Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WHY!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Laugh at face of Danger
    i don't like Irvine one bit, he's smarmy and up himself, personally. he's a failed sharpshooter and as such fails life
    I think you hate that character too much. It was how the game was made. It wouldn't have been any fun if he had shot her right off the bat.
    Signature Under Construction

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

Irvine's purpose in the game was to move the plot along. Martine provided the party with a sharpshooter, someone who had the skills necessary to assasinate the sorceress. Other than that he's just an average character.

For me Irvine had more personality than Rinoa. In short Irvine was a womanizing, gun-wielding, phonyish ladies man with a pretty decent limit break
    ...Geddit?

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like Irvine infact he was one of my favourite characters in my mind. His job was to assasinate Edea but he failed because the pressure was too much but then what do you think anyone's reaction to that kind of pressure would be that was THE most important shot in history. Afterwards even though he managed to escape the prison and wasn't going to go back after picking up Rinoa he redeems himself by comming in all guns blazing and saving Squall & Co's asses. Enough said Squall and Co would have died without his help.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiletype
    Irvine's purpose in the game was to move the plot along. Martine provided the party with a sharpshooter, someone who had the skills necessary to assasinate the sorceress. Other than that he's just an average character.

For me Irvine had more personality than Rinoa. In short Irvine was a womanizing, gun-wielding, phonyish ladies man with a pretty decent limit break
    Well, other than the fact that he was someone they had grown up with...

Seriously, you (and by you I mean anyone) can reduce any of the characters to "just to move the plot along" but it's kind of missing the point: he was placed their by the writers with intent, and you shouldn't dismiss that/
    . . . if someone had come and told me . . . that they would leave my life whole, it would have left me cold: several hours or several years of waiting is all the same when you have lost the illusion of being eternal.

-Jean Paul Sartre, "The Wall"

Quote Originally Posted by Laugh at face of Danger
    i don't like Irvine one bit, he's smarmy and up himself, personally. he's a failed sharpshooter and as such fails life
    Failed sharpshooter? hah. Not quite. He failed once, and that was because Edea was a sorceress and blocked his shot using magic.

I like Irvine,
    but I wouldn't say he's opposite of Squall...
    Seifer is more opposite/rival to Squall than Pervine.
    Pervine is more opposite to Zell or whatever..

Reason why he didn't make a move on Quistis is because (SPOILER)he remembered how she was.
    (And, in his mind, he tough she was too hard to deal with. But I don't think that.)

Irvines Role:(SPOILER)
    -Pervine each girl until one of them notices you.
    -Sorceress... (...I can't kill a girl!)
    -D-District Prison. (hehehe, I got myself a Rinoa. ... OUCH!! Quit it!)
    -Go do a helpful hand in spite of him. (Alrigth, Alrigth. I'll go, I'll go)
    -Ok, Let's rock! I'll choose! (''I wonder if the General is still around'')
    Let's shoot Zell in the leg, .... ..Bang!
    -Memories...
    -I'll guide you in the Galbadian Garden, after all, it's my home.
    -We'll go check the surroundings, (''and I'll keep an eye on Selphie's ...'')
    We're flying?...
    -Squall: (Standing next to her, a pretty exited Irvine)
    Most of the characters don't have much roles anyway
    Quistis talk
    Zell Info
    Know-it-all-Zell
    Flying Selphie (orZell..)

When you think about it, he's not desperate in having Selphie, (SPOILER)he can have any other girl.

In conlusion:
    1-Squall
    2-Laguna
    3-Seifer
    4-Irvine
    Last edited by King-Killer; 07-31-2006 at 12:35 PM.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)Some people seem to forget that not even because Edea was a girl, but she was basically his equivalent of a mother. Most people, believe it or not, don't usually shoot their mothers. Whether he's a 'good sniper' or a 'model soldier' (people also forget it's a game that doesn't need to conform to reality) is pretty irrelevant when he's faced with killing his own mother. Give the guy a break.

C'mon C'mon

Why didn't he tell them then? Surely he could have let Squall have a shot- he succeeds in everything else he does.

It takes a lot more to be a sharpshooter than for someone to hand you a gun and say "Squall, I can't, you have a pop".

(SPOILER)He had no idea why they shouldn't know--it was confusing and hurtful, probably, until he figured it out, so he was just isolating himself from these people who should've greeted him.

I don't really like Irvin all that much for the fact that he uses a gun for his weapon. I am not fond of non-melee weapons for rpg games.

Besides how can you raise someone’s strength if they fight with a gun? =P

HE HAD NO POINT IN THE GAME BUT TO KILL THE sorceress. I DID NOT LIKE I THOUGHT THAT THEY COULD HAVE MADE SOMEONE THAT WOULD NOT BE SCARED TO KILL SOME ONE!!!!!!!

♥ Italian Princess ♥ *~Angel Wing~*'s Avatar

Moomba

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Oath
    AHhhh, leave Irvine alone, he was just as important as the other characters, he brouht up the childhood story and they wouldnt even be where they were without him. Pointless? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X
    Some people seem to forget that not even because Edea was a girl, but she was basically his equivalent of a mother. Most people, believe it or not, don't usually shoot their mothers. Whether he's a 'good sniper' or a 'model soldier' (people also forget it's a game that doesn't need to conform to reality) is pretty irrelevant when he's faced with killing his own mother. Give the guy a break.
    I agree with all of the above 200%

Leave Irvy alone you mean people!!!

*~Love is the best feeling in the world~*

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He had a point. He was there to add humor, though I still don't like him. Also, he was one of the orphans so it's only natural that he would meet up with the other orphans he was friends with eventually.

Why didn't he tell them then? Surely he could have let Squall have a shot- he succeeds in everything else he does.
    Martine is a Shumi who had evolved after Laguna possess him.

He knows it is not strategically good for Irvine to tell them at this moment.So he orders Irvine not to do so.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D