Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who gave the teen girl a guitar?

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Shoden
    When you play an istrument you're using your musical skills but when you use the blinking computer to generate sounds you're really just using your computer skills with no musical skills needed. =)
    Er, no. To create anything resembling music, even using a computer, you still need a certain level of songwriting ability and musical knowledge to put something together to become a song, regardless of what you're using to make it. I'm not denying that to play in a band requires the skill of playing instruments, but to say that music created on a computer takes no musical skill is really quite foolish, and just shows your lack of understanding about what music is and what it takes to create it.

thank you kyono ! Couldn't have said it better myself !
    Chuck Noblet: Can anyone tell me the tragic irony of the Trojan War? Tina? Tina: Um, that horses are friendly creatures yet a hollow, wooden one was used to destroy Troy? Chuck Noblet: Wrong and no. Anyone else? Chip? Chip: That the mighty warrior Achilles was killed by a small cut to his ankle. Chuck Noblet: Chip is wronger. OK, here it is. The tragic irony of the Trojan War is that though it was fought over Helen, who was young and beautiful, by the time they rescued her ten years later, she was old and ugly. Tina: But wasn't recovering the king's wife reward enough for the Greeks? Chuck Noblet: Tina, an ugly woman is never a reward.

Dude, considering I havent said that about a game, a film or a book it doesnt affect me. Those words are my view, people are bound to have others. Also kyono, you know your sh*t man. Well said.

Well, sorry, but I'm going to keep having opinions about things anyway.

All I can say is:

Good thing I don't watch music video's or listen to 'hit' music stations.

Because I honestly had no idea what you were talking about until you said something about Ashley Simpson. I was just kind of.. "..This music exists? Ew.."

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

Music writing on the computer is practically coding but the end result is music, you're using computer skills to make music. alot of the stuff made from computers sounds like crap in the end, just sounds like super techno robot music sang by stoned chipmunks high on helium.... That can be said for parts of techno music in general but err... not to go there.... I just don't see how you can call it musical talent when the stuff was done by fiddling around with a few buttons on a machine. Even so I don't treat instrument music the same as computer generated music, probably wont for... Who knows. I know what you said but I just don't see it.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Music writing on the computer is practically coding but the end result is music, you're using computer skills to make music. alot of the stuff made from computers sounds like crap in the end, just sounds like super techno robot music sang by stoned chipmunks high on helium.... That can be said for parts of techno music in general but err... not to go there.... I just don't see how you can call it musical talent when the stuff was done by fiddling around with a few buttons on a machine. Even so I don't treat instrument music the same as computer generated music, probably wont for... Who knows.
    *Brain hemorage* No fool. Get a program like NoteWorthy composer, and please use your computer knowledge to write me a good 6 staffed midi file, I would like the instruments to be: Piccolo, Clairnet, Glockenschpeil(sp), accoustic grand piano, pizzacato strings, and use the halo synth, I would also like 1 staff to use an Alto cleft, two to use Bass cleft and the other 3 to have treble, the time will be done like a waltz, tempo at 120, vairing to 90, done in G major. NOW! DO IT! Because computer knowledge alone can not help you now. I know your talking about computer distortion with a voice, or I hope you are, because writing music on a computer actually has it's advantages, Nobuo Uematsu started his FF music on a computer, basically the synths we have on our computers now a days are what he used to make all the music for FF6 and down. You are talking about musical distortion on a computer, audio mixing, not actually writing. Writing you put notes on a staff, musical distortion you would already have the basis of the music, -THEN- you would hit the different buttons to change the pitch, key, tone, all of that. -Please- realize there is a difference. *breathes out, and walks off twitching*

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Music writing on the computer is practically coding but the end result is music, you're using computer skills to make music. alot of the stuff made from computers sounds like crap in the end, just sounds like super techno robot music sang by stoned chipmunks high on helium.... That can be said for parts of techno music in general but err... not to go there.... I just don't see how you can call it musical talent when the stuff was done by fiddling around with a few buttons on a machine. Even so I don't treat instrument music the same as computer generated music, probably wont for... Who knows. I know what you said but I just don't see it.
    On a guitar, you're fiddling with a few strings and frets; with a piano, a few keys and pedals; on drums, you're just banging stuff.

If you want proof that primarily computer generated music takes talent, listen to Amon Tobin. Few people can take samples like he does, chop them, mix them, and come out with a piece that feels as cohesive as it would be if performed live by instruments, if not better.

if quote worked i would use it, cause i LOVE YOU Avarice-ness !!!
    Chuck Noblet: Can anyone tell me the tragic irony of the Trojan War? Tina? Tina: Um, that horses are friendly creatures yet a hollow, wooden one was used to destroy Troy? Chuck Noblet: Wrong and no. Anyone else? Chip? Chip: That the mighty warrior Achilles was killed by a small cut to his ankle. Chuck Noblet: Chip is wronger. OK, here it is. The tragic irony of the Trojan War is that though it was fought over Helen, who was young and beautiful, by the time they rescued her ten years later, she was old and ugly. Tina: But wasn't recovering the king's wife reward enough for the Greeks? Chuck Noblet: Tina, an ugly woman is never a reward.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

you honestly think I'd actually attempt to do that? No. And I do mean those crappy boomb-boom shalla walla chipmunk pieces, just to lessen the damage. My problem is when idiots make pieces that sound like what I described and base it off a good song then it ends up being butchered and people have it blasting in the streets. Damn hippies chavs. I didn't refer to the things Uematsu and that did.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

I agree with you but I am a drummer, I have been for ten years, and its not just banging stuff, drumming is about timing. You have no timing then give up, you'll be a sh*t drummer, also hand eye co-ordination is essential for drumming also the technique you use changes everything. I love drumming with a passion. Its what makes me feel alive, except for someone else. Plus, did you know that most guitarists that are solo artists use midi and audio, so basically what you just said again, back fired.

"My problem is when idiots make pieces that sound like what I described and base it off a good song then it ends up being butchered"
    Face it, computers can make beautiful music or horrible music as you said. The thing is, the same exact rule applies to someone playing an actual instrument.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

That means I'd totally flop at drums. Hand-eye coord' difficulties =(. I'm getting a bass and going to get lessons every once in a while.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Dude for some reason I have been very agressive in this thread, im so sorry its not like me at all. I am sorry to hear that you have difficulties, but it is good to hear that you are getting a bass. You'll be great, im sure of it!=)

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Stoner
    Dude for some reason I have been very agressive in this thread, im so sorry its not like me at all. I am sorry to hear that you have difficulties, but it is good to hear that you are getting a bass. You'll be great, im sure of it!=)
    Yeah me too. .-.; I think it's because I took offense to the thought of someone saying you can't -write- good music on a computer and what not. When I take offense, I get anrgy. >=OOO