Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: America Under Attack thread, part deux.

Originally posted by Cyan Highwind
    NUCLEAR WINTER: The thing that frightens me most
    Nuclear weapons are the most powerful weapons in the universe and yet humans weild them like a kid who found his dad's gun.
    ACTUALLY, if I'm thinking correctly, the only time nuclear weapons have been used in a war was Hiroshima. Then, after seeing the power, everyone pretty much thought "Holy trout. Let's not do that ever, ever again."
    "It's a plastic bag, you stupid bastard!"

Meteor of War

Umm, I think that's a misquote:This is the worse act of terrorism on US soil, not the world.
    thats what they called it on cnn

Originally posted by Morticia
    I don't think it's too terribly horrid to evict Muslims from a site that belongs to a religion several thousand years older than their own.
    The Mosque of Omar was built in the late 600s by, you guessed it, Omar, one of the Orthodox caliphs of the Muslim Empire. That's barely 2,000 years, so it couldn't be several thousand years younger. Actually, let me look up the time period of Solomon, who had the Temple built...

Edit: Solomon's Temple: C.960 BC.
    Mosque of Omar: C.690 AD.
    1500 year difference.

Yes, I know, that was pointless, but I'm a history fanatic.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but President Bush may have delivered one of the finer speeches in American History. I dare not say the finest (I reserve that for Jonathan Edwards's "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" ) but, a very nice job done by Mr. Bush.

*successfully inserts something GOOD in this thread*

The Beatles/1967-1970 Cyan Highwind's Avatar

I agree with you prince of darkness it was somewhere in between "This day of infimy December 7 1945" and "define sexaul relations"

the remainder of this .sig was slaiking the tables, and I didn't know what you were trying to do, so I couldn't fix it, and had to remove it. -Bleys

Neel, that trully was one of the better speechs I've ever heard as well. I especially like the part that I used in my sig:

"It is my hope that in the months and years ahead, life will return almost to normal. We'll go back to our lives and routines, and that is good. Even grief recedes with time and grace. But our resolve must not pass. Each of us will remember what happened that day, and to whom it happened. We'll remember the moment the news came -- where we were and what we were doing. Some will remember an image of a fire, or a story of rescue. Some will carry memories of a face and a voice gone forever." George W. Bush

After that he shows a policemen's badge that was found and he said that, that will always be his reminder of all the lives lost and those lost trying to save others.
    "Everyone in the Swiss army owns a Swiss army knife. That's why no one messes with Switzerland." - Cliff Clavin

Ph3ear my FF1 Mod BlkWiz! Marak's Avatar

I think the thing that really got me thinking while watching Bush's speech was that you could actually see the "quiet, unyielding anger" in his face. Bush, the person - not Bush the president or Bush the politician - was pissed off. He's not gonna let Bin Laden go. And I respect him for that. The speech was good, very good, very inspiring.
    I think what I like best about how Bush has acted throught this whole ordeal: he has always remained human. We've seen him with red, wet eyes in the White House. We've seen the anger in his latest speech (and others). To me, that maked him more real, more accesable. To me, he is a person first and a president later, unlike certain other Prez's of late (Clinton *cough* Clinton). And I respect that. Good job Bush, I'm glad I voted for ya!
    No profanity in sigs please.
    Sigh. What profanity? I quoted Sephex's post from Eyes on Each Other from about a year ago, and any "profanity" in his post was either **** or ***** anyway. Whatever. And you wonder why forum traffic is way down.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Originally posted by Morticia
    A lot of people can't see that. They can't process just how deep this goes. *shrugs*

Basically; if you think you're going to say something that will offend someone who has the authority to ban you; keep your thoughts to yourself. Don't put it on the fora.

Phoenix
    You miss the point, Phoenix. The idea that needs to be destroyed is not fundamental Islam. It's terrorism. I think that there needs to be a distinction made, and in most cases, there is not being.

Also, no, I don't support a war. That doesn't mean that I don't understand how deep this goes. It doesn't mean that I can't comprehend the horror or the affects it has on the world. It means I've thought things through and I still happen to have a different opinion than yours.

I'm sick and tired of being talked down to by people who want war simply because I don't support it. I'm tired of being told that pacifism is immature. You know what? You go kill people. Fine. But the weight of that will rest on your shoulders, and never mine. Because I don't agree with it, and if we aren't defending my right to not support a war, what are we fighting to defend, if freedom itself is so threatened?

And incidentally, Phoenix, no one ever threatened to ban you. Any other member on the board would have gotten the same warning for posting the statements you did. So let it rest, okay? I am.
    Popping up like a psychotic jack-in-the-box to get the Oldbies off their rocking chairs on the EoFF Assisted Living Home's porch >=D

S1lk

I know theres been a lot of talk about "war".. but I think it'd be helpful if everyone read this "Is War Really the Right Word?", to try and put things in perspective.

Sorry if this question has already been asked/answered, but I haven't read all the posts here cuz there are like a billion of them... anyway, at first, I didn't think we were gonna go into war, but now I'm a bit more scared cuz my friend told me the US was mobilizing troops and stuff. Anyway, I'm not really up to date on the news cuz I don't watch that much of it... but who know how close we really are to a war? And if so, how big will it be? Will people be drafted and stuff? I'm just wondering cuz I'm really don't wanna go into a war and stuff. Me scared. Also, I was wondering if your religion prohibits you from killing, do you need to go to war if drafted?
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**

to batchao: if youre dafted you goto war or you goto jail

the remainder of this .sig was slaiking the tables, and I didn't know what you were trying to do, so I couldn't fix it, and had to remove it. -Bleys

jly2klee

Sorry for maybe going a little off topic but i have to say something on behlaf of Canada....

Here in Canada we feel your sorrow and this is a tough time for all of us. We giuded you and helped when in need and right now we are giving blood. Sometimes people think Canada and U.S.A are worst enemies.... But in the real world we are best friends AND WE WILL HELP U.S.A THROUGH THICK AND THIN AND YOU SUPPORT US SO WE SUPPORT YOU. AND TOGETHER WE WILL WIN THE WAR AGAINST TERRORISM!! That is all

That's quite nice of you, jly2klee. I feel the love. I didn't know people thought USA and Canada where worst enemies...

Oh yea, and my friend told me that if you're the only son, your parents can waiver a draft into a war. Does anyone know if that's true?
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**

As far as I know theres no waiver but, all my info comes from my dad and grandpa (grandpa veitnam, korea, dad, desert storm) I like canadans I've be to toronto and they seemed like very nice people, however I HATE the metric system why: because i'm an idoit

OK.
    To all of you who want to nuke/bomb a country/state: Sorry? That will accomplish? Well, I guess if it makes you happy to see a big boom, then sure. Just wipe out thousands. It's not like it's a big deal right? [Sarcasm intended]

To all of you who want to see Bin Laden dead:
    1. WE DON'T KNOW WHO DID THE WTC.
    2. I see. Capital punishment. Brilliant idea. Let's make everyone happy by killing someone who killed 500+ people (Kenya) Too bad it won't bring the dead back. Too bad it will just make him some sort of religous prophet who fought. Too bad it won't really stop terrorism. Too bad eh?

To all of you who want to see Bin Laden tortured: You know, I'm just going to ignore that. I really don't think, this supposedly "civilised" society is even capable of anything resembling torture...oh wait; we aren't "civilised".

No offense, but I would just like to see the guy rot in jail with NO outside communication. I know it would be almost impossible to know where he is let alone catch him, but that is what I would like and I think the people who died would have.

Could I just add: Terrorism will not end.