Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speeding Violations

In England you have to drive no faster than 30mph through residential areas. I always try and stick to that - I think its frustratingly slow but as a rule I think someone is about 50% (or is it 80%) more likely to survive being hit at 30mph than 40mph. Maybe. Its something rather large though. I think its worth it for that.

I was reading an article in new Scientist a few weeks ago about how scientists are trying to develop new engines with the ability to have optimum economy with fuel at higher speeds - around 70mph so less fuel is wasted by people speeding.

I think British people do go very fast. I go fast sometimes, not always..I try and go carefully but on my way into work I generally go no slower than 45/50mph through twisty tiny country lanes. 60/70mph on the straight bits. I need to leave the house earlier.

I give you stick-pokies!
    Livejournal~Elfwood Gallery~

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    In England you have to drive no faster than 30mph through residential areas. I always try and stick to that - I think its frustratingly slow but as a rule I think someone is about 50% (or is it 80%) more likely to survive being hit at 30mph than 40mph. Maybe. Its something rather large though. I think its worth it for that.
    In Wisconsin it is 25mph through residential unless otheriwse marked (which it rarely is ) I have kids though, so I really appriciate the enforcment on it.

I was reading an article in new Scientist a few weeks ago about how scientists are trying to develop new engines with the ability to have optimum economy with fuel at higher speeds - around 70mph so less fuel is wasted by people speeding.
    The speed to fuel ration is actually controlled by transmition. Ford has developed a CVT, constant variable transmision that gets less miles per gallon at peak speeds, but better average fuel ecomony across the board. This is to help with speeders, toeing, freeway driving, constant variable driving (thus the name). I did hear that Volkswagon and Volvo (owned by Ford) are developing engines that impliment a similar technology to CVT in thier mechanics. Who knows though.

It's rather strange: we're constrained by various laws every day, some convenient and some not - and yet most of these go unquestioned and unchallenged, except the speed limits, something in place to preserve life during an extremely risky practice - driving - which is routinely undertaken by civilians with little or no formal training. Sure it'd suck if I got a ticket for going 6 mph over the limit (10 kph, the minimum threshold for triggering a speed camera here), but them's the breaks and that's the law. Road safety is managed by people who know way more about it than me, so I'll go with what they say.
    I completely agree with this. Social nature is a bit uneducated.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

55 is slow. We have an approximate speed limit of 62 mph (100 km*h^-1).

Anyway, no talking back to the sherriff. He can arrest yo ass!

:D