Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "79 characters per line" in Notepad

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default "79 characters per line" in Notepad

I wanted to submit my guide (now with even more information) to Gamefaqs, but apparently it needs to have 79 characters per line. How do I do this? On Notepad, of course. I copy/pasted it from WordPerfect, but I still need to make sure it's 79 characters per line. Any help, for the computer-illiterate?

Code:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Copy and paste that line into your guide.

That's 79 characters across, if any of your lines are longer than this x line, you'll have to cut them down.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is there any other way to do that without manually going through over 100 pages of text? 0_o;

If I were you I would just open the document in notepad, paste that line in it, and resize the window according to that line...if you see a horizontal scroll bar appear before you're touching the x line with the right side of the window, you know some other line in the document has breached the 79 character limit. Do you understand?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes, but how can I automatically make all the other text conform to that line of Xs? Is that even possible?

Not in Notepad. You might be able to accomplish that with another program, but Notepad is purposely minimal, you won't find any options like that.

I'm not familiar with many raw text editors, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. Sorry.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ah! I think I've figured it out. It says that browsers don't automatically word wrap lines (why it wasn't appearing too long in my Notepad document).

1. Standard ASCII Text: Unless you are writing a guide in or including information in a non-English language, you should limit your guide to standard ASCII text. For more information, see the sections on Foreign Language guides and ASCII text.
    2. 79 Characters Per Line: 79 characters is a classic standard for text files. In today's browsers, it allows for the file to be read at almost any resolution in any standard browser. Remember, if you're using a Word Processor, make sure you're using a fixed-width font, not a proportional one.
    3. With Line Breaks: Web browsers do not automatically word-wrap text files. Most of the files on GameFAQs use the standard windows CR/LF line break format. When saving your file from a word processor, please try to use this format if you can select it.
    How can I save it like it asks in the third requirement?

It's already going to be like that if you're using Notepad, just make sure you have automatic word wrap turned off in your Notepad settings. (Format > uncheck Word Wrap) so you can make sure you're seeing the actual formatting.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

If you use vim ( http://vim.org ) you can wrap the whole document to 79 characters at once, pretty easily. In Normal Mode, this would do it:

Code:
    :set tw=79
    :set fo=t
    1GVGgq
    tw = textwidth, which we set to 79 characters per line.
    fo = formatoptions, which are options that the gq command will enact; we set it to "textwidth".
    1G takes the cursor to the first line.
    VG line-selects until the last line.
    gq auto-formats the whole document using formatoptions, which now includes textwidth.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The link isn't working for me; is all the info on that site? Because I have no clue what to do with that code otherwise.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Add a www.

this seems to be it? ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim70.exe 7.8mb

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay, I've downloaded it and everything, but how exactly do I use that code to edit my document?

Christ, whenever I submit a guide with that problem, they resize it themselves! They just warn that it will take longer for them to post it.

They never post my guides ;_;

Work hard