the one that stopped Edge from killing Kain. Not Rydia. A wuss wouldn't go stopping someone from killing a person.
    Thanks for the comments everyone . Also thanks to Evastio for bringing up that scene. Sorry if the following sounds like it's trying to "steal your thunder" or something along those lines, I'm just saying something else that comes to mind out of what you mentioned.

Rosa's interaction with Kain shows another side to her that's in plain sight but very few think about: her forgiving side. Kain betrays the party twice, and at one point kidnaps Rosa, but she doesn't respond to him with "screw you Kain, leave us alone, you'll probably just turn on us again later" when he returns to normal. She says "let's travel together." She understands Kain was a victim too, and if not for her involvement, that's one less ally that could have proven a powerful asset.

I just hated her. Not a lot, she just seemed like a damsel in distress as you put it. She I know you said that they are all like that, its just she seemed to scream "I'm a damsel save me!" more than the others.

OF course I didn't like Aeris either for the same reason, though I dislike Rosa more. And FF IV was my first FF, and she's really the only character I didn't like.

I like Rosa. She is my favourite character after Rydia. I don't think she was a damsel in distress. I mean when Golbez took Rosa you can't blame it on just Rosa what about Rydia. She was there as well she could have summoned or something.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by f f freak
    I like Rosa. She is my favourite character after Rydia. I don't think she was a damsel in distress. I mean when Golbez took Rosa you can't blame it on just Rosa what about Rydia. She was there as well she could have summoned or something.
    What? A big scary Chocobo to kick Golbez's @$$?
    ANyway, nice topic. I never thought negatively about Rosa, I mean, she's so useful in battle. And FF IV was also my first FF with characters, I mean, I played DoS FF I and II but II's characters can't be conisdered deep, so bleh...
    I will prefer Rosa over Aeris any day, but not over Garnet, because IX is my favorite. Altough I like Rydia more (green hair and a kid, I like kids who want to save the world), I don't think Rosa is bad and uninteresting. She was there and she did very fine. Final.

Yes Elpizo she could have summoned a chocobo to kill Golbez and make it the end of the game that early before you have half of the characters you get..

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by f f freak
    Yes Elpizo she could have summoned a chocobo to kill Golbez and make it the end of the game that early before you have half of the characters you get..
    I think that if Rydia summoned Chocobo, Golbez would be eating roasted Chocobo with the finest wine that evening in the Tower of Zot to celebrate Rosa's capturing.