Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin Question

Given that a line has infinite points (if it has less I'd like to know the number):

- which is larger, the amount of points on the line or the amount of points in a solid square which is the area line^2?

Or do they both have the same amount of points?

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

*head explodes*

PG, at least let me finish my morning coffee before I have to ponder stuff like this.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I would say a line because it doesn't end, unlike a square (or cube for that matter), which does have a specified limit as far as dimensions are concerned. Even if the square were big, the line would eventually get to a point where it surpasses the square, despite how long it would have to be.

However, for what you are asking, both of them are undefined, since you let the line go on forever, and are building a square around it. Since infinity times two is still infinity, neither are larger. Concept + numbers = lose.

Blog Entries

Grin

No the line has a fixed length.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The square, then. Since it's line^2, which is obviously more than X. It's not infinite if it has a fixed length.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

There are an infinite number of points in a line, and an infinite number of points in a plane, whether the line / plane are bounded or not. So the only question is how do you compare their infiniteness to each other?

From what I remember of number theory, the set of real numbers is an uncountable infinity. The number of points in a bounded line maps to the set of real numbers. The number of points in a bounded plane seems (without giving it much thought) like it also maps to the set of real numbers. I would guess that they have the same sort of infiniteness: uncountable infiniteness.

This kind of thing can be counter-intuitive. Like, if you compare the set of all integers, with the set of all even integers, it turns out they have the same size; they are both countably infinite. "Size" is defined differently for infinities than it is for actual numbers.

("Countable set" means that the set can be mapped to the set of natural numbers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countable_set )

My head just burst, i have no idea

C'mon C'mon

The square is infinite to the power of 4. So technically greater than the line but both would go on forever so technically they are the same.

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne View Post
    There are an infinite number of points in a line, and an infinite number of points in a plane, whether the line / plane are bounded or not. So the only question is how do you compare their infiniteness to each other?

From what I remember of number theory, the set of real numbers is an uncountable infinity. The number of points in a bounded line maps to the set of real numbers. The number of points in a bounded plane seems (without giving it much thought) like it also maps to the set of real numbers. I would guess that they have the same sort of infiniteness: uncountable infiniteness.

This kind of thing can be counter-intuitive. Like, if you compare the set of all integers, with the set of all even integers, it turns out they have the same size; they are both countably infinite. "Size" is defined differently for infinities than it is for actual numbers.

("Countable set" means that the set can be mapped to the set of natural numbers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countable_set )
    yay for Dr Unne

I suck at math. Does that help?

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

For practical purposes infinity is infinity no matter which way you look at it.

Blog Entries

Grin

However there are greater amounts of infinity as we have illustrated, though the metaphor is misleading: infinity isn't a number.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
    Right, it's like asking if there are more whole numbers (1,2,3,4...) or more even numbers.

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
    Right, it's like asking if there are more whole numbers (1,2,3,4...) or more even numbers.
    There are more whole numbers than even numbers. Both have infinite amount of numbers though.

Blog Entries

A line is more versatile, so I'll go with that. >_>

I sux at math.