Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy V Advance Boxart

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

It's not unlikely that they'll redo FFV's translation, actually, since the PlayStation script was a rush job pieced together from an unfinished SNES translation. And even if they don't, people are free to use whichever name they like.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    It's not unlikely that they'll redo FFV's translation, actually, since the PlayStation script was a rush job pieced together from an unfinished SNES translation. And even if they don't, people are free to use whichever name they like.
    True that, but I though Krile was the official name and Cara the name of the fan translation. Either way, I always used Krile. And since Square named her Krile from the beginning, I think it will be safe to asume that the name Krile will be used here instead of Cara. I could be wrong, but it seems likely. And I think that if the entire game will bring you the name Krile on a silver plate, it will be hard to be stuborn and still call her Cara.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Square's name for the character from the beginning was Klulu; this can be seen in FFV art books and other official resources. But unfortunately, the English script for FFV was host to some careless name changes, where, among others, Syldra was called "Hydra," Ghido was called "Gill," and yes, Klulu was called "Krile." The name "Cara" was invented for the RPGe fan translation, but it isn't any further from the mark than Krile.

As for continuing to refuse to call her Krile in the case that the name is retained in the GBA script, you shouldn't doubt people's willingness to call characters what they like in spite of the errors of a localization staff.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Square's name for the character from the beginning was Klulu; this can be seen in FFV art books and other official resources. But unfortunately, the English script for FFV was host to some careless name changes, where, among others, Syldra was called "Hydra," Ghido was called "Gill," and yes, Klulu was called "Krile." The name "Cara" was invented for the RPGe fan translation, but it isn't any further from the mark than Krile.

As for continuing to refuse to call her Krile in the case that the name is retained in the GBA script, you shouldn't doubt people's willingness to call characters what they like in spite of the errors of a localization staff.
    Well, that's true... I don't see people calling Cyan Cayenne even though the second one is the more 'official' one...
    Makes me wonder why in the fan translation, they used Cara on the world map, but Kururu in battles?
    Why couldn't they use Klulu then, instead of making 3 different names for her 0_o ?

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

That picture looks pretty good, although I can hardly recognize the Amano art characters. So the bottom one is Butz, the Setzer-looking character in the top left is Faris, and that somewhat snobby-looking girl in the top right is Lenna, right? As for the names, I'm not sure. I like the name Cara, and I think both Krile and Kururu sound very bad, but they're official translations too. You can't rename characters in FFV, either (except Butz in the beginning, but otherwise, there's no Namingway in this game). FFIV Advance used names from the SNES version at least for the main characters, while FFII DoS retranslated some of the character names (Guy, Ricard etc).
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

o.k. looks good. i may get it if the new stuff is interesting. its definetly not my favourite cover for an FF. the artwork isnt perticularly great if you ask me. it not bad of course, its just the new GBA artwork just doesnt seem right. not sure why. i prefer the old dragon on the logo but i'll bet it'll be a great game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

i would have preferred that they used one of these works for the boxart:

http://ff5.guide.free.fr/medias/artworks/groupe.jpg

http://www.ffshrine.org/ff5/amanoart/ff5_3.jpg

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, it isn't 'new boxart' for no reason. Amano seems to be doing completely new artwork for the remakes. See: FFIII DS and FFIV Advance. (And, we can infer that FFVI Advance will be the same.)

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD
    I think both Krile and Kururu sound very bad, but they're official translations too.
    More like Krile and Klulu. "Kururu" is just a raw romanization of her name, not an official one.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I prefer Krile over Cara and Klulu.

The boxart is somewhat plain, but nice.

Couldn't Klulu roughly be interchangeable for K(u)ruru? Kururu is pretty close to Kara or Cara if you ask me.
    Sigless

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by abrojtm
    Couldn't Klulu roughly be interchangeable for K(u)ruru?
    Yes, in kana. The difference is that "Klulu" has been written out in Roman letters by Square in official Japanese materials, so it takes precedence.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Just call her "Stan" and be done with it.
    Figaro Castle

i prefer the Japanese / European style FF box arts which are just white with the logo. classy.

the american boxarts are always full of massive pictures of the main characters and look terrible. like people need the big colourful pictures to be drawn to the game or something...

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    Quote Originally Posted by abrojtm
    Couldn't Klulu roughly be interchangeable for K(u)ruru?
    Yes, in kana. The difference is that "Klulu" has been written out in Roman letters by Square in official Japanese materials, so it takes precedence.
    Isn't that why Cara-ru is also a possible translation? Was it used in some FF Anime based on FFV, or was it just a name you've sometimes used to refer to her?
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi