Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Default Cat

I drew my cat named Cat. This is drawn via my Wacom tablet with a 3 pixel brush in Photoshop (different colors though obviously), no layers or filters or any of that Photoshop voodoo. All I know is pencil drawings, so that's what I did. It didn't turn out too bad, I think.

Here's some progress snapshots I took along the way. Skip to the bottom if you don't care.

Progress 1 - Rough sketch to see if this is going to be good enough to keep going with. And to get used to using the tablet. I never really drew anything "nice" on the tablet before so I'm not very good with it yet. I planned to keep approximately this level of detail in the final drawing, or a maybe little bit better. My original plan was only to use black and white. Alas...
    Progress 2 - ...my plans went awry. I couldn't stop adding more detail. This is maybe 3-4 hours into it and only the head is done. It turns out that what looks like black at a glance is actually a heck of a lot of colors. The color makes a lot of difference, subtle as it is.
    Progress 3 - Maybe 7-8 hours into it now. His back took no effort effort to draw at all. Just random scribbles in large quantity. But oh how I hate drawing white fur. I struggled a lot. I also touched up his face to look less cartoonish.
    Progress 4 - 9-10 hours into it now or so. I didn't do much more. I quit because I didn't want to draw his back paw because I hate white fur. And then I left for vacation for 2 weeks.

*** Finished drawing (I hope) - 12 hours total maybe. I lost track. His back paw was as hard as the front ones. I used a lot of color to make up for not being able to draw in white. I decided to leave the background white so it looks like he's erupting out of a void with his laser eyes ablaze. Or something like that. I was going to use a 1 pixel brush and go over it all again, but I decided this was good enough. I'll see how it looks when I print it and then I might work more if necessary. I had to guess what the end of his tail looks like; I'm counting on not having people look at it, on account of the laser eyes etc.

Leeza, I'll send you a copy as thank-you for letting me eat all your food for two weeks.

All I can say is that's amazing. Excellent job. I could never even dream of doing that.

yes you should enter the competition thread if you havent already

Good job

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

That is beautiful, Unne. And you've really helped me appreciate how much hard work goes into something like this.

Five stars.

Hey, that's a great Cat.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Damn, I wish I had a wacom tablet or scanner so I could use my hands with my work.

I really love the attention to detail in the fur, as well as the inside of the ears. Excellent.

I agree with Meat Puppet's statement and rating.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Thanks. Those aren't stars though. They're RSL's severed head.

I have the cheapest tablet they sell. $90 or so I think. Scanners are cheaper. You could also use a digital camera to take photos of drawings. It works better than one would think.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

This is great work!

Str8 Pimpin'

Nice work, you're reallly good
    -- That cat's gonna be famous one day... -tear- Also vist ma forum!

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's fantastic. And like Meat Puppet said, I like how you did it step by step, because you really get a feel for the work put in.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

the paws are exquisite

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Beautiful.

Wow. That's less of a drawing and more of a photograph. Well done

S*** that is good!
    I agree with Rubah - the paws are perfect for the drawing. The black is so bold that it makes the paws look all soft and delicate.
    Cripes, I hope you are going to be in the competition - or not - you'll obliterate us all!

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love cats so much. I want to cuddle Cat.
    rawr