View Poll Results: Were you irritated by what Square did?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 23.08%
  • No

6 15.38%
  • A little...

24 61.54%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Die Die Die! (SPOILERS)

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Default Die Die Die! (SPOILERS)

This thread will contain SPOILERS, so be wary. I REPEAT, THERE ARE BLATANT SPOILERS HERE.

What did you think of how Square seemed to kill off every character, and then suddenly bring him back, even though, realistically, such and such character should have died and stayed that way.

I mean, think about it. How many people die, yet magically come back? Am I the only one that seemed to be annoyed by people reappearing in this game, or are there others that became slightly irritated by EVERYONE coming back?

I didn't wish for each and every individual to die, but having ALL of them come back in the end seemed a little... much...

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I did find it a little annoying. Like the first time I played through and got that whole "nooo" thing when they die, but when they are like alive in a bed or whatever a couple of days later; it kind of took away the thrill.

Still, it wasn't enough to turn me off the game or punch a whole in the wall or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Puppet
    I did find it a little annoying. Like the first time I played through and got that whole "nooo" thing when they die, but then they are like in a bed or whatever a couple of days later; it kind of took away the thrill.

Still, it wasn't enough to turn me off the game or punch a whole in the wall or whatever.
    Heh, no, of course it didn't make me that upset, and if it did, my my, I would need to talk to someone...

But as you said, it definately took away the thrill, the dramatic qualities of the game were just, well, shot concerning the characters' supposed deaths...

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As a kid, I guess I never cared, but now that I know that FFII and III had the same thing, I don't really find it annoying. At least Square has better writers now.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Yeah, it kind of bugs me, since it was just a cheap way to build artificial drama while making space for new party members. It apparently didn't occur to Square to just let the players switch out characters at their liesure until FFVI.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Imagine the amount of death in that game if that weren't the case. xD

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

At least our tragic, prince-loving, runaway stays dead. Sure, she comes back as a ghost, but she died :ghost:
    Last edited by theundeadhero; 07-16-2006 at 09:50 AM.

Well...to be fair, they DID keep Tellah dead.

But overall, it was a bad idea to have everyone come back. It diminishes the worthiness of the sacrifice the characters made, and keeping a few more dead would have made the final battle that much more special.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Yes, the fact that Tella actually died made it that much more impactful when he returned in astral form to root for you during the final battle. Other than that, it was just, "Sup Yang?"

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Even the king of Baron came back as Odin.

I honestly think that this game is what made them decide to kill Aerith in FFVII. Nomura even talked about Aerith's death saying, "We didn't want her to come back, because that's the common cliche." And he goes on about this for a while, but you get the basic idea. Death was so irrelevant in this game, that I really do think it was one of the original reasons for killing Aerith and keeping her dead. It sure did bug the hell out of me though. That everyone lived that is, not that Aerith died (Okay, that bugged me too, but not in the same way).

You HAD to bring Aerith up, didn't you Aralith....

But yes, I can see how that may have influenced some things. Personally, I like Aerith being dead, so I don't much care if it's influenced or not.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well it isn't like (SPOILER)Joseph, Richard, Ming-wu, Desh (for awhile), Elia, Tellah (for real), Galuf, and General Leo didn't sacrifice themselves/die for whatever reason beforehand. It's a pretty common theme in the series, if not RPGs in general.

Because, you know, someone has to die.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

It didn't bother me that many of the characters came back. (SPOILER)Tellah stayed dead anyway.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I didn't find it annoying at all. I actually found it so awesome on my first playthrough of FFIV when everyone comes back and helps defeat the Giant of Bab-il.