Thread: Bands similar to Opeth?

Default Bands similar to Opeth?

Lately, I have found myself listening to the band Opeth more and more. I love how they can go from death metal to stuff more along the lines of their entire Damnation album. I was just wondering if anyone here has heard of this great band and could possibly recommend similar bands to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

last.fm radio > station: artists similar to opeth

Banned

Progressive death metal is a great genre with loads of good bands.

My first recommendation would be Edge of Sanity's albums Crimson (Mikael Åkerfeldt even sings on this one) and Crimson II. Dan Swanö (the man behind EoS and some 30 other bands) is one of the most innovative musicians of our time and both Crimsons are really great pieces of progressive death. They're two single tracks that are both over 40 minutes long and a lot better than anything Opeth have ever produced. Dan Swanö also used to produce Opeth's albums, so they have some close ties. (Mikael Åkerfeldt and Dan Swanö also have a few other projects together.)

Some other bands worth looking up are: Unmoored (particulary the album Indefinite Soul-Extension), Cynic, Persefone, Dark Suns and Pan.Thy.Monium. (Another of Dan Swanö's projects. It's mainly really experimental death metal, but there are some progressive death influences every here and there.) Some of Vintersorg's projects, such as Cronian, Borknagar and Vintersorg might be of interest aswell, although they are more progressive black metal or just progressive metal. The one-man "band" Dan Swanö is also worth mentioning.

There are most likely lots of bands worth mentioning that I forgot, but I'll leave it at this right now.
    Last edited by jrgen; 07-27-2006 at 07:26 PM.

Well, since I'm not really fond of Opeth ... I don't know a whole lot of bands that are similar to them. However, I do know a few bands that get compared to them (some I understand the comparison, some I don't) but here goes:

Agalloch - Pale Folklore, The Mantle, Ashes Against The Grain (No idea why this band is compared to Opeth, but they rule and are possibly the best band around right now, or ever)
    Empyrean Sky - The Snow White Rose Of Paradise
    Farmakon - A Warm Glimpse
    Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yliette View Post
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythra
    Lately, I have found myself listening to the band Opeth more and more. I love how they can go from death metal to stuff more along the lines of their entire Damnation album. I was just wondering if anyone here has heard of this great band and could possibly recommend similar bands to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Aww I like you, You're my new friend. ^^ But the Damnation album was amazing, I'd want to know as well, since I'm to lazy to read up.. I just wanted to state that Damnation is an obscenely good album, it was just beautiful. And then naturally... you have the more death metally albums. Different Opeth albums for the different moods! =D

Banned

Btw.

Do NOT download the version of Crimson II that is split up in 9 tracks. It does not make the song justice and several minutes of music are missing. Try to find a rip of the CD that is just one long track or buy the album. (alternatively send me a PM)

Thanks everyone for the band recommendations. Now if I can just find a hub in dc++ that has this stuff I'll be good . Again thx

Quote Originally Posted by Mythra
    Thanks everyone for the band recommendations. Now if I can just find a hub in dc++ that has this stuff I'll be good . Again thx
    I have one you will be able to find it all in

grindcore.no-ip.org

I know it seems like it'd be a place for Grind and whatnot but it is quite a ... big metal overall place.
    Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yliette View Post
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know about bands similar, but Opeth is smurfing awesome.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

You may want to try In Flames or Katatonic or Dream Theater.

It's difficult with Opeth, because in so many ways they are unique, and every song seems to leave a definable impression that sets it apart from all the others.

Glad to see that people actually listen to music that is worthy of being labled as, because, in all respects, it is:
    "smurfing awesome"

I love dream theater . My friend introduced me to them a while back and I have loved their music ever since. I'll have to try In Flames and Katatonic though. Thanks .

Banned

I think he/she meant Katatonia and not Katatonic. Another project both Mikael Åkerfeldt and Dan Swanö has participated in. Not that similar to Opeth though. In Flames are in no way similar to Opeth and not really worth checking out either.