Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Movies that dare to be different.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Kefka_Almighty
    Well, FF7 isn't a movie, unless you mean Advent Children, which really wasn't all that different, since the style in which it had once been done had already been used for Spirits Within.
    What do you mean, TSW and AC has the same style? No, unless you count all CG animation as one style, which would be a huge mistake.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I <3 Huckabees

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    What do you mean, TSW and AC has the same style? No, unless you count all CG animation as one style, which would be a huge mistake.
    They used the same style as in super realism for a whole CG movie. I can't think of any other CG movies that attempted to look real.

Having said that FFVII: Advent Children is still no where near original. CG movies? Been done. Realistic CG? Been done. Those fight scenes? Done to death. Broken story? Too many to name. The list of unoriginality goes on.

Roger Rabit. It preverted the world and coaxed adults back into beleiveing that thier imaginary friends could still exist! Well, it gave them some insight to what a pain in the ass they would be if they did.

The blend of live action and animation was a step forward in itself, but the fact that it was a cartoon comedy that demanded to be taken with a hint of seriousness, even from adults, was amazing.

The Matrix was pretty revolutionary for its time and place. I don't remember whether I <3 Huckabee's or Eternal Sunshine came first, but whichever one did was also a movie done well against the norm.

A Clockwork Orange. Of course it was based on a book, but either way, it was different.

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE!! ...but anything by Kubrik is worthy of mention.

NOTE: "A Clockwork Orange" not for your average conservative...

Brian: "If I remember correctly, this is the Physics Department."
    Chris: "That would explain all the gravity."

A Clockwork Orange was fairly unique for it's time, but the opening sequence had actually been a homage, from what I've heard, to a movie by Andy Warhol. Though, again, that hardly keeps it from being unique. :P

And really, "A Clockwork Orange" is a movie not meant for a LOT of people, as it can, at times, be generally grueling to sit through.

And another movie I've always felt was fairly different, I will admit, was Ichi the Killer.
    The more consciousness, the more will; the more will, the more self. Someone who has no will at all is no self. But the more will he has, the more self-consciousness he has too.-Soren Kierkegaard
    Every people has its own Tartuffery and calls it its virtues.-What is best in us we do not know-we cannot know.-Friedrich Nietzsche
    Trickery, bravery: who asks, in war?-Virgil, The Aeneid, Book II, Line 517

Which FF Character Are You?

The Idiots, Dogville, Dancer In The Dark.... anything from Lars Von Trier

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, definitely.

Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke were all very unique and different.

Moulin Rouge was very bizarre the first time I watched it, so I'd count that as a film that dared to be different.

Dogville is *definitely* a very very different sorta film. Almost like a stage play that someone decided to videotape. Didn't love the movie, but still, it broke out from the norm.

Brokeback Mountain. Gay cowboys. C'mon, that's pretty unique.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Very different. Very awesome.

There's soooo many more but I'm too lazy to list. Also, it's interesting that people though Crash was a different innovative film when I thought that what the movie did best was reinforce certain stereotypes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kefka_Almighty View Post
    A Clockwork Orange was fairly unique for it's time, but the opening sequence had actually been a homage, from what I've heard, to a movie by Andy Warhol. Though, again, that hardly keeps it from being unique. :P

And really, "A Clockwork Orange" is a movie not meant for a LOT of people, as it can, at times, be generally grueling to sit through.

And another movie I've always felt was fairly different, I will admit, was Ichi the Killer.
    I'm trying to remember the opening... was that in the milk bar or in the sports car? And what do you mean grueling? It's not like it's boring (which is a connotation I connect with that word).

I've seen Ichi the Killer on my cable guide, but haven't watched it yet. I became disappointed on learning that it wasn't about legendary Zatoichi: the blind swordsman, who has inspired many movies. I've watched all of them (as far as I know) and would like to see more. If anyone here likes non-typical "samurai type movies" then I highly suggest anything involving Zatoichi...especially starring Shintaro Katsu.

Brian: "If I remember correctly, this is the Physics Department."
    Chris: "That would explain all the gravity."

Pink Floyd The Wall. Awsome album becomes an awsome movie that combines live action with animation. So good

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    They used the same style as in super realism for a whole CG movie. I can't think of any other CG movies that attempted to look real.
    They were both the same style because both aimed for realism. Uhh... That'd be like saying all live actions are the same style because they all look equally realistic.
    There's more to a movie than it's graphics. Labelling them solely based on how they look graphically is just silly.

I think AC has a completely different atmosphere, it's got a completely different story, different setting, the music isn't anything like what was in TSW either. In short, not the same style.

By the way, they didn't aim for total realism in AC, like they did in TSW.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Most of Stanley Kubrick's movies were well known for being pretty original and alternate.