Thread: S-S-S-S-S-Sylph Cave! Aaaagh!

Default S-S-S-S-S-Sylph Cave! Aaaagh!

I swear this was so much easier in the SNES version. Did the Marlboros not have Bad Breath then or something? Cause that move is even more evil in this FF than any other I've played (there is no statusproof equipment that I know of yet) Anyway, I'm surviving, but only thanks to a judicious application of Titan and I'm gonna run out of MP soon.

Any tips, or do I just need to use up lots of ethers?

Old-Ones Studios Cruise Control's Avatar

Personally I carry 99 of everything I can get my hands on, and I had no problem. So I would just get 99 ethers.
    Leave some shards under the belly
    Lay some grease inside my hand
    It's a sentimental jury
    And the makings of a good plan

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, you do have Float, right?

If you feel like the battles are a pain, just run. Unless you're trying to open all those monster-in-a-boxes near the end of the cave.

What level are you at? If you're around level 40 you should be doing absolutely fine. Also I think you should be using the Esuna spell over the Remedy Item. It's a lot more expensive in the PS and GBA Version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X
    Well, you do have Float, right?
    I remember I ran out of MP to cast Float. All of my characters had 1 HP. I barely made it out alive.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by HowlingMonkey
    I swear this was so much easier in the SNES version.
    Just remember that the SNES version was really easy and the PSOne and GBA versions are a lot more difficult.
    Figaro Castle

Old-Ones Studios Cruise Control's Avatar

XD
    Leave some shards under the belly
    Lay some grease inside my hand
    It's a sentimental jury
    And the makings of a good plan

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Me talking about FFIVA with DJZen on July 16th 2006:

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD and DJZen
    Sephiroth1999AD: Whoa, the enemies in the Sylph Cave are tough.
    Strizzuth: yep

Sephiroth1999AD: Darn it. Four Marlboros = Game Over.
    Strizzuth: ugh
    Strizzuth: yeah
    Strizzuth: that's never a fun time
    Sephiroth1999AD: Four Bad Breaths + treasure chest fight = no escape.
    Strizzuth: it's probably a potion in the chest or something XD
    Sephiroth1999AD: Well, the treasures have been quite useless in that room. A Full-Moon, which is pretty good but neither adds nor reduces Edge's attack power, White and Red Fang which I never use...'
    Sephiroth1999AD: I don't feel like going to those six treasure chests again only to fight those stupid monsters. If I want them so bad, I'll do it after defeating the Giant of Babel or so. =P
    Sephiroth1999AD: *faints* I reloaded and ran into three Marlboros. I think I'll load again just for the sake of it.
    Strizzuth: lol
    Sephiroth1999AD: What the... again!?
    Sephiroth1999AD: *reboots*
    Strizzuth: lol
    Sephiroth1999AD: Oh, not again! That's the... umm, fourth time on the row I ran into Marlboros on a row.
    Strizzuth: hmmm
    Sephiroth1999AD: Does the game have some auto-feature of getting the same enemy after reload?
    Strizzuth: that seems to suggest that the next enemy you will fight is determined before the next fight begins
    Sephiroth1999AD: I've never noticed anything like that before in the game.
    Strizzuth: I've never noticed that in any final fantasy but the first
    Sephiroth1999AD: And I'd have remembered if I had ran into 3 Marlboros first in that cave.
    Sephiroth1999AD: Well... *reloads*
    Sephiroth1999AD: Okay, I made it to the second room without fights.
    Sephiroth1999AD: And to the third too?
    Sephiroth1999AD: Three Marlboros. Okay, I won't run away. LEVIATHAN!!!
    Strizzuth: hehehe
    Sephiroth1999AD: All dead, 4000+ damage to them all.
    I remember Sylph Cave being hard, but I don't remember running into Marlboros and their Bad Breath in the SNES version. If 3-4 Marlboros ambush you and they all succesfully hit your characters with Bad Breath, you're pretty much done for. Try using a strong all-hitting attack as soon as you can, such as Titan or Leviathan. The other enemies in that cave are quite tough too. I'd suggest casting Float on your characters. I can't remember if there's an enemy with an earthquake attack, but at least it protects you from acid/lava floors.

I wouldn't even suggest getting the six treasures in that one room mentioned in the above conversation. The treasures weren't too good, and the enemies were extremely hard. IMHO, fighting four Marlboros just isn't worth it.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Ah well, at least it's offset by the piss-easiest FF dungeon in existance in the Sealed Cave. The toughest fight I faced was a group of 4 bats that were lucky enough to get a couple of vampires drains in before being killed. The Trapdoors all got demolished before they killed a single character, and the Demon Wall must be crying his eyes out at getting made into such a pussy.

man, i just got served by those four malboros on that monster-in-a-box fight myself. so the items aren't useful? i've already got sylph and the knife anyway so i think i'll be heading to the land of summons now...

The item you get in that chest is the avenger sword. It is extremly powerful even if it seems it lowers your attack power because it puts you in auto-berserk.

I don't know for other versions but I played the PSX version and there was a bug with the avenger. You could start the combat with say ... blood sword equipped... and then switch to avenger. You would get the gfx or the avenger attacking, you will get the auto-berserk status ... but the game forgot to change your stats it seems, since I was draining life with avenger now.