Thread: My New Signature/Artwork! :)

Thats what I was thinking it looks so good
    warriorboy && battlingbard.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by TiDUS.AHOLiC
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeza
    These are all very good, but if you are making sigs that are going to be used on EoFF you have to make sure that they fall within the sig restrictions for this site. The sig restrictions are posted right above the sig field in your User CP and also in the Signature Service thread in the Help Forum. All but about three of the sigs that you have posted in this thread have been over the allowable 50 kb filesize limit.

Oh no... they're just made for showing It's not for EOFF
    You were using one and you also allowed 4evarisha to use one. They are good so if you wish to use anymore on this site, resize them first please.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

These are all very good, but if you are making sigs that are going to be used on EoFF you have to make sure that they fall within the sig restrictions for this site. The sig restrictions are posted right above the sig field in your User CP and also in the Signature Service thread in the Help Forum. All but about three of the sigs that you have posted in this thread have been over the allowable 50 kb filesize limit.

Oh no... they're just made for showing :) It's not for EOFF :)
    You were using one and you also allowed 4evarisha to use one. They are good so if you wish to use anymore on this site, resize them first please. :cat:
    Oh okay. I guess so... but then my program kb is always high... so I don't know what to do... because unless I have to resize my banner but it's really ugly when I have to use a small size... because it's only 300x100... so I don't know what do you have to say abut that :)

RenoB00B00<3

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Your files are png and those are huge. If you are using Jasc, then you can go to File>Export>JPG Optimizer> and then compress the filesize in jpg form so that it is below 50 kb. Resizing the pixels doesn't do too much to the kbs.

Not sure about animations, but most of those files are to large for this site regardless of how you save them.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

If you can bear having itty bitty sigs you can use pngs. You need to have it about 80tall by 200wide if I recall for it fit in png format. Also when using png-24 you can save it without transparancy(if you aren't realy making use of it, to cut down on a couple kb), in addition turning of interlace mode will save you few kb.

Gif's are your best bet for animations(to my knowledge), they are fairly small and support animation.

Anyways I would personally advise to continue using png, they have the best graphic power of the web type of image files. they support 24 bit transparncy/shadow, better color depth and distinction, etc. And many forums I go to aren't so strict on sig size(closer to 100-150kb size limit). In fact many of them have threads advising the use of png's. They are suppior in all but file size. And even then png-8 can beat gif's filesize(and to my knowledge they are very similar in capabilites).

Anyways TiDUS.AHOLiC tell us what you use, and I can tell you how to try to get the files within the limit. However, what it will come down to is you will have to tell when the effects you are using need png or if they can handle the weaker formats as thier storage.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

If you have the right program, .png looks no different (at least, most people can't tell the difference if there is much of any) from .jpg and .jpg is usually smaller in file size. The only time .jpg really looks horrible is if you use less than 60 quality or if you're saving it in paint. So I would recommend that you use .jpg. .gif isn't good to use unless you're doing something animated (.gif is the only file type that supports animation that I know of) as otherwise, it'll come out all dotty. If you're using photoshop, you can go to file>save for web and that'll significantly reduce the file size without losing quality. With the dimensions of the sigs you usually post here, you could probably save it as a .jpg with 80 quality and have it come out under the limit.
    Last edited by Cybele; 07-25-2006 at 08:49 AM.

Well in photoshop you 'can' tell the difference between png and jpeg. I know cause I stopped using jpeg for that very reason unless I am not using anything that benifits from png.

If you make use of shadows, glows, transparancy, etc PNG absolutely mows down the competition.

Sharp edges and text is also better handled by png.

Just about the only thing that out performs PNG is GIF when it comes to animation and JPEG when it comes to the final save of photographic data(which is what JPEG is made for last I heard).

Therefore if you make heavy use of shadows, glows, transparancy and those sort of special affects PNG can make a very obvious difference(I noticed it purely cause I use those effects alot, then I researched it and found out why.... PNG is best for anything that isn't a photograph in nature).

So that is the question. If you make heavy use of the affects above listed as being PNG's specialty you likely just want to aim for smaller images using png. If you don't use those effects heavily then likely the difference will be small to nothing so using a smaller format would be wise(as long as it is a high quality jpeg).

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

Oh okay. But then like my banner is smooth... so if I turn it into JPG. it's going to make the surface or the image look real bad... so yeah... can anyone help out? :)

RenoB00B00<3

Look here. do sigs as you like them, work hard and try to stick to the rules.
    your sigs are great because the resymbole you no one else... keep going...
    I <3 you Polaris
    ~Antratica forum~ You know you want to join =p

Oh okay. But then like my banner is smooth... so if I turn it into JPG. it's going to make the surface or the image look real bad... so yeah... can anyone help out?

Well It does depend, do you use Photoshop? In the save for web option under file you can view side by side how it looks under different settings before you save. If you do this you can tell if jpeg will actually make a difference or not. Sometimes it will others it won't. You use a bunch of dreamy effects and since those are the type of effects I can usually see a diference, that is why in my personal opinion for you to use png with smaller images. Many times I can get a PNG in the file size limits at a size of 80-ish tall by 300-ish wide, with interlacing turned off. About 45kb or less on average.

But yeah you best bet is to look at them in comparison of one another. It may not, despite my guesses, be noticeble with your type of sig making. You just need to play around and learn when a jpg works better then a png and vice versa.

I suggest making a bunch of different ones how you usually do and saving them as both a png and a jpg and comparing them. Perhaps even posting a few up here and asking if we notice any difference etc...

Oh okay. But then like my banner is smooth... so if I turn it into JPG. it's going to make the surface or the image look real bad... so yeah... can anyone help out?
    It won't make the surface bad. The worst it'll be is a little blurry. Here, I've taken that first you sig posted and saved as a .jpg in photoshop. The first is your original .png, the second is the one I resaved. Honestly, I don't see that much of a difference between the two. The second one might be a TINY bit lighter, but that's nothing that you can't fix with an extra soft light layer/curves/levels/contrast adjustment or a smart sharpen (if you have CS2, this filter will make it have deeper shadows when used properly).

The biggest difference that I see is the text(to be expected, JPEG's aren't famous for thier excelent text handling). And some of the shades and shadows seem different though part of that may be how my lcd monitor is tilted(doubt it though cause it doesn't look that way if I just view two of the same at the same spots on the screen).

Anyways I have played around with a few of your earlier ones as well, and it appears that however you do the dreamy effect it doesn't utilize the features that png has over jpeg(or at least not enough to make a big difference).

Quote Originally Posted by Olette
    Oh okay. But then like my banner is smooth... so if I turn it into JPG. it's going to make the surface or the image look real bad... so yeah... can anyone help out? :)
    It won't make the surface bad. The worst it'll be is a little blurry. Here, I've taken that first you sig posted and saved as a .jpg in photoshop. The first is your original .png, the second is the one I resaved. Honestly, I don't see that much of a difference between the two. The second one might be a TINY bit lighter, but that's nothing that you can't fix with an extra soft light layer/curves/levels/contrast adjustment or a smart sharpen (if you have CS2, this filter will make it have deeper shadows when used properly).

Oh! Thanks you so much! I will save mines as JPG. okay? Thanks alot for your help!:)

RenoB00B00<3

Yes well, JPG are alot smaller, but their quality are not that good, unless you use very high quality renders in them.
    anyway good luck, and I can't wait to see more of your work...
    I <3 you Polaris
    ~Antratica forum~ You know you want to join =p

also, if your PNG sigs are very close to 50 kb, say like 53 KB, you can use png gauntlet or pngcrush to compress the png a little so it'll be smaller and no quality loss. Sometimes it doesn't compress very much so pick the sigs closest to 50kb to compress.

Your sigs are very pretty. So dreamy.