Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: American Anime

All of the Western-produced cartoons that I have seen that are obviously emulating anime are horrible. I can see why they'd want to emulate anime- as was said many times, lots of people like anime for some reason I don't understand, and they might like the crap these Western studios put out. I see the logic, but the end result is never quality stuff, because one, what is being emulated is most likely crap (I don't think your average anime fan realizes that the vast majority of anime is mind-bendingly bad), two, the people making these shows obviously aren't concerned with producing a quality product, but just care about making something passable. And there might be "good" anime-inspired Western cartoons out there, but I haven't seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by ShunNakamura View Post
    I would love for you to use wiki as an only source at any of the colleges or schools at my area... I have had freinds who get an instant zero for using that as thier only sourch. It does not count as a valid official source.
    really valid point and i'm impressed by your thinking., yes? Wiki is not my only source, and I invoked it only in order to counter your claim that the common usage did not preclude the inclusive definition, when Wiki- which is a popularity game as often as not- includes it.

And even then Wiki supports me by saying that in English countries it is used in that specific way.
    IS COMMONLY used. Not exclusively.

As for that post I do something called reading inbetween the lines. See the person was speaking english, was an english speaker(to my knowledge) and likely resides in an english country. Now I read inbetween see that they were likely talking about the english use of the word.
    And I see them making the same sort of error as saying that the word katana can only apply to a particular type of sword. You seem to be projecting onto me the really valid point and i'm impressed by your thinking. that I don't allow the usage of the other definition at all, when my entire point is that both are valid in their own ways, and when that seems to be exactly what you're doing to me.
    If two languages have two different usages for a given word, both usages are correct, despite language.

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

Not really valid point and i'm impressed by your thinking., rather I was saying that the only source you have shown me thusfar(recall, if you do not show your other sources I can't be sure that you have them. Happened to me once in a paper, teacher wasn't sure of my mine source and I forgot to list the other sources that backed the main one up(the main one was a compilation source) to put it simply my grade was nasty low thanks to that), is not a valid official english source. Which was in response to you saying that you did indeed supply a source[you did but not one that is an official source which is what I was asking, I can easily provide 'sources' for just about anything].

Quote Originally Posted by Ryushikaze
    that I don't allow the usage of the other definition at all
    Of course, I don't dissaprove of using it as an identifying name, provided two things are done-
    1- You do not treat it like it's a style. It isn't. And shame on you for thinking that.
    2- You also use similar locale terminology to refer to Korean, French, and other animations and comics. No special status for the Japanese, ya hear?
    Pretty much, yeah.

Well, not entirely. You just have to discuss more about the attempts at copying the elements commonly found in 'popular in america' japanese cartoons, which IS a valid topic, and technically what the thread was about to begin with.
    THE JAPANESE REFER TO AMERICAN CARTOONS BY THE SAME WORD THEY REFER TO THEIR OWN. THEY ALSO MAKE NO DISTINCTION BETWEEN 'ANIME' AND 'ANIMATION'.

And sure, Rukishi, Japanimation is fine, though it would probably be easiest to just use 'Blank' Animation, where 'Blank' is country of origin.
    Since it is impossible to dissallow the usage of the word without the use of filter completely blocking I would agree that you don't dissallow it. However, you at least had been strongly pushing that you were right and the others were wrong.

And all I have been arguing this whole time is that the proper english definition and the usage in japan are different. And since we are English speakers the majority of us will use it as such(and since it is the ONLY english definition many will likely use it as the only definition, since it is the only official one for thier language). Pretty simple.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

This is exactly why i hate America. Trying to copy quality anime (there is lots of stuff not worth copying) and turn it into crap for 8-year-olds. That's like giving an MP3 player to a toddler, giving them something that they don't understand, cant use, and is totally useless in their hands.