Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Count of Monte Cristo

"Go die in a hole."- Kat

Default The Count of Monte Cristo

I just finished reading this book a while ago for my summer reading for Honors English. This book was a bit... sagging at times (if that makes sense) and reading through it was also a bit hard because it was so long and some parts were a bit useless, honestly. It had its on and off moments for me, I guess. I even stayed up all night (to about 7 A.M.) twice to finish a couple more chapters, which sort of gave me a headache. Overall, I liked the story and the way Dantes sort of dragged out his plans so he could fulfill his revenge was genius, which is mainly why I kept reading.

So, the topic of this thread is: what did you think of The Count of Monte Cristo, either the book or the movie, I guess.

Blog Entries

Even though the movie is considered to be a classic, I found it long-winded and extremely boring. Nothing happened, and it just went on and on and on AND ON.

It's a classic tale of revenge and redemption. It's almost better than Shakespeare: his tragedy stories always end up in disarray but this is a tragedy where the plan actually works and succeeds. It's awesome.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I have never read the book but I did enjoy the movie. The 2002 version. I have not seen any of the others and probably never will because video rental stores are not known for their impressie catalog of movies and I do not intend to wait for them to get it if they would even consider ordering it.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was actually able to see the movie in a special, rather exclusive screening (Jim Caviezel is an alumni of my High School, and he got the entire school out to a theater to watch it). I can honestly say I wasn't terribly impressed. The story was decent, but as my English teacher later pointed out, the fact that he didn't lose everything with his revenge really just glorified the concept that the book was saying was bad.

I may read the book someday, I've heard it to be a lot better than the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by tan
    I just finished reading this book a while ago for my summer reading for Honors English. This book was a bit... sagging at times (if that makes sense) and reading through it was also a bit hard because it was so long and some parts were a bit useless, honestly. It had its on and off moments for me, I guess. I even stayed up all night (to about 7 A.M.) twice to finish a couple more chapters, which sort of gave me a headache. Overall, I liked the story and the way Dantes sort of dragged out his plans so he could fulfill his revenge was genius, which is mainly why I kept reading.

So, the topic of this thread is: what did you think of The Count of Monte Cristo, either the book or the movie, I guess.
    Honours english eh:?

so what!! I read the book for reccreational fun!!! so in your face.

Anyway yeah its a good book.
    Great movie also.

Both versions.

I liked the book but enjoyed the movie with Richard Harris a lot better.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

I enjoyed the book more, but that may be in part because I read the book first, at my own leisure. I will say, however, that the movie was well done, and it kept me interested - really, I ultimately enjoyed it, but I seem to get more enjoyment out of reading than watching, so I may be biased.

A classic story though, one that is enjoyable in both version, though I lean towards the book more than the movie.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I haven't read all of the book (i've never owned it), but I've seen the more recent movie AND the beautiful anime that was made in Japan 2 years ago (It's still coming out on DVD in English).

Check out the anime, it's called 'Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo'. It really takes a different and futuristic spin on the story (compared to the movie at least) and focuses a lot on Albert and his relationship with the Count, who appears vampiric.

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void
    I was actually able to see the movie in a special, rather exclusive screening (Jim Caviezel is an alumni of my High School, and he got the entire school out to a theater to watch it). I can honestly say I wasn't terribly impressed. The story was decent, but as my English teacher later pointed out, the fact that he didn't lose everything with his revenge really just glorified the concept that the book was saying was bad.

I may read the book someday, I've heard it to be a lot better than the movie.
    why must you remind me of that? That was the incident where I walked into Jim Caviezel, and he growled at me -__-; heh.

anyways, the movie was ok, I just recently saw it again on TV...it's better the second time around when you don't have the star breathing down your neck.

i actually saw the french mini-series first, with Gérard Depardieu (you know that french guy that seems to be in heaps of french stuff). i heaps liked it, even though it was pretty long. The movie, which i just saw recently, didnt really impress me all that much though, cos there wasnt enough time to really tell the whole story. i havnt read the book yet, but would like to, as all you guys are saying it is pretty good.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix

Check out the anime, it's called 'Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo'. It really takes a different and futuristic spin on the story (compared to the movie at least) and focuses a lot on Albert and his relationship with the Count, who appears vampiric.
    oh hakushaku

"Go die in a hole."- Kat

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Ace
    i havnt read the book yet, but would like to, as all you guys are saying it is pretty good.
    I would only recommend it to you if you can sit through a 1500-page book without giving up on it. Other than that, it's great :D

Quote Originally Posted by tan
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Ace
    i havnt read the book yet, but would like to, as all you guys are saying it is pretty good.
    I would only recommend it to you if you can sit through a 1500-page book without giving up on it. Other than that, it's great
    wow, thats pretty dam long... i dont know if id have time to read a book that long, considering that Lord of the Rings took me 3 years to read...

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Dumas likes to write on and on about things that really have no relevance to the main plot. I think it was for some kind of social or political commentary, but that's all pretty useless now. Still, I really enjoy his writing and liked the book and the movie.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum