Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Underwater Breathing

Default Underwater Breathing

Has anyone else found it srange that the party in Final Fantasy X can breath underwater? So can the blitzball players.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, not really. Final Fantasy X after all.

Maybe they've evolved so much that they have the ability to breathe underwater.

I questioned it at the beginning... then just accepted it

I read somewhere on this forum, that the water in Spira is different. That's why.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by feona17
    I read somewhere on this forum, that the water in Spira is different. That's why.
    The standing theory around the FFX populace is that the pyreflies have properties that alter or oxygenate water, so that players can play underwater. It's not really a question of breathing, it's about being able to hold your breath for a long period of time.

While I myself have accepted this, the idea seems a bit sketchy, and leaves many questions unanswered.

NO no no. Did you notice that only Tidus, Wakka and Rikku can breath under water? Blitzball Players have been trained to hold there breath for hours on End! Thats why Only Tidus and Wakka Can battle underwater! I dont know about Rikku though....
    Too big.

You can question how come they can hold theyre breath for hours/breathe underwater all you like, but thats the same as questioning how come they can perform magic or how does wakka and seymour's hair stay the way it does. you dont question it, you just accept it.

The world is in peril, send in the teenagers!

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrit's_Daddy
    You can question how come they can hold theyre breath for hours/breathe underwater all you like, but thats the same as questioning how come they can perform magic or how does wakka and seymour's hair stay the way it does. you dont question it, you just accept it.
    HaHa! Maybe Wakka uses Aqua Net mwahaha haha ehhe

I dont think anyone breathes underwater. If you remember, when Tidus first went to besaid and was in the water, he gagged when he awakened. It also stated in that approximate time, when Tidus talks to the Aurochs at the beach, Datto says that blitzers can hold their breath for a long time (or hours). Just because someone can fight a battle or 2 underwater doesnt mean that they are breathing....remember blitzers are "battling" underwater for 10 minutes at a time, and also the characters may be swimming when in water, and not always under it.

Maybe Rikku,Tidus and Wakka are the only ones who can swim?

It's not just Rikku, Tidus and Wakka. Don't forget about Yuna in the spring scene.

But yeah, I never really thought about it that much either. Always just assumed they had some special water there or something.

HahahahahahaLol. Everytime I see blitzball... Im like WDF? How do you possibly breath that long underwater?! :) Lol.

RenoB00B00<3

We have evolved far beyond the need for your foolish breathing. *Dies*

Quote Originally Posted by TidusMaster
    NO no no. Did you notice that only Tidus, Wakka and Rikku can breath under water? Blitzball Players have been trained to hold there breath for hours on End! Thats why Only Tidus and Wakka Can battle underwater! I dont know about Rikku though....
    Definatley right there, I remeber where your captured at bevelle and Wakka, Rikku and Tidus are thrown into the water and are forced to make their way through by fighting fishmonsters.

I remeber a peice of dialogue that one of the besaid players says on the beach. It's somthing like.

"Wakka is amazing man, he can hold his breath for almost 5 minutes"

So I'd like to think that they sort've swim to the top and take breaths in BB matches. (Though they dont do it in games)

They say in the game that blitzball players train themselves to hold their breaths almost indefinitely. As was said, it's no more unbelievable than being able to summon beasts or cast magical spells. In short, don't worry about it.