Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The hypocrisy of the otakus must end.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

The fact that anime DVDs are packaged and priced the way they are sort of proves that there are enough people who are more than willing to put forth dollars to acquire it.

Well, pretty much all I was gonna say has been said. All I can add is that I personally watch tons of anime but that doesn't make me any of the things you stereotyped me as. I like something or I don't, whether it comes from Japan, American, or Emporer Xenu, it doesn't matter to me. I don't put labels and limitations on everything =}

And what Behold the Void pointed out is actually very true. When something gets fansubbed and explodes in internet popularity it almost always gets dragged to the states. Naruto became a huge dealio and before long we had a licensed version of it. Bleach has risen out of the underground and become a cult-thing, and lo' and behold Adult Swim has it scheduled to air soon.

You say these otakus run around loving all things from Japan and loving only things from Japan, but that's not a whole lot better than hating on it all either =o...

Quote Originally Posted by jdr0884 View Post
    Point 1) Anime fans claim they support anime, but in reality 99% of them steal it by downloading it.
    Very few people actually buy it legally. The same goes for video games and computer games.
    Anime fans are not supporting anime at all, they take advantage of fansubs that float around the net and use them
    as a substitute and convince themselves they are actually legal.
    Every anime fan in my community I know that has an interest in anime doesn't buy it... they bootleg it.
    I buy everything legally: movies, games, anime, music, you name it, but it seems most people, especially otakus, simply
    take advantage of America and Japan's dying economy.
    At most anime and games should be backed up if you own the TRUE, REAL, ORIGINAL cartridge, DVD, or VHS tape.
    Point 2) Fansubs DO NOT PROMOTE ANIME, they simply provide people with a means to steal it and keep it freely. Fansubs
    are ILLEGAL, even more illegal than having a bootleg of a non-fantranslated version. Why is this one might ask? Well,
    you can't translate without a license now can you?
    Point 3) Otakus need to stop their complaining about OFFICIAL DUBS and OFFICIAL TRANSLATIONS by the Commercial Companies.
    Seriously folks, what is so great about Japan? Almost all of their ideas stem from Western Cultures. The newer the anime or manga,
    the less original it is. Anime no more than a Cartoon made in Japan; that's all. It isn't "sacred" or "blessed".
    Point 4) All I hear from otakus in my community is that "America sux, they don't respect other cultures." Well EXCUSE ME,
    um take a look at almost every otaku in America. What are you? YOU'RE AMERICANS! You should be proud of being Americans and stop
    taking advantage of life and respect life more.
    Point 5) Not so long ago I came across a band of Asian-American otakus who were making fun of Jewish people. This was completely
    absurd. Otakus claim they respect other cultures? In your wildest dreams. If otakus are so respectable of other cultures,
    then why do I hear them being prejudice about African-Americans, Jewish-Americans, etc. etc. etc. etc.
    The hypocrisy of the otakus must end.
    I agree 100%. I too am fed up with the America-hating otakus.

Gee, don't stereotype anime fans or anything :rolleyes2

Not all of us hate America. We don't all worship anything Japanese. Not all of us only get the fansubs.

Some people don't dislike American dubs because they're American. Some people dislike American dubs because in their opinion, the voice actor that the Japanese version had did a better job.

And why the heck are all otakus suddenly prejudice? I hate prejudice. When it comes to that, it really only depends on the person you're talking about.

And by the way, I don't claim to be an otaku. Sure I like (and am obsessed with) anime and stuff, but I'm not as hardcore as otaku are.

HMAU and Void said everything perfectly, so I don't really have anything to add. =/

Personally, most of the anime I download isn't yet on the US market, so I can't buy it yet. But once it comes out, I do tend to buy it. I'm already planning on getting a some series that I've already seen thanks to fansubs. Downloading isn't always bad anyway. True, many people pirate media, but some people also use it to see if they like it before they drop the cash on it, which I find alright. You should try talk to more anime fans before making a generalization on them as a whole, just because most of the ones you know act like that, doesn't always mean the true majority of them do.

I also find it alright to download anime and keep it if it's never released over here, because otherwise, you'd have to buy a bootleg copy or the japanese DVD. Going bootleg is almost the same as downloading, yet you're paying for it, and buying the Japanese copy means you'd have to have a region coded DVD, pay nifty import taxes, and then know japanese, because it doesn't come with subtitles.

And another show that fansubbing helped get released in America was Azumanga Daioh! <3

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Very few people actually buy it legally. The same goes for video games and computer games.
    You're telling me most people don't buy video-games? You've got to be kidding me... But anyway I don't refer to myself as an "otaku", but I do watch anime ocassionaly. I don't download it or purchase it, but I watch it if I happen to catch it on television. I think that is what most people do who can not afford the import prices of some animes. And as for downloading, there will always be people who will pirate things. That can not be stopped so long as the internet remains in existence. However, I think music pirating is much bigger than anime.

You're being a hypocrite yourself in my opinion. You're complaining that Otaku aren't tolerant of other people, but here you are being intolerant of Otaku. Almost all of my friends, including me, are Otaku. I download fansubs, big deal. You have no idea how hard it is to get anime DVDs when you live in some little town in southern Indiana. They just don't sell them. And even if they DID, I wouldn't have the money. No one in my town will hire a 16 year old. The closest place I can work is the next town over, but I'm not allowed to get my license. But even if I DID have a license, I couldn't afford a car, or even gas. I simply don't have the ability to buy it legally, if I did, I would.

Also, you say that you saw some Otaku ripping on some Jews. That's not because they're Otaku, it's because they're racist none of the Otaku I know are racist, but quite a few of the people I know that aren't Otaku are racist.

You're stereotyping Otaku, which is no different than being racist. Saying that all Otaku are intollerant is the same that all black people steal cars, and that all Mexican's steal our jobs.

Otacon helped bring down Metal Gear! He won't stand for your carping!

Well in the UK you'd be hardpressed to find places to easily buy anime, you either have to order it online scruntinously or illegally download it.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

www.rightstuf.com

Great place to buy DVDs and such for a pretty decent discount. They have specials every now and then. Recently they had a 40% off all DVDs from Geneon, which I used to buy the entire set of Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. They ship internationally, so it should be just as easy to get something in the UK as it would in my middle-of-nowhere country Bermuda.