Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trance in FF9 useless?

trance is never really needed except if your me and you like to destroy your home planet =D

Made by me..my first try =)

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo
    At least Trance isn't some kind of OVERPOWERED super uber attack which happens to be called Omnislash or Lionheart which can kill the Final Boss in nearly one hit.

I know why Trance is so unpopular by the players of VII and VIII or others, for that matter.
    Because it's harder to use then those overpowered Limit Breaks of VII and VIII and also they are disappointed that Final Boss battles don't become laughably easy by using Trance. They have to use their heads to use Trance in a good way and not mindlessly mash some buttons.

Trance is good, very good. And it's as easy to get as in VII or VIII. Just do some random battles. Grand Lethal saved me when battling Arc. Tidal Flame let me breeze through the battle with Black Waltz 1.
    Double Black Magic Flare against Necron (I don't use Doomsday, don't have the right equipment) for a quick battle. And then I'm even silent about Steiner in Trance who can do 9999 damage against Necron when he's in trance on lv 48. (Trance is nearly a must against this God. You need to finish him quickly before he can use Grand Cross.)

Conclusion: It's better, it's not overpowered, it's useful, takes some effort to use and is certainly not for people who hope to win a Final Boss battle with one Limit Break. This all together allows the game to remain at least a bit challenging.

The only annoying thing about Trance are all the people complaining about how 'useless' it is.
    Well said. Yes, limit breaks are way overpowered. Omnislash and Lion Heart can pretty much kill any non-Emerald/Ruby/Omega Weapon boss with one hit (or with the final Ultimecia, bring her down to her final speech). Trance works well with FFIX's system, there isn't a super cheap way of killing everything with one hit in the game. It adds some challenge that way. Just because something doesn't do 999,999,999,999 HP damage to a boss with less than 100,000 HP, that doesn't mean it sucks. :rolleyes2
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Im curious as to why so many people can say that Rusty's limitis useless in the later stages of the game as I find saveing MP a great idea (you can just do a standered hit and it will do 9999) also to those of you who can do 9999 damage at the end of the game with special abilitys I ask you this: have you ever gotten Rusty's ultimate weapon? I find it hard to believe, if you can do 9999 damage then you spend way to much time leveling up, yes its nice to learn every ability but I ask you this: do you use all of them? honestly I think most of you will answer no because there is simply no reason. When I fight Trance Kuja just before the end fight ALL of my characters Trance so i do indeed find it very useful.

Word of the wise: dont worry about getting your ap just take it as it comes (and if you decided to ignor this then try fighting in the crystal against the bosses)

The only trances i find useless are Garnet's (cuz i dont use her summons) and Quinna's (you can just eat things sooner...wow). Vivi's is very useful...especially if he knows doomsday. All of Zidane's trances are very useful, and steiner in trance is good too, since he's already strong. Freya's may or may not be, depends on the battle situation.

And really...if you have a trance or limit break or whatever that annihilates the boss in 1 or 2 hits, where's the fun in that? The bosses were made to be challenging, and beat using strategy, not blown away in a hit or two. Besides, what kinda victory feels better, coming out of a fight you almost lost only to make an awesome comeback, or just blowing the thing away in a few moves?

I found trance's useless to me in the game. Never once did they save me during a boss battle and I was already doing decent damage by the time I finished the game.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You may think that but I owe my first Ozma win to Trance! Trance is useful if you plan ahead and let monsters attack your party to build up your Trance bar.

The only thing i absolutely HATE about trance is that you cant save it, and i've had some horrible timings for trance to show up, during random monster fights...and the most infuriating by far was my new file. I was fighting beatrix in Cleyra, and her final move that ends the fight ALSO put zidane into trance...what a waste.

But zidane's trances (when timed right) i find to be livesavers, especially when he fights solo against amarant, or when your party fights Ark (well...maybe not so much ark, cuz he's a wimp anyway).

I always thought that being able to save limits and overdrives and stuff kinda ruined them. You're character's pissed now, he should pissed right there and then.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Banned

I only cared for Zidane's Trances; the other ones were pretty much upgraded versions of old things.
    Zidane at least gained new commands, and cool ones at that.
    Grand Lethal.

What rengori said made sense, you hit overdrive/trance/whatever from taking a pounding, thus you would be pissed, and it would be weird to save that. Actually in IX steiner said that the trance was linked to a high surge of emotions or something like that.

Also the trance in IX just plain looks cool. In X it's just some flashy move, but in IX when you trance...you get all glowy and kickass.

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

I fail to see why people hate Trance, I think it is because they are pissed off they can't spam stupidly powerful limit breaks (e.g Lion Heart, Attack Reels, Omnislash etc). I for one think it is good that you can't time them to work at the same time thus destroying anything that bars your path - If the game was remotely hard you might have even needed to apply strategy (That's right you heard me).

Edit: I almost left out that Trance allows you see the lovely Princess Garnet in a skimpy swimming suit, still hate Trance? Didn't think so.

Quina's were cool, I think I used Cook to get Lv3 Def-Less from some whatshisface outside Burmecia. Can't remember. Vivi's is cool, Zidane's is cool, and Steiner's is pretty awesome.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rengori View Post
    I always thought that being able to save limits and overdrives and stuff kinda ruined them. You're character's pissed now, he should pissed right there and then.
    I agree there. It's also a bit like the extra strength you get when you're under a lot of pressure. For example, exams in school, athletics competitions, you name it. Think about it, the extra focus or adrenaline you get for that performance lasts only for a while there, you can't "save it" for some other moment. The thing is, you need to make sure you're in that condition during those performances. It's the same way in FFIX, you can build up the trance bar for boss fights and then have your characters trance during them.

Quote Originally Posted by VengefulRonin View Post
    Also the trance in IX just plain looks cool. In X it's just some flashy move, but in IX when you trance...you get all glowy and kickass.
    Yeah, I also like that glowing and sparkling and whatnot. FFVII also has some of that during limit breaks, but nowhere near the extent of what FFIX has.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNUMBERS View Post
    I fail to see why people hate Trance, I think it is because they are pissed off they can't spam stupidly powerful limit breaks (e.g Lion Heart, Attack Reels, Omnislash etc). I for one think it is good that you can't time them to work at the same time thus destroying anything that bars your path - If the game was remotely hard you might have even needed to apply strategy (That's right you heard me).

Edit: I almost left out that Trance allows you see the lovely Princess Garnet in a skimpy swimming suit, still hate Trance? Didn't think so.
    That would be a valid argument if people could keep her in trance long enough to be able to use it to see it.

Trance was a wonderful idea in theory, and it's great that they made up an idea behind it, but it was inacted in a terrible manner, much like most of the rest of ff9's battle system.

And about spamming trances, instead we just spam Thievery